Registering with FAA as hobbyist and/or commercially...

Reaction score
Do I only need to register commercially if i want to use my drone as a hobby and commercially? Or do I have to register seperately...??

Do I only need to register commercially if i want to use my drone as a hobby and commercially? Or do I have to register seperately...??
It is kinda two different things. You have to register your drone to fly it. Period. Five bucks and an FAA registration number.

If you have commercial ambitions, you yourself have to be licensed as a drone pilot, refered to as "part 107" You have to take a little test.

It is like registering your car, and then getting your license.

That is a link that has the answers you seek - it's not a question. :)

It is kinda two different things. You have to register your drone to fly it. Period. Five bucks and an FAA registration number.

If you have commercial ambitions, you yourself have to be licensed as a drone pilot, refered to as "part 107" You have to take a little test.

It is like registering your car, and then getting your license.

Ok. That explains it. I just registered it as a hobby. In the future, maybe i'll register it commercially. Thanks!

Ok. That explains it. I just registered it as a hobby. In the future, maybe i'll register it commercially. Thanks!

Don't bother registering commercially unless and until you pass the Part 107 exam. You registered as hobby, that covers you and any UASs you buy - put the same number on all of them. If you get your 107, then you can register commercial. There's no advantage to doing so until then.

Don't bother registering commercially unless and until you pass the Part 107 exam. You registered as hobby, that covers you and any UASs you buy - put the same number on all of them. If you get your 107, then you can register commercial. There's no advantage to doing so until then.

Ok. Thanks for the advice. Seems solid.

Reactions: joet

Wish I knew that a week ago. LOL Just registered my new P4pro drone as "commercial" and apparently can't even get it out to fly it and get familiar with it until I have my Part 107 complete? Is it possible to change the registration to hobby, then back to commercial once Part 107 completed?

Wish I knew that a week ago. LOL Just registered my new P4pro drone as "commercial" and apparently can't even get it out to fly it and get familiar with it until I have my Part 107 complete? Is it possible to change the registration to hobby, then back to commercial once Part 107 completed?
Not so, you can still fly your individually registered bird for hobby purposes. Asked a similar question of the FAA just last week. Their response confirmed that a registered drone can be flown under the hobby rules. An individually registered bird can be use hobby, but a hobby register bird can not be used fro Part 107 flights. and anyone can fly a registered bird for hobby, but only a Part 107 holder can fly 'commercial' flights.

When you register commercially (req'd for Part 107) it's synonymous to the license plate on a car. It remains on the specific vehicle.

When you register as a hobbyist (req'd for Part 101) it's sort of analogous to a Driver's license. You can fly any r/c aircraft, non-commercially, so long as your reg. # is affixed to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.