Reflective tape signal booster.

Reaction score
I just got this today and I know that it has been talked about on here but I flew the phantom today and reached out over 5500 feet before I got a weak signal warning. Crazy how something so simple makes such a big difference. Before I was about to barely get 3000 feet if I was lucky before I got the warning. I am going to send in my controller and have the transmitter booster installed I just don't want to be without my phantom right now.

image_zpsrnb115rt.jpeg

image_zpsqp7upqh8.png

That's good to hear. I went to ebay myself the other evening and I hope to have some later on next week.

This was in a highly wooded area. When I went the other direction over town I made it 3700 feet and at 4000 I lost all signal. I hit the home button and it flew itself back into range.

Today I got to 2300 before losing video, and then I flew it back using the map.

I ordered the solid aluminum signal booster and it should arrive this week- I'm hoping it will allow me to go at least 5000 feet.

Solid aluminum?

How much cost and weight?

Anything thicker than foil is a waste. I doesn't even need to be opaque.

Hint: Microwave oven door.

Reactions: david wettlaufer
I have that same booster. It's great but the signal is highly dependent on your area. I think if there is a lot of noise in the air as far as radio signals or cell towers then it cuts down the range. That little $30 mod took me out to 1.5 miles where I had only been able to do 3300' max.

Took an early morning brisk 37 degree flight. I pushed out to 6000 feet and at 6300 feet starting get weak image signal.

IMG_3594_zps3azgkek4.jpg

IMG_0093_zpsmwzhuwme.jpg

I use the exact same aluminum foil windsurfer and just a couple days ago took it out to 11,800 feet and still had full signal strength with a lot of battery left. It was my first real long distance run and didn't want to get too cocky. The windsurfer works great.

And to the concerned person worried about long distance flying, as you can see I would have landed in the San Francisco / Sacramento Delta had something gone bad.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443982884.917232.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443982900.448210.jpg

In an afforested area, a signal amplifier would be a great advantage. I don't have one, however, having read this whole post I note a concern in regard others intervention and dissatisfaction with their ideas of who 'we' are.
The need for strong reliable signal is obvious - terrain is a viable factor. In the forest, plantations, it is easy to lose sight of the thing unless the altitude is so high, that photographic assessment is drastically reduced.
Badly written..'scusi

I never thought about copper but all that's on the piece now is aluminum tape. It would be interesting if you formed copper and tried it.

From a physics point of view copper is a better conductor but this reflector is not relying on material conductivity.

Aluminum foil is lighter (not that weight is a concern here either), less expensive, and less prone to corrosion.

Bottom line, neither will matter in this application.

Thanks for the input N017RW.

I wasn't going to post this picture because of the types of comments here but I decided I will apologize for my part in arguing and say fly your way and realized you are responsible for your actions. I do want to show that this product does work to a certain extent. I have found you need to turn yourself in the direction of your phantom and try to keep it within the "cone" of the signal, if that makes sense?

IMG_0099_zpsilcmpvup.png

I have found you need to turn yourself in the direction of your phantom and try to keep it within the "cone" of the signal, if that makes sense?

That is exactly right. You no longer have the 360 degree transmission but instead in a cone in front of the surf boards.

..it's a shame DJI don't have removable antennas, like wireless USB devices using the SMA screw thread...then a pilot could add some higher gain antennas with all these other add-ons.

Maybe the next DJI release, the controller will have them.

..it's a shame DJI don't have removable antennas, like wireless USB devices using the SMA screw thread...then a pilot could add some higher gain antennas with all these other add-ons.

Maybe the next DJI release, the controller will have them.

The controller cannot facilitate antenna modifications using standard connectors and receive Part 15 acceptance from the FCC so you will never see this. The standard connectors found inside at the PCB is allowed because the mechanical mount of the antenna to the controller is for all intents and purposes permanent.

Thanks for the input N017RW.

I wasn't going to post this picture because of the types of comments here but I decided I will apologize for my part in arguing and say fly your way and realized you are responsible for your actions. I do want to show that this product does work to a certain extent. I have found you need to turn yourself in the direction of your phantom and try to keep it within the "cone" of the signal, if that makes sense?

IMG_0099_zpsilcmpvup.png

Nice!

I just bought an aluminum version off eBay for $28 and it more than TRIPLED my range from 1800 to 6000.

Lost signal abruptly at ~6000 rather than get a "low signal" warning, I wonder if I moved the remote out of the "Cone".

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20