Realistic p3a range?

On the maiden flight I did 13,000' over water. On the next flight I did 18,410' at the same location. Video & control were flawless. I only came back because the battery was warning me it was time to come home. When it warms up I will take her to the Eastern Shore & fly to the control/video limit over farmland to determine her full potential. This way I can land remotely if necessary & recover her from land. Aircraft & controller is totally stock.

QSdXHaAXaZBqfpUQYdip6UPKKM9Y-WODj_yowvbsT1UTKGTwfpO7HHC0mxaitGlxzO68cXj5TuDNcXulkm-ZyxgoXOzSx_yutzHpxgBjKsxNIzUasyLb14ZlKnEaKYEEFil9lo2qvMjVSz36RvJWcmwA7oSKsQjIeC8n11p61MVP90PcO6l5QD9xwrCLfRI6IW84rNBo--jW1e8dM1f2R_QDhIHypXNYDszQyCFZ9JuTe81mU3YDudBz8RJITo1Fm-YBkX7Bd4CMfHELnF6ySzadXSF1fGymaJTQAEXXGrtoDVf4Cg3vFgYoy40hsu_FlrWVVljWjivcwBPsVe0Cc2S6CS6_G1IrvvpxIgEnIVQyYHClG8uSjPQq5_AU5d7tg_3UPl2-qGVvU5UsiLEk7ZWLwyVdVIjc5cCKgz0h8VZ8Uw9-L0JjfSw-3iPSYl2PwagVahz2AFVBoziuQWO7bK20A7471-odENX7wllayViBrcD09dyNaaoBGiE_Pbzk4r2NLefCo_Xf6UnRcvv81eWE465rTj1JjHPLP9in9Sn8yweOMYgNpiOXdSOoZhJeQlI12A=w1119-h630-no

I've done 2000ft. from me and at that point I can't hear it or see it usually and I get too worried to go further. What kind of range is ok to stay within to keep good video feed?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Readester
What screen recorder are you using??
I'm using dashware software for telemetry.

You can download it from here dashware.com. There is extensive directions on how to use it on YouTube.

I just finished my first long run test since im installing dbs mod soon. Cold as hell but went 13000 feet before i returned cos of batteries.

Let's us know about how the DBS mod goes. It's on my radar.

I'm curious if it helps with interference from trees and buildings.

I've had just over 11K feet, and still had almost a full signal (including video)

Last edited:
7000 feet and lost signal so i hit rth button.

4 miles out 4 miles back, stock P3A stock RC. Rock solid control and video signals all the way out and back. Landed with 10% batter left. Don't ask me how I know. These are very capable aircraft.

Reactions: anotherinfidel
I've done just over 17,000' with a completely stock P3P. Could have gone further, but battery was running low..

I was topping out around 2000 feet until I realized I had the antennae oriented incorrectly. After fixing that it tops out between 2500 and 7000 depending on the direction I go. Flying over a town mostly, and some areas have strong wifi interference. To be honest, it really doesn't matter too much if you lose signal. If that happens it'll just turn around and fly itself back home, and you'll quickly regain control as it returns. It's happened a couple of times to me as I was testing the range.

please note that video connection and RC connection are different. you might lose video but still have RC connected...and in that case it won't automatically come back.
True, my app told me I lost signal so I expected it to come back quick, after 4 minutes I realized it must still have RC signal and I hit RTH and it started the sequence immediately.

I was topping out around 2000 feet until I realized I had the antennae oriented incorrectly. After fixing that it tops out between 2500 and 7000 depending on the direction I go. Flying over a town mostly, and some areas have strong wifi interference. To be honest, it really doesn't matter too much if you lose signal. If that happens it'll just turn around and fly itself back home, and you'll quickly regain control as it returns. It's happened a couple of times to me as I was testing the range.
The 1 time this happened to me I never got control back, even 10 feet away as it was finishing it's RTH. Any idea why?

location matters. Here in the city I don't like to go beyond about 3000', but up in the mountains where I have a wide open view (and basically zilch interference) I'll go over two miles with stock antennas and a pair of home made windsurfers.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl