RC issue - DJI replaces under warranty....

Reaction score
Hey doods!

Interesting issue happened over the past couple weeks. The back story....

My partner and I each own a P4P for our business. His is the Obsidian.

A few weeks ago, I had a propeller issue with my P4P. DJI replaced the drone with a new one under warranty. While we were in the throws of the warranty period, we used my business partner's Obsidian. Unfortunately, while on a mapping job, the Obsidian started to show signs of camera failure. At the beginning, the failure manifested itself as sporadic time stamp changes. During a single flight, we'd see a 2+ hour gap in the time stamp. I thought this was very strange, but I blew it off. Within an hour, we started to see missing photo files. At first the loss was nominal, but then eventually entire rows of photos would go missing. I re-flew the missions, but things just got worse. Entire missions would collect not a single photo. I could see the software TELLING the bird to snap photos, but no photos would get added to the MicroSD card. Like most of you, I assumed the card was the culprit, so we exchanged it with a new card. Unfortunately, we saw the same result. Finally, the camera gave up the ghost altogether, and no longer transmitted an image to our software or the Go 4 app. With my new bird still in the mail and my partner's Obsidian showing catastrophic camera errors, we were done for the day.

The next day my partner generated an RMA with DJI. Long story short, they granted a warranty replacement...of the RC....NOT the drone. So it seems the failure was in the RC. Very interesting! I've never seen an RC failure before. It never even occurred to me that we could've bound my partner's Obsidian with MY RC to make a complete, working set. Lesson learned!

The reason I'm posting this is to give you guys a heads up that camera failure MIGHT just be in the RC. So before assuming the drone is the problem, binding the bird to a different RC *might* solve your problem. At the very least, this can be a good troubleshooting tool.

Has anyone else seen RC failure? Seems my partner and I have dealt with two completely different failures that have not been seen by anybody else. My failure was a rogue propeller failure and his with the RC. Both failures have been validated and well-documented via warranty replacements from DJI. Very strange.

D

So RC was not controlling the camera correctly through the DJI App????

The RC wasn't controlling the camera through ANY app.

At the time, I was using Map Pilot, which has a small screen at the bottom that shows camera feed. That eventually went blank. But before that, I was given a warning that using Map Pilot without a camera cost extra, and prompted me to purchase a plugin. Argh. So I closed Map Pilot, rebooted everything, opened the Go 4 app, and NO image. Clearly, this was a hardware failure of some sort.

Worth noting: Other than the camera, the RC controlled the P4P just fine.

Reactions: KevMo Photog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4