RC Firmware Update 1.6.0 to 1.8.0 FAILED

Reaction score
My P3P was flying great. Then yesterday along comes a DJI RC firmware upgrade required notice, so I download it fine and it said it installed OK. Then I had very noisy video (breakups) from the camera even with the RC and the Aircraft close by. This started immediately after the RC upgrade.

I called DJI Friday afternoon and the tech showed me how to downgrade the RC firmware. It did not give me a choice to downgrade back to my 1.6.0, but to a lower version. The tech said go ahead. Then we hung up the phone since it will take a while. It completed OK.

Now the RC doesn't work or do anything.

Now the RC has a whiteish light blue (almost white) light, and the RC won't link to the aircraft. When I try to re-link it just fails. Also all RC updates try again but fail.

Questions:

1) Is there a way to do a reset on the RC - like most other devices such as a router would have?

2) On my tablet I can see the RC_FW_V1.6.0 firmware that I want to get back to. It is located in DJI/dji pilot/Package and also in DJI/dji pilot/Upgrade/DLPackage Is there any way I can use these files to bring my RC (TX) back to life. Remember everything was working fine until this RC "required upgrade" notice came up.

3) I will call DJI Monday, but I don't want to hear "send it all back" again! What procedure would DJI do to fix the problem if/when they get it back. Why can't I do the same procedure here at home, without the need to ship it all back?

I would appreciate any constructive suggestions that will solve my problem with this failed firmware upgrade to the RC unit.

Aircraft 1.9.60
App 3.0.0
RC was 1.6.0 Now ???

Joe
KC7GHT

It's surprising I got it installed 1.8.0 successfully. It's better to keep AC off when you are installing FW on RC. After installing FW, you need to reboot it.

I m away to Hawaii far from home but faced no issues. I carried out prelim checks and all seems to be ok though not yet flown. Also I don't know what features were changed/ modified :(

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Falcon900
Here we go again!!
You can search the forum for your answers from the last firmware upgrade 1.60. Sorry don't know anything about this update yet.

P.S. Unless you have a GOOD reason to update then it's suggested you leave as is. At least until the bugs are understood!!!!!!!!

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
My P3P was flying great. Then....
Hi Joe. I can't tell you how many times threads have started with, "It was working perfectly, then I changed [FW, App, Settings, etc] and now it doesn't work."

If it was working great for you, why did you change it? Did you know that FW updates are not required, but are your choice?

I called DJI Friday afternoon and the tech showed me how to downgrade the RC firmware. It did not give me a choice to downgrade back to my 1.6.0, but to a lower version. The tech said go ahead. Then we hung up the phone since it will take a while. It completed OK. Now the RC doesn't work or do anything.
My guess is that you've downgraded to 1.58 on the RC. The problem with that is that AC 1.8 / RC 1.6 were released at the same time with an encryption change. If you have one, you MUST have the other or later. If you went to 1.58 (old encryption) on your RC, that won't match the new encryption of the 1.96 FW you already have on your AC.

Since you have 1.96 on your AC now, you can only go as low as 1.8 (still new encryption). Your only chance is to get your RC back to 1.6 or later (new encryption) or your AC/RC will never link.

Since the DJI tech already showed you the routine downgrade process without success, another thing you can try is the RC FW download reset. It has worked for many people.

Press these four buttons on the remote controller at the same time: C1, C2, Recording and the Scroll that adjusts ISO. (See photo below).

With another finger, turn the remote controller on without letting the other four fingers go.

Once the RC is on, turn on the app (while your device is connected to the RC) and you should be able to download and install the RC firmware again. You may need to do this a couple of times (while your device is connected to the Internet) before you get the "new FW available" message.

Once complete, please let us know what it shows in the app for AC and RC firmware.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,108
Last edited:
Hi Joe. I can't tell you how many times threads have started with, "It was working perfectly, then I changed [FW, App, Settings, etc] and now it doesn't work."

If it was working great for you, why did you change it? Did you know that FW updates are not required, but are your choice?

My guess is that you've downgraded to 1.58 on the RC. The problem with that is that AC 1.8 / RC 1.6 were released at the same time with an encryption change. If you have one, you MUST have the other or later. If you went to 1.58 (old encryption) on your RC, that won't match the new encryption of the 1.96 FW you already have on your AC.

Since you have 1.96 on your AC now, you can only go as low as 1.8 (still new encryption). Your only chance is to get your RC back to 1.6 or later (new encryption) or your AC/RC will never link.

One thing you can try is the RC FW download reset. It has worked for many people.

Press these four buttons on the remote controller at the same time: C1, C2, Recording and the Scroll that adjusts ISO. (See photo below).

With another finger, turn the remote controller on without letting the other four fingers go.

Once the RC is on, turn on the app (while your device is connected to the RC) and you should be able to download and install the RC firmware again. You may need to do this a couple of times (while your device is connected to the Internet) before you get the "new FW available" message.

Once complete, please let us know what it shows in the app for AC and RC firmware.

Thank you Oso For taking your time to provide me this information. I am printing your instructions now and will try it. I will let you know if it works. I did not know (for sure) that updates were optional.
Joe
KC7GHT

One thing you can try is the RC FW download reset. It has worked for many people.

Oso, I followed your instructions, and it still fails any download. Does the same thing weather I push the four buttons or not. However I can see the 1.58 and the 1.60 bin files on my Android Galaxy tablet in the folders in my original post above. Is there anyway to utilize bin files?

The bin files are in these two folders on my tablet:
2) On my tablet I can see the RC_FW_V1.6.0 firmware that I want to get back to. It is located in DJI/dji pilot/Package and also in DJI/dji pilot/Upgrade/DLPackage Is there any way I can use these files to bring my RC (TX) back to life. Remember everything was working fine until this RC "required upgrade" notice came up.

Thanks again for any help.
Joe
KC7GHT

Oso, I followed your instructions, and it still fails any download. Does the same thing weather I push the four buttons or not. However I can see the 1.58 and the 1.60 bin files on my Android Galaxy tablet in the folders in my original post above. Is there anyway to utilize bin files?

The bin files are in these two folders on my tablet:

Thanks again for any help.
Joe
KC7GHT

Hi everyone interested. I called DJI today. The result of the call was to return the RC only - and not the AC. I could not talk to an actual hands-on technician. They trouble-shot down to where the RC case needs to be opened to get to the memory chip/processor. That's where the decision to return the RC was made. They said they will pay for the repairs and transportation.

When I consider the hourly cost of a bench technician talking on the phone, vs the cost of UPS shipping, I think DJI is making a good business decision to have it returned where they can repair it quickly with the proper knowledge and equipment in a lab environment. This is really good service.

Software is complicated.

Thanks for all the help Oso and everyone.

Joe
KC7GHT

Reactions: Oso and Falcon900
I'm flying two drones close to each other with latest RC FW.

670f30bf02291a8ff1302d3b2ee7d0a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: joeruby and Oso
Hi everyone interested. I called DJI today. The result of the call was to return the RC only - and not the AC. I could not talk to an actual hands-on technician. They trouble-shot down to where the RC case needs to be opened to get to the memory chip/processor. That's where the decision to return the RC was made. They said they will pay for the repairs and transportation.

When I consider the hourly cost of a bench technician talking on the phone, vs the cost of UPS shipping, I think DJI is making a good business decision to have it returned where they can repair it quickly with the proper knowledge and equipment in a lab environment. This is really good service.

Software is complicated.

Thanks for all the help Oso and everyone.

Joe
KC7GHT
Good luck sir. Please let us know when you get it back and what they say. Cheers!

Reactions: JoBe
Hi guys,

My DJI P3P comes back today. Two week turn around - this is very good. I hope it will fly OK now. It was working perfectly before the RC "required firmware upgrade". Remember the RC firmware update bricked my system.
They replaced the RC main board. Was this required just because of the failed RC firmware upgrade ???.
As far as I could see, there was no problem with the landing gears. I had just inspected the AC and RC before sending it back. It was covered under original warantee, and not because of the RC failed "required firmware upgrade" I may never upgrade again. I have a second P3P that is asking for the same RC firmware upgrade. Should I do it and then possibly have to send it back to DJI????? I have no information as to why the RC firmware upgrade failed. Will it happen to my second P3P system??

See:
Quote Date: 10-24-16
Remarks: Warranty. Aircraft is within warranty period.

Item Quantity Unit Price(USD) Total Price(USD)
Phantom 3 right landing gear component 1 10.00 10.00
Remote controller main board 1 148.00 148.00
Phantom 3 left landing gear V2 1 2.00 2.00
Service Charge 1 65.00/H 65.00
Freight:
Total Amount:
DJI Care deduction:
Total Payment:

I still does not work!!!!! Back from DJI!!!!! It looks like it's going in the trash bin. Help

Here is my story:

1) I have been flying my P3P with my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (Samsung's newest tablet) for almost a year. It has been working great.

2) I have been using RC firmware 1.6.0 and AC firmware 1.9.60

3) Along comes a "required RC firmware upgrade" from DJI to 1.8.0. I install this on the RC and the video starts breaking up really bad - like a weak digital TV signal. It's unusable.

4) I try to roll the RC back to 1.6.0, but it only gave me the choice to roll back to 1.5.8. DJI told me to go ahead via phone. This "bricked" the RC unit.

5) Sent it back to DJI, and they repaired it. It came back to me with RC firmware 1.8.0, same as before. I had bad video again. Same as before.

6) Today I called DJI and they told me that my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 is not on their list of approved mobile devices. Yet I have been flying with my Tab S2 for almost a year. about 210. miles of flight.

7) This all started then I upgraded the RC from 1.6.0 to 1.8.0. This has totaled my P3P system. I can't link, I can't fly, I can't upgrade, or I can't downgrade. Slightly blueish light on RC. Fails to upgrade or to downgrade or to link to AC

This is not a Galaxy problem! It's a RC 1.8.0 firmware problem. I would be very happy if I could just get back to RC 1.6.0 and never upgrade again.

At this point I can only put it all in the garbage can.

Can you please try to help me get back to RC 1.6.0

Thank You,
Joe
KC7GHT

I still does not work!!!!! Back from DJI!!!!! It looks like it's going in the trash bin. Help

Here is my story:

1) I have been flying my P3P with my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (Samsung's newest tablet) for almost a year. It has been working great.

2) I have been using RC firmware 1.6.0 and AC firmware 1.9.60

3) Along comes a "required RC firmware upgrade" from DJI to 1.8.0. I install this on the RC and the video starts breaking up really bad - like a weak digital TV signal. It's unusable.

4) I try to roll the RC back to 1.6.0, but it only gave me the choice to roll back to 1.5.8. DJI told me to go ahead via phone. This "bricked" the RC unit.

5) Sent it back to DJI, and they repaired it. It came back to me with RC firmware 1.8.0, same as before. I had bad video again. Same as before.

6) Today I called DJI and they told me that my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 is not on their list of approved mobile devices. Yet I have been flying with my Tab S2 for almost a year. about 210. miles of flight.

7) This all started then I upgraded the RC from 1.6.0 to 1.8.0. This has totaled my P3P system. I can't link, I can't fly, I can't upgrade, or I can't downgrade. Slightly blueish light on RC. Fails to upgrade or to downgrade or to link to AC

This is not a Galaxy problem! It's a RC 1.8.0 firmware problem. I would be very happy if I could just get back to RC 1.6.0 and never upgrade again.

At this point I can only put it all in the garbage can.

Can you please try to help me get back to RC 1.6.0

Thank You,
Joe
KC7GHT

Follow this video what it show you. Make sure turn RC on while doing that. heres video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have tried this procedure above many times. I ends up in a failure and stops. I am using my Galaxy Tab S2. Is there a way to load it using a .bin file via the USB port. I read somewhere on this forum there was a .bin file that would prepare the RC for a firmware change. Then you use another .bin file on a USB stick in the RC with the version you want like 1.6.0 ?

I have tried this procedure above many times. I ends up in a failure and stops. I am using my Galaxy Tab S2. Is there a way to load it using a .bin file via the USB port. I read somewhere on this forum there was a .bin file that would prepare the RC for a firmware change. Then you use another .bin file on a USB stick in the RC with the version you want like 1.6.0 ?

OK here is the solution to my problem. This was suggested to me by the service technicians at [EMAIL='[email protected]'][email protected] where I have an insurance policy on my #1 P3P. They said to try an Apple device that is recommended by DJI. Apple devices work better for a downgrade. (I want RC 1.8.0 to RC 1.6.0.) So I called one of my HAM buddies and ask him and his wife to bring her Ipad air 2 over for a test to downgrade my RC firmware. It worked perfectly where my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 failed the downgrade every time. I am now back to RC firmware 1.6.0 and my Galaxy works great again. Apparently there is a bug in the RC 1.8.0 firmware with the android Galaxy Tab S2 (Samsung newest and most powerful device, and not yet approved by DJI), that causes the video breakup I described in the first post. Also there is a bug in the GO app for the Galaxy that causes the downgrade to lock up.

I am back flying again with my Galaxy.

Because of this hassle, I plan never to upgrade RC or AC again, since my P3P does everything I want it to do using Litchi. I have over 200. miles on my #1 P3P. This summer I was flying/Jeeping in Colorado, and most of the flights were between 12,000 and 13,300 feet ASL - always below 400 feet AGL. I am a happy camper, but it took a long time to solve - thus this post may help others.
[/EMAIL]

Reactions: Mrksbrd
I think your RC firmware upgrade did not complete. Whenever I encounter this, and I have on several upgrades, the solution has been to go to the Go app main screen, select the aircraft icon on the upper left. If you are not logged into your account, log in, and the update will finish.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Hi Multicoptertec,

Here is the first paragraph in my original post - way at the top of this thread.

"My P3P was flying great. Then yesterday along comes a DJI RC firmware upgrade required notice, so I download it fine and it said it installed OK. Then I had very noisy video (breakups) from the camera even with the RC and the Aircraft close by. This started immediately after the RC upgrade."

Just the first paragraph above. Go to the top of this thread for the original post.
Cheers,
Joe
KC7GHT

Hi Multicoptertec,

Here is the first paragraph in my original post - way at the top of this thread.

"My P3P was flying great. Then yesterday along comes a DJI RC firmware upgrade required notice, so I download it fine and it said it installed OK. Then I had very noisy video (breakups) from the camera even with the RC and the Aircraft close by. This started immediately after the RC upgrade."

Just the first paragraph above. Go to the top of this thread for the original post.
Cheers,
Joe
KC7GHT

I read the whole thread Joe, and even though the upgrade may have seemed complete, it may not be, and this is a possible fix. As I mentioned, I have seen this several times. Worth a try, no?

Thanks,
Chuck
KI6TG

I read the whole thread Joe, and even though the upgrade may have seemed complete, it may not be, and this is a possible fix. As I mentioned, I have seen this several times. Worth a try, no?

Thanks,
Chuck
KI6TG

Yes Chuck, it will be worth a try if/when I upgrade again. When you had success with your technique, what mobile device were you using?
Also before you did your proceedure, was the upgrade able to fly the Aircraft. Mine was able to fly normally, but the video was unusable on both dji go and Litchi using my Galaxy Tab S2.
Thanks for the info.
Joe
KC7GHT

Yes Chuck, it will be worth a try if/when I upgrade again. When you had success with your technique, what mobile device were you using?
Also before you did your proceedure, was the upgrade able to fly the Aircraft. Mine was able to fly normally, but the video was unusable on both dji go and Litchi using my Galaxy Tab S2.
Thanks for the info.
Joe
KC7GHT

I personally use an iPad Air 2. The failed RC upgrade causes all kinds of random errors, no signal, weak signal, etc. I can usually start the motors, and launch. In ALL cases where the RC upgrade is in question, using a device that is logged on to a DJI account solves the issue, that is, either completes or finalizes the upgrade.

www.multicoptertec.com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.