Range restriction on 3rd party battery

Reaction score
I bought two 3rd party batteries recently. They last the same amount of time as the OEM, but I recently noticed that one of the two batteries, every time I launch, I am limits to a 50 meter range (altitude and distance). Before I marked the problem battery, I thought it might be some operator error because I didn't always recalibrate between flights in the same session. It seemed an odd anomaly and left me postulating any variety of issues. I didn't think the batteries had any particular intelligence that would result in flight restrictions. The other 3rd party battery in the 2-for bundle works fine.

The moral to the thread is that perhaps (as I have proved to myself many times) 3rd party batteries are never a good idea. You never know what might happen. But, it's still odd...

It's not the battery, it's coincidence.
The restriction is part of the newer firmware, if you log in to the DJI go app the restriction should be lifted. I say should be, on occasion it reappears but restarting normally clears it.

I haven't had the restrictions reoccur since updating Go to 4.1.9 on iOS, but I've only done a few flights on it

Thanks Paul for the reply. I'll try that. I assumed I was logged in automatically when I connected the Phantom and controller. It was a head-scratcher. We'll see. Odd that it only happens with one of my 3 batteries.

I see from your profile pic you pilot more than drones. Cool ultralight in the background. I used to fly hang gliders, but driving long distances to sit on a cold mountaintop wasn't so much fun for the pilot widow. An ultralight would have been the solution!

Dave

I had no idea what a flyboard was before looking it up just now. It looks a bit hard to control!

The P3 4k is providing some of the thrill I used to get with the hang glider, without a 2 hr. drive, freezing my a$$ off a mile up and getting bounced around until I want to puke. Ah, the good old days. I needed an ultralight all along.

Here's a link. I haven't had an opportunity to try the DJI app login technique described by PaulSouthport yet because I live in a NoFly zone near Washington, DC and have to drive upriver a ways. This seller has sold 550 of these batteries so I felt reasonably assured. There may be worse risks associated with 3rd party batteries than limited flight range, i.e. flyaway. Perhaps that's possible with OEM as well...

For DJI Phantom 3 Professional Advanced Standard Intelligent LiPo Battery 15.2V | eBay

It's not the battery, it's coincidence.
The restriction is part of the newer firmware, if you log in to the DJI go app the restriction should be lifted. I say should be, on occasion it reappears but restarting normally clears it.

I haven't had the restrictions reoccur since updating Go to 4.1.9 on iOS, but I've only done a few flights on it
So, I'm not sure I get how this is going to fix the problem. When I open the app to connect the P3 to the controller, I'm already logged in. My app is current and my firmware is updated.

So, I'm not sure I get how this is going to fix the problem. When I open the app to connect the P3 to the controller, I'm already logged in. My app is current and my firmware is updated.
Actually, what I can do is to use the Vertical Studio app instead of DJI GO and see whether I have the same issue with that battery.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll do that.

Clearly, my bug repellant isn't effective.

For perhaps the first time in my life, the 'quick fix' worked. I simply logged out and logged back into the DJI Go app. No need to be connected in any way to the drone when logging out/in. Much thanks to PaulSouthport for his reply. I could have been postulating on that one for months.

I spoke too soon. I got the flight restriction issue again today. Was running late and had to kayak back to shore so I didn't have time to land, log out/login.

just for fun I bought one of the batteries in link above. It arrived very fast and even came with a LiPo bag. I charged it last night and will test it this weekend.

These 3rd party batteries seem to last just as long. The typical problems are things like loss of life over time, or they just stop working altogether. This range restriction issue with the battery I don't get. It's one of those unknown things you can potentially run into with 3rd party components. If I have to log out and login between flights, it will be an annoyance, but on the other hand, I saved money, so... Pay your money, take your chances!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues