Recommended VHF Radio Brand

Reaction score
I just obtained my Part 107 and I was wondering what people on the forum think is the best value per dollar VHF radio on the market?

Thanks

Can’t answer your question as i don’t have a 107 but might I suggest you also join our sister site Commercial Drone Pilots Forum
There you might find lots of info helpful to you ?

I just obtained my Part 107 and I was wondering what people on the forum think is the best value per dollar VHF radio on the market?

Thanks
Assuming you are just looking to listen, Uniden UHF/VHF scanners are very good. You can't go wrong with one of them. I do have one of these.
I have read many disappointing reports about BaoFang but have had no experience with them.

FYI... VHF is a frequency range in the radio frequency spectrum. There are numerous users as there are on VLF and UHF. Boaters will not be the only users on the VHF spectrum. The VHF range is from 30Mhz to either 299 Mhz or 300 Mhz, depending on who you talk to. The aviation band is from 118 to 136 Mhz AM. This is well within the VHF range. Other users such as Fire and Amateur Radio use the VHF band, but not on the aviation band. Both AM and FM are used in the VHF band.

If you are considering a transceiver so you can talk, you can't go wrong with Motorola equipment. I worked five years for a company that used Motorola two-way radios and we never had to repair or replace any of them.

Last edited:
The VHF range is from 30Mhz to either 299 Mhz or 300 Mhz, depending on who you talk to. The aviation band is from 118 to 136 Mhz AM. This is well within the VHF range.
Absolutely. However, most handheld radios that are not specificly aviation band carve out that band (group of frequencies) from available VHF frequencies.

Reactions: imoffit
Absolutely. However, most handheld radios that are not specificly aviation band carve out that band (group of frequencies) from available VHF frequencies.
Every VHF/UHF scanner I've had for the last 30 years has included the aviation band. These include Bearcat (Uniden) and Radio Shack equipment. I have owned both base and hand-held models. I am not doubting that it is possible. I'm just saying I've never come across one and I have had several of each.

Yaesu or ICOM. The Yaesu FTA-550AA is a good choice, but really you don't need it.
You will need to do a lot of listening to even understand what they are talking about.

Reactions: Photony
Yaesu or ICOM. The Yaesu FTA-550AA is a good choice, but really you don't need it.
You will need to do a lot of listening to even understand what they are talking about.

I’m a commercial Remote Pilot here in Australia with an AROC (Aeronautical Radio Operators Cert). I’m using an airband VHF handheld on a regular basis and not just to listen, I’m often flying in environments where I am required to broadcast in the blind or communicate with manned aircraft. Also if you read the signature you’ll understand why I like to think that I have half a clue when it comes to radio equipment.

If you’re looking for something simple to use, rugged in build with good availability of accessories and at the lower end of the price spectrum I suggest the Icom IC-A16e. It’s also quite small and easy to hand. It doesn’t have gps and many of the value added feature of other models but it works, it’s easy to use and it’s as cheap as any airband handheld ever is.

Regards
Ari

I’m using an airband VHF handheld on a regular basis and not just to listen, I’m often flying in environments where I am required to broadcast in the blind or communicate with manned aircraft.

Sounds like you need one. In the US, the FAA does not really want Remote Pilots cluttering up the airband. Listening is fine. So, it's definitely location specific.

Sounds like you need one. In the US, the FAA does not really want Remote Pilots cluttering up the airband. Listening is fine. So, it's definitely location specific.
That's a pretty fair assessment here as well Dave. The general advice when you're doing your training is if you can get away without it then don't broadcast. It's just that in my case I've done a fair bit of work in military aviation areas, a couple in approach and departure corridors and as I live near the Gold Coast some places have a huge volume of low flying helicopter traffic catering to the tourist trade and it's just necessary and of course, when you do a certain type of work more of that type seems to always come your way.

Personally, I'm happier flying way out in the sticks. I find having to work the radio just takes away from your concentration needed for other things.

Reactions: Dave Pitman
That's a pretty fair assessment here as well Dave. The general advice when you're doing your training is if you can get away without it then don't broadcast. It's just that in my case I've done a fair bit of work in military aviation areas, a couple in approach and departure corridors and as I live near the Gold Coast some places have a huge volume of low flying helicopter traffic catering to the tourist trade and it's just necessary and of course, when you do a certain type of work more of that type seems to always come your way.

Personally, I'm happier flying way out in the sticks. I find having to work the radio just takes away from your concentration needed for other things.

I've flown adjacent to the end of the strip at Whidbey NAS (Washington state) in a 0' grid cell (LAANC) and my CoA didn't ask or require me to monitor the radio. Just a phone call before and after and available to receive a call during. And I'm a part 61 private pilot with radio experience. Military planes of all sorts were wizing in and out during my op. It was pretty cool. I was really surprised they approved my request. Access has really changed since 2015, that's for sure!

I've flown adjacent to the end of the strip at Whidbey NAS (Washington state) in a 0' grid cell (LAANC) and my CoA didn't ask or require me to monitor the radio. Just a phone call before and after and available to receive a call during. And I'm a part 61 private pilot with radio experience. Military planes of all sorts were wizing in and out during my op. It was pretty cool. I was really surprised they approved my request. Access has really changed since 2015, that's for sure!
That sounds like one common theme between the U.S. and Australia at least. It’s so much less hassle dealing with the military when flying in their airspace than in civil controlled airspace. Not that they are any less safety oriented, they are just so real world about it. We don’t have a system like LAANC here but you ring up the contact, tell who you are and what you need to do and assuming you’re authorised to be there and if it doesn’t clash with their use of the airspace 5 minutes later you get the go ahead and a frequency to monitor “just in case”. If it’s an airforce facility then there’s generally never a need to broadcast, if it’s army operating helis at low level maybe you will.

Half your luck on the PPL, I can’t pass the medical requirements for manned aviation any longer and out here you need certification even for ultra light but at least I can still fly with my feet on the ground.

Reactions: Dave Pitman

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.