Recent change to WA State Park policy regarding UASs?

Reaction score
As we all know, flying in Washington State Parks is verboten. Or, rather, it was - apparently there's been a recent change to WAC 352-32-130 that might give us a path. According to this rule revision, flying in a park that didn't already have a designated flying area is now permissible under these circumstances:

Remote controlled aircraft may be flown in any state park area pursuant to written permission from the director or designee. In granting such permission, the director or designee may specify time, geographic, and elevation restrictions, and any other restrictions necessary to protect the public, park visitors or staff, or park resources. While operating a remote controlled aircraft pursuant to written permission under this subsection, the operator shall be in possession of a copy of the written permission and shall produce it upon request by parks staff. Permission granted by the director or designee to fly a remote controlled aircraft is subject to rescission as necessary to protect the public, park visitors or staff, or park resources.

If I read that correctly, you can ask a park official for permission and if they give it to you (in writing), you're in the clear. Anyone taken this route yet?

That should be called the Vicky Pollard revision.
tumblr_ma5yywxkry1r60h6bo1_500.gif

Just big brother making sure it keeps a tight leash on anything that might harm the fragile ecosystem... Unlike all the RVs running gen sets 12 hrs a day...

Best way to find out if your opportunity exists is to call the Park Director and ask. I wouldn't go with a Park Ranger's word... Go straight to the top, get approval, or ask for reason for denial.... NICELY! I've had good luck with gaining permission to fly. I'll also offer copies of what you take vid/pics of.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic