Replace motors or bearings

Reaction score
Hey all,

Well it sounds like I have 2 motors with worn out bearings. I get the what seems not so rare grinding sound when rotating the front 2 motors. I was going to just leave them and keep monitoring them and when/if they get worse then replace them. However I am getting some bad sounding 'vibrating' noise when my phantom is descending so I am guessing this is due to the 2 motors.

Whats everyones views on replacing the bearings/motors? Have read several people struggling to get the current bearings out so this makes me want to just replace the whole motor. Plus I would feel more happy to have a brand new motor instead of just trying to fix the current ones.

If I do replace the 2 motors, I obviously need to look in to replacement options. I fancy getting some higher quality ones as I get a awful vibration when flying in Alti mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoXivRlmW5w
However, I don't really fancy spending £100 on 4 motors (as I wouldn't want to have 2 upgraded and 2 original motors) when I can just spend around £40 on replacing the front 2 with genuine Phantom replacements.

Am interested to hear everyones views :)
Thanks in advance!

I would just replace the bearings, thrust washers, and e-clips for all 4 motors. It is a simple job, requires no soldering,
or special tools, or skills.

There should be no nightmare scenario getting the bearings out, provided you do it evenly. Don't skimp, and reuse the
existing thrust washers, and e-clips either. You may as well be prepared to do it the right way.

I reached 150+ flights with stock motors. Around flight. #105 I replaced bearings for 2 motors. Now the 4 are still working great. But i bought 4 T-motors Withe Antigravity, just in case I have to replace. (Hope not soon) :p

I would say I have done well over 150 flights as well so it sounds the norm for bearings to go. I will look into changing the bearings and might just give that a go first. I suppose I can always balance the stock motors as well to help with any vibrations.

Where does everyone get their bearings from for the phantom? Pref uk dealer.

Meluk said:
I would say I have done well over 150 flights as well so it sounds the norm for bearings to go. I will look into changing the bearings and might just give that a go first. I suppose I can always balance the stock motors as well to help with any vibrations.

Where does everyone get their bearings from for the phantom? Pref uk dealer.

I use this KIT, check around if you can get in UK. They are great and not standar chinese:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item3cd4323378

$T2eC16ZHJGsFFMe)!MFzBR,I6THOPw~~60_58.JPG

Meluk said:
$40! wow, they cost a bit don't they. Nothing similar from Ebay UK but will keep looking around.
Yes, not cheapy but i tought when had my bad motor: better US$40 for bearings than US120 for 4 stock motors.

Yeah I suppose. As long as the rest of the motor is perfectly fine for several more hundred odd flights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a warning, when replacing the trust washers with your new bearings.
I had to sand down two thrust washers because they were too tight to get the e clips easily into the slot. This is a quality control issue as I noticed the originals had different thickens small brass washers. So I had one fly apart because I had not seated the e clip properly, luckily only three metres up when I gave it full power. I have had two bearing get noisy after about 4 hours, one has been replaced the other will soon follow. I bought them from the States but will not name the supplier yet as I have asked for replacements. They failed with fewer hours than the originals. Warned!!

Steve :!: :!:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik