Removing stock UV filter.

turn the phantom 3 around ... and you have to be gentle with the unscrew process .. do not apply too much pressure, it will come off gently ....

I couldn't get mine off. Cracked UV lense on corner table walking in my house. A week later had issues with recording video. I sent it back . They were cool about it saying they will cover it under warrenty. That was my biggest hangup was getting lense off. Glad I seen this post , thanks guys. I'll remember that for next time .

I had problem this week in getting lens off, in last no issues (on another P3). Rubber gloves, rubber bands no use at all.

In the end I put a couple of very (very ) small drops drops of penetrating oil on the thread gap on opposite sides.
Left it 10 minutes, then it undid very easily, i ensured i cleaned the thread very well and the spots where the drops went.

I did it! Finally! I tried the usual manly "grab it hard and twist it" way and it didn't work, wouldn't budge, thought I was gonna break the gimbal! Then read this forum... I have big hands and found it hard to grip the filter, I tried "The Wife" method but to no avail then the rubber band trick and that worked :)

The rubber band I had was thin but double the diameter of the filter ring so I doubled up the rubber band and put it on the filter and as gently as I could I twisted (REALLY GENTLY!) and then applied slightly more pressure on the rubber band twist and it started to unscrew :)

I've spent DAYS trying all these various ideas, the thing won't come off. My solution: Send the new filters back and forget the whole thing.

Try wrapping electrical tape around it and leave some extra tape to use as a "pull tab". After you get it off the first time it is easy from then on. You cannot pinch it, it has to have pressure evenly applied all around. It took me many hours to get it right but after that it is super easy. Some people recommend warming it up "a little" with a hair dryer or something similar.

Thanks, I tried electrical tape, duct tape, rubber bands, hair dryer, a "touch of machine oil" on the seam and letting it soak a bit. I had my wife try it with her smaller hands. The only thing I haven't tried is the prop removing tool because I don't have one. I've watched 2 dozen utube videos, I tried to find an actual lens removal tool. I'm pretty much down to a hammer and vice grips... :)

Update: Well apparently the light weight oil did the trick after letting it set a little longer. Used a rubber glove and it came off easily....go figure.

Just stumbled upon this thread... had the same thing at the weekend, got some ND filters on the way so figured it would be a good idea to see how the stock one came off...struggled with a moist cloth and 5 mins later it came off. Wish i'd seen this earlier....just tried it now and with the lightest touch it screwed off in a flash, amazing!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20