Real Phantom; turned itself on in the case...

Reaction score
So here is another reason to remove your LiPo before putting your quad into the case or wherever you store it. I ran my battery down to the warning signal, landed it quickly, power off, blades off, and then into my carrying case. About 45 minutes later I was home and opened the case. Much to my surprise the quad was powered on, lights flashing, and it was hotter than you can imagine. The plastic was hot, but the motors and camera were even hotter. At first I thought I forgot to power it down, but I had put the gimbal lock in place and it would be really hard to miss the resistance it gives you if you try to slide it in place with power on. I haven't had a chance yet to check it out to see if there is any damage, but I'm sure I took some life off it. Anyone else ever have their quad power up on its own?

There's a number of reasons not to store batteries in your r/c aircraft when that also includes an electrical connection.

Your's is right there at the top.

Those LiPOS's can be dangerous and apparently have a mind of their own.
Somewhere here in the forum is a similar incident where in AUS the Phantom, with powered off battery caught fire.
Then there is the Inspire Video of a LiPO fire on the plane in EU where the battery was "on".

I store my batteries in a First Alert Fire Box ($20 from Wallymart) and keep them in a $10 LiPO bag... I kinda like my house......

I store my batteries in my wife's electric turkey roster pan. Have to remember to take them out before Thanksgiving!

Reactions: yorlik
I store my LiPos in a fire-proof army surplus ammo can I bought at a local gun shop for only $9. Fits 5 batteries plus the charger. Now I sleep at night.
50cal1.jpg

Ammo box sounds like a good idea. But what if one ignites, couldn't it turn the box into a bomb?

Ammo box sounds like a good idea. But what if one ignites, couldn't it turn the box into a bomb?

hopefully it will contain.... First Alert fire box rated 1 Hour at 1500F....

I took a hot P2V+ out of my backpack foam about an hour after putting it in. The aircraft body was very hot, but I don't remember feeling the motors. I was rushing and usually pull the battery. I didn't consider it might have turned on by itself. I thought I probably forgot to turn it off but now I want to blame the LiPo.

Now I always pull the battery.

Hmmmm... I don't think so. All videos of LiPOS "exploding" just show them exploding into flames, not like BOOOOM!!! The ammo box is water/air tight so I'm thinking any fire that erupted would not have much oxygen to feed it and it would quickly go out.

Lipos will flame and not a major explosion but can pop. Best to store in any strong continer. If it's an amo can it needs a couple of drilled holes to release the smoke and pressure. There are video on lipo batteries on you tube. Very interesting. Some users even charge them in a container. Any that show signs of damage or puffing are suspect. Be safe!

Reactions: snowghost
All really good battery care tips; thanks. The only problem I see with having so many together inside an ammo box is if one goes, it will probably take out your whole lot. No flying for awhile...
Hey Clipper707, how was your PV2+ after your backpack incident? It sure sounds like we had the same experience. I cut another slot in my case foam for my second battery; it travels there now, not in the quad.

Thanks for the tips. Back to not sleeping so well again.

hmmm.... as reading the header "Real Phantom; turned itself on in the case..." let me think of this...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: jingthing
Thanks for the ammo can tip, RoyVa. I also looked up some other tips on the web, so my plan is the following... I'll drill a few holes in the lid but will press fit a rubber plug into each hole. This will seal out moisture and humidity, but will allow them to pop off if pressure builds up due to a battery igniting. I am also going to adhere a plastic bag containing fine sand to the underside of the lid. If a battery ignites, the heat should melt the bag and cause the sand to drop onto the batteries and, hopefully, extinguish the fire. At least that's the theory.

I keep my 2 p2v+ batts in same 50cal ammo box along with a variety of other smaller lipos....

i charge there too.

but i NEVER lock it shut; no need for 'air holes' that way. just loosely close the lid - in fact use the clamp wire to keep it a tad open.

i feel it still provides the fire safety i want.

i do have it on a different shelf than the other ammo boxes full of ammo tho....

My phantom 2 turned on in the middle of the night. I keep it in my bedroom closet usually with the battery in. Now I will make sure to remove the battery so it doesn't wake me up again in the middle of the night. Anyone else experienced this? These batteries are finicky.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31