RC Radio Frequency

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just joined the quadcopter hobby last week.
I spent quite a while flying RC helicopters about 7-8 years ago.
My question relates to RC frequency.
Are our P3's on a certain RC frequency like RC heli's?
Is there any opportunity to have such frequencies conflict if I am flying near other P3 pilots?
Thanks for any help!

The technology in today's RC gear uses frequency hopping or spread spectrum. This is the same method used in cellphones where you can have hundreds of simultaneous users at the same time. I.E., no problem.

Hi,

By any chance do you know what is the communication protocol used between the RC and the drone itself? I'm referring to the control protocol that the RC sends to the drone to tell it where to go.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Edmund

Hi,

By any chance do you know what is the communication protocol used between the RC and the drone itself? I'm referring to the control protocol that the RC sends to the drone to tell it where to go.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Edmund

DJI calls the protocol DESST. (DJI Enhanced Spread Spectrum Technology)

It is 100% compatable with Futaba's FASST.
In fact because the P2 non-visions use 2.4GHz for control you could bind a Futaba FASST radio to the P2's DJI receiver.

There should be some technical info on FASST 'out there' if look for it. This should shed some light on your question(s).

Reactions: Falcon900
I believe the OP is asking about the P3 which doesn't use FASST or spread spectrum frequency hopping. The above answers apply to the P2 (non-vision).

The P3 uses Lightbridge which is based on a proprietary protocol. It changes channels infrequently if at all. It is a bi-directional MIMO OFDM. The video downlink requires a lot of bandwidth in the 2.4GHz ISM band. Two P3s can interfere with each other's video signal. The RC control portion of that is done at a higher priority and is much less likely to be compromised.

I believe the OP is asking about the P3 which doesn't use FASST or spread spectrum frequency hopping. The above answers apply to the P2 (non-vision).

The P3 uses Lightbridge which is based on a proprietary protocol. It changes channels infrequently if at all. It is a bi-directional MIMO OFDM. The video downlink requires a lot of bandwidth in the 2.4GHz ISM band. Two P3s can interfere with each other's video signal. The RC control portion of that is done at a higher priority and is much less likely to be compromised.

Ahh yes, LB. True that.

I lost sight of the P3 reference.

Ahh yes, LB. True that.

I also read somewhere that DJI does not reccommend more than 3 P3s operating at the same time but I cannot locate the doc. or a link.

Ahh yes, LB. True that.

I also read somewhere that DJI does not reccommend more than 3 P3s operating at the same time but I cannot locate the doc. or a link.

I would think that's because they are using ISM channels up to 20 and you can only get 3-4 channels in there before they overlap on each other.

I would think that's because they are using ISM channels up to 20 and you can only get 3-4 channels in there before they overlap on each other.

Good enough.

Just for clarification, in the P3, the Lightbridge is used for both control link between the RC & drone, and the video downlink?

I read the DJI P3 specification on their website, they specified that:
1. the remote controller uses 2.4 GHz to 2.483 GHz
2. the video link uses 2.4 GHz ISM

So the Lightbridge transmit in both the range 2.4-2.483 GHz and 2.4 GHz ISM?

Wonder if anyone tried to capture some communication between the remote controller and the P3?

Purposefully interfering with the radio communications of FCC approved devices operating in FCC regulated radio spectrum is against the law. That would include any such anti-drone device.

I`d recommend you to see this guide [Promotional link removed] .It use Spread Spectrum technology. Phantoms fly on 2.4GHz...

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic