Release DJI Ground Station for P2V+ Waypoints app 1.0.41

Re: Release DJI Ground Station for P2V and V+ Waypoints app

Hey there

I'm feeling pretty stupid at the moment. I have adapted my Vision+ with the Data Link kit and full iPad GS app but am keen to see how this new DJI Vision app compares. So, new app installed, if I connect my Note 3 to the Phantom Wifi extender I have no connection to grab the maps ans set up the way point route. If I connect to my home Wifi and then run the app I have no option to add any waypoints as it is saying connection to the Phantom is broken.

I know I'm gonna feel stupid but how does this work?

Re: DJI Ground Station for Phantom 2 V and V+ Waypoints app

DJI Innovations said:
DJI is releasing the Ground Station function for Phantom 2 Vision and Phantom 2 Vision+ users at 9am US East Coast Time today, June 24. This function will be available within the updated DJI Vision app for iOS and Android.

Overview
The DJI Vision app is being updated to iOS v1.0.41 and Android v1.0.50.

Major New Features
Ground Station support with:
*Planned flight missions of up to 16 custom waypoints.
*One-touch “Go Home” function.
*Flight safety protection:
**3.1 miles (5km) flight distance limit.
**Ground station is automatically disabled when the Phantom battery level falls below 30%.
**1640ft (500m) maximum flight radius from HOME point, 656ft (200m) altitude limit.

Important: Ensure that your Phantom is running the latest firmware v3.04. Download the updated app from the Apple App Store or Google Play on your phone. If the app is not immediately available on Google Play, you may download it at http://m.dji.net/djivision

Introducing Ground Station for the Phantom 2 Vision Series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaf1uwvdobA

Are the distance restrictions just for ground station/waypoints or global?

You can't yaw it only tilt camera. It poits to next waypoint. Can't loiter.

Have downloaded app and will give it a try shortly. As I read the instructions (DO DOWNLOAD THE NEW USER'S MANUAL TOO!) you can pause the programmed path at any time and maneuver the quad manually , take photos, etc. It is done in the camera mode. All explained in the new manual.

To get the shot, enter another waypoint that gets the camera facing your target. That is, go past where you want to go as 1 waypoint, then set another waypoint from there so that the bird is facing your target.

I am not terribly happy with the 500 metres from home position so I will be working on using the full GS platform like Wattsn.

Good times :ugeek:

Geert said:
wattsn said:
Hey there

I'm feeling pretty stupid at the moment. I have adapted my Vision+ with the Data Link kit and full iPad GS app but am keen to see how this new DJI Vision app compares. So, new app installed, if I connect my Note 3 to the Phantom Wifi extender I have no connection to grab the maps ans set up the way point route. If I connect to my home Wifi and then run the app I have no option to add any waypoints as it is saying connection to the Phantom is broken.

'Ensure your mobile device has access to the Internet. Due to the map data required, Wi-Fi connection is recommended. Internet access is required to cache the ground station map, if Wi-Fi is unavailable, mobile data service is required. Open the DJI Vision app camera GUI and swipe left to launch ground station. DJI Vision app cannot connect to your aircraft while it is accessing the Internet. Hence, you may prompt with the warning message such as “Connection to Phantom Failed”. This message will not appear when your aircraft is re-connected to DJI Vision app. Map data of your current location will load. You can then drag the map to cache nearby areas for future use.'

This is in the manual page 56

http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... 1.2_en.pdf

You have to download the map of the area where you would like to fly first and after that you can connect to the Phantom XXXX

Geert.

Thanks, but now I'm totally confused. Firstly, I do as the manual says but it is rather contradictory

Disconnect from the Internet and connect the DJI Vision app to your aircraft. Check that remote control S1 switch is
in position (position-1) and the upper left corner in ground station display and wait for the aircraft to
enter “Ready-to-Fly” mode (LED indicator blinking green) before swiping left into ground station. Tap

How can you check "the upper left corner in ground station display" if you have not yet swiped left into the GS display. Huh! Also, my MODE indicator just permanently says N/A

Not exactly intuitive (I have used the full iPad GS app just fine), or is it just me? Have tried on 2 x Android devices and my iPhone. Exactly the same. All say MODE N/A - UPDATE: once connected to Phantom WiFi the display just says MODE ATTI. Never says MODE GPS - and unable to tap on any items other than Speed (top centre), map display and back to DJI Camera screen. Does nothing when I tap screen to add a waypoint.

Downloaded app and decided to test out in open field. Waypoint 1 was about 50 Feet away from me and altitude 98 (default). When I hit go the Drone did not go up to high altitude quick enough and actually was moving at ground level for a few feet until it got caught under my car. Luckily only one prop broke and I cancelled the flight. Maybe Waypoint 1 should be right above the drone to get high and clear and objects. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I love the guinea pig trials :lol:

I want to see how much wreckage there is before I have a go lol

;)

pyrophantom said:

;)

It's a big fat FAIL from me as I cannot even get the app to behave as per the manual. I'll just stick with my upgraded Data Link version and full iPad GS app.

BTW, I have tried the new DJI Vision app both with the newly added 2.4GHz Data Link unit connected to the CAN Bus and disconnected. No difference.

UPDATE - Done first few flights (you need 6+ satellites to be able to add waypoints so no creating the route whilst indoors) and it is very good. Too few features to be amazing but will do same flights tomorrow with the full iOS GS app and onboard Data Link upgrade. I will provide a comparison in terms of flight accuracy etc between the two.

So my next project is going to get rid of the 500 meters limit. Going 30 km/h for 20 minutes it should be possible to fly 5 km away. What is use is this function if it can only be used within an area which I can also fly by hand?

MikeySoft said:
MikeySoft said:
I'm still charging my batteries but I was wonder the same thing about yaw control. The video said it has a link to a FAQ but I cannot find any. There is more info in the updated manual but not that much.

Link to my YouTube channel, will try to post something soon.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MikesHDVideos
Ok, I did a short test flight.

First Impression, I don’t like not having control.

When I first tried YAW, It looked like it was yawing but it was just turning toward the next waypoint. I could not make it YAW as it was flying to the next waypoint or when it was hovering.

The app on my Nexus 5 also froze and the end of the mission. I had to cycle power to get the app to run again. IMO my phone screen is too small for the Ground Station. I will need some way to attach my Nexus 7 to the controller. The present attachment is too small to hold it.

Bottom line, most likely I will not use it. Hopefully they will improve the app.
I tried pausing the mission by touching the || icon on the display as stated in the updated manual. The flight was paused and just hovered. Still could not yaw while the mission was paused. I can control the camera but not where it is pointing (other then up/down). I touch the > icon and the mission continued. Moving the S1 switch puts it back in my control. I did not see a way to continue the mission from the point I took control so I just flew it back.

pyrophantom said:

;)

My thoughts exactly!
Besides, I'm stuck working today and there are severe T-storms moving in... no flying for me today.

There's a workaround for needing wifi and internet connection at the same time. Set your wifi to a static IP and leave gateway and DNS blank.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16830&p=158054#p158054

wattsn said:
Hey there

Ok I got it working, Waypoint one had to be directly above so the drone gets altitude. From there it's clear of hitting anything.

I couldn't get the map to load. I did have internet access while flying and could access the maps of 3 other map related apps without a problem.

I didn't read the user manual (yet, for ground station), so I probably missed a hoop to jump through, but still disappointing that it's a more complicated process than just 'use the app'.

I opened up the app and located my area before flight so it downloaded the map. Only need small amount of maps since it won't go far.

Re: Release DJI Ground Station for P2V+ Waypoints app 1.0.4

You don't have to have Internet acces , just cache a map of where your flying.

Mori55 said:
You don't have to have Internet acces , just cache a map of where your flying.

Right, that was my point I guess, I didn't RTFM -- I was doing this while the bird was already at the park and ready for take off.

Next time, before I even turn the bird on, I'll open the GS portion of the app and make sure the area I'm currently in is cached before even getting out of my car.

My original goal was to be able to post, email, etc while still in the air or without having to disconnect then reconnect between batteries or whatever. Once you set the wifi connection to static it saves it so you're good going forward.

Forgive me if someone mentioned this already. I am one of those w/ no FPV on an ios device. This update did not correct my issue. If anyone else has any success please chime in.
Will

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31