Reflective tape signal booster.

That is exactly right. You no longer have the 360 degree transmission but instead in a cone in front of the surf boards.

Interesting. Using a range booster today I immediately lost signal at 6000 and considered that "The farthest", but perhaps I just moved the remote to the wrong angle! (I walk around while I fly haha)

Interesting. Using a range booster today I immediately lost signal at 6000 and considered that "The farthest", but perhaps I just moved the remote to the wrong angle! (I walk around while I fly haha)

Yes, the line becomes much thinner the farther you get out... got it point it right at the thing. Anything in the way becomes more of an issue as well.... think pinpoint in nature.

Yes-- keep the attenna facing the Phantom for sure.

Reactions: Monico Garza
On the transmit side the energy or signal from the controller actualy diverges and is more dispersed or difused as it moves away from the control transmitter. Even though it is more focussed or directional in nature due to the refelctor this makes it less critical that it is pointed directly at the quad.
However, on the receive side only the signal or energy collected by the parabola from the quad is focused onto the antenna. This combined with the more omnidirectional nature of the quad's non-reflector assisted antennas makes the receive 'side' of the system the most critical for proper alignment, and thus maximum range, between the controller and quad.

Lol you guys are hilarious. I'm grabbing the popcorn!

On a side note how much did the windsurfer cost you? I've seen multiple versions and will be purchasing one myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol you guys are hilarious. I'm grabbing the popcorn!

On a side note how much did the windsurfer cost you? I've seen multiple versions and will be purchasing one myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got an awesome solid aluminum one off eBay for like $28. USA, fast shipping.

perfect curve (verified with laser!), no defects.

On the transmit side the energy or signal from the controller actualy diverges and is more dispersed or difused as it moves away from the control transmitter. Even though it is more focussed or directional in nature due to the refelctor this makes it less critical that it is pointed directly at the quad.
However, on the receive side only the signal or energy collected by the parabola from the quad is focused onto the antenna. This combined with the more omnidirectional nature of the quad's non-reflector assisted antennas makes the receive 'side' of the system the most critical for proper alignment, and thus maximum range, between the controller and quad.
This is really interesting and makes total sense when considered.
I wonder a combo of two sets / one parabol, the other a well tuned standard and the whole rc system fine tuned.
My only usage interest is to work afforested areas without the obvious issues.
I don't have the meters and oscilloscope, nor likely the proficiency to fine tune coils and circuitry / it may be less accessable than in 'the olden days' / the days of yore!
The transmitter on the bird may be the one to tweak / bs! Perhaps the 'tweaking' can be done through software anyway / on both.

It's amazing to me that despite light bridge and all it claims to be, people are still trying to boost signal. I bought my phantom because it has light bridge, with the expectation that I won't have to mess around with boosting signal. I hope that holds true. I only need solid signal upwards of 2.5k', which is likely the most I'd need. I may have to orbit something 1k' out with perhaps a 250' radius sometimes, but that's about the most I'd ask of solid light bridge connection.

Amazing???
It's human nature to explore and achieve.
In this case it is the limits of the h/w (mostly the battery actually).

Not condoning or participating in this, just sayin'. ;)

Reactions: david wettlaufer
It's amazing to me that despite light bridge and all it claims to be, people are still trying to boost signal. I bought my phantom because it has light bridge, with the expectation that I won't have to mess around with boosting signal. I hope that holds true. I only need solid signal upwards of 2.5k', which is likely the most I'd need. I may have to orbit something 1k' out with perhaps a 250' radius sometimes, but that's about the most I'd ask of solid light bridge connection.

I regularly fly between 2K and 4K out with no signal problems. However, I also often fly in a large park where I always lose all signal at a specific spot about 800m out. There are several high voltage power lines down there , but I don't know if there are also cell towers or other sources of interference causing the signal loss.
When flying down there with windsurfers on, I get 3-4 bars of signal which is enough to get through the interference with no risk of an unplanned RTH. Very useful in my opinion.

Has anyone seen a DIY version of the windsurfer mod that is one single piece for the 2 P3 antennas that holds them perfectly parallel? Id like to print one up and give it a go, but if someone else has already produced a template then I can skip having to design one. I

I am curious about this LOS business. At my favourite fishing location I regularly fly between 2K and 4K meters out. I am getting on and my eyesight is not all that good anymore, so I tend to lose the quad at around 800 feet. What difference does it make whether I can see it at 500 feet or 1000 feet?

Any responsible pilot will have mapped his mission, checked elevations, obstructions etc. How does being able to actually see the aircraft at a 1000 feet make one a safer pilot?

By far the majority of mishaps I read about happen in the 10 - 300 feet range anyway!
Nice response, I could be wrong, and don't even care but these LOS regulations are conditional to those commercial fliers as a condition of getteng their exemption from the FAA. Tell me more about the product please.... :)

wanted to offer a tip I found - this guy is a nut or certified genius. I watched his youtube and went to his site and got these free template to make and put on my antenna and **** it works and solves a lot of problems - its all FREE and all you need is a printer and Tagboard and aluminum foil.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues