Rebuild Phantom 2 battery packs?

Reaction score
Has anyone actually tried to re-build a phantom battery pack with new cells?... maybe higher capacity or better quality?

I have a couple packs getting puffy and considering trying to not just throw them away...

I think it's a pity that DJI does not offer a return/rebuild program....

Taking the battery pack apart is almost distructive and then I consider not safe or confident to fly.

Taking the battery pack apart is almost distructive and then I consider not safe or confident to fly.

I've build my own battery packs all my R/C life (40 years) I have no problem rebuilding a pack if I had the correct cells... you are correct in being concerned about taking them apart, you would have to be very careful not to damage the case beyond being able to put it back together safely...

I was hoping for more info.... like where to get replacement cells etc....

HOWEVER After opening up a puffed/bad pack I can see replacing the cells would not be worth the time.

The individual cells have very short +/- tabs that stick out of them. These tabs are soldered all at once to the "power plate". There are 6 total cells meaning three sets of two cells in series. This makes 12 tabs which would be nearly impossible to de-solder without destroying the "power plate".

OH WELL....

I know this is OLD, did anyone ever have luck rebuilding them? I am about to attempt a rebuild. Still looking for the right cells to use de-soldering wasn't hard, so i figured re-soldering would be somewhat easy. It's a 3s2p pack.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 608
Aside from the soldering challenges, the cells are not a standard size making a similar capacity pack unlikely.

Not a very practical idea to say the least.

There was a video around which gave a good how to replace the battery pack. It used a smaller capacity battery to fit in the case. I can't find it now.

Whilst there are still third parties selling aftermarket P2 batteries it would seem sensible just to buy those.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.