RANGE? Immersion 600mw tx, with Spironets

mustang_52 said:
I had gotten the transmitter and iosd before I got the monitor and I wanted to test it out before I got the monitor hooked up. I plan on going by the battery level on the monitor but what I'm experiencing is a battery warning then it lands itself. The battery shows 1 full light and one blinking. I did get an early warning and had time to land before the second warning before I had put the fpv stuff on.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
OK, got it. So, what was your flight time?
One of the things I do to time my flights is wait a bit for the Phantom to warm up(usually take 2 minutes), then have the OSD on the GP3/3+ turned on. I start recording-and when I get to 1:00, I lift off. I always look at the timer on the top of the screen, and just subtract 1:00 from the total time.
I also have a futaba remote-when I activate the throttle, that also triggers a timer......but, with the P2, it's important for you to correlate percentage renaming, with flight time. This will probably take you dozens of flights-because each one is different.

Easiest way is to pick a percentage(20%, or more), where you have a "plan of action". That plan usually is; at that point the aircraft will be in front of me. You can then chose to land, or hover around a bit more.

Also-once you get your monitor, don't rush out and start trying to break distance "records".....take it 100 meters at a time. IF/when you lose video signal, just trigger "Fail Safe", and make sure it's configured in Naza to return home and land. Now is the time to test Fail Safe-it's fun. Mine brings the aircraft literally directly over my head-even though it took off six feet away from where I'm sitting. I never let the aircraft land itself. I just don't trust that it will be soft enough, with all the stuff I have on it.

havasuphoto said:
mustang_52 said:
I had gotten the transmitter and iosd before I got the monitor and I wanted to test it out before I got the monitor hooked up. I plan on going by the battery level on the monitor but what I'm experiencing is a battery warning then it lands itself. The battery shows 1 full light and one blinking. I did get an early warning and had time to land before the second warning before I had put the fpv stuff on.

One of the things I do to time my flights is wait a bit for the Phantom to warm up(usually take 2 minutes), then have the OSD on the GP3/3+ turned on. I start recording-and when I get to 1:00, I lift off. I always look at the timer on the top of the screen, and just subtract 1:00 from the total time.
I also have a futaba remote-when I activate the throttle, that also triggers a timer......but, with the P2, it's important for you to correlate percentage renaming, with flight time. This will probably take you dozens of flights-because each one is different.

Easiest way is to pick a percentage(20%, or more), where you have a "plan of action". That plan usually is; at that point the aircraft will be in front of me. You can then chose to land, or hover around a bit more.

Also-once you get your monitor, don't rush out and start trying to break distance "records".....take it 100 meters at a time. IF/when you lose video signal, just trigger "Fail Safe", and make sure it's configured in Naza to return home and land. Now is the time to test Fail Safe-it's fun. Mine brings the aircraft literally directly over my head-even though it took off six feet away from where I'm sitting. I never let the aircraft land itself. I just don't trust that it will be soft enough, with all the stuff I have on it.

I'd only be guessing on my flight time but it was. Somewhere around 15 minutes. I was flying right in front of me. I kept bringing it back to see the leds. I then noticed a flash of red for about 10 seconds then went to rapid flash of red and down it went. I don plan on taking baby steps with the fpv but I wanna get this straightened out first so I know there is no issues. It's almost like I'm only getting one warning and then down it goes. I knowni didn't have this before the fpv stuff.

havasuphoto said:
mustang_52 said:

I'd only be guessing on my flight time but it was. Somewhere around 15 minutes. I was flying right in front of me. I kept bringing it back to see the leds. I then noticed a flash of red for about 10 seconds then went to rapid flash of red and down it went. I don plan on taking baby steps with the fpv but I wanna get this straightened out first so I know there is no issues. It's almost like I'm only getting one warning and then down it goes. I knowni didn't have this before the fpv stuff.

What were your flight times before FPV? It does use electricity...also, you've added some more weight. I think most with the Gimbal+Go Pro+iOSD+FPV are only getting around 15? minutes.
I'd charge it back up and repeat what you just did and time it. Just to make sure it was a single occurrence. Also-did you change the voltage settings in Naza for 1st and 2nd level warnings??(don't).

Normally, between 1st level and 2nd level, should be around 30 seconds to a minute-but it's highly dependent on how much power you're using, and the total weight of the aircraft.
IF, you continue to get virtually no warning between 1st and 2nd level, I would suspect possibly a bad cell in the battery? Do you have a battery checker that will read the voltage of the cells?

As for the question; when my Phantom hits 1st level warning, will it return home, and if so, from how far?? That question was asked last year-and has yet to be answered. I believe if the Phantom is within 30 feet of home-it assumes it's close enough, so when the 2nd level turns on, it just lands.
I'd kinda like to know the answer to the above questions...but, we're kinda already off topic ;)

mustang_52 said:

15 is just a tad low but you are in the right range. Even that can vary depending on weather/environment/flying skill. On the 550 I got 7 minutes and 30 seconds in sub zero weather and 9 minutes and 15 seconds at 40 F (which is close to what others get with my setup). You will likely get better time in ATTI mode since GPS is always jacking with the motors.

Check your two warning levels with the assistant. You might have changed one of them. If it seems like you really do have power left, then move the level. My 550 had to be changed from the recommended a little. Not a big deal.

FPV will require a little tuning if you are like everyone else. I've had terrible experiences with some setups and locations and superb ones with others. Again, not a big deal - just have to work through it.

I'm sorry, I'm kinda high jacking a very good thread. I'm just New to all of this so I'm taking in as much info and being responsible. I'll time it next time and see what happens. I did not change any settings for the battery. I have a volt ohm meter I could use I suppose.

NO MORE LONG DISTANCE FLIGHT WITH NEW FIRMWARE. MAX. DISTANCE is 2000 M :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :eek: :eek: :eek: :( :( :( :( :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You have got to be kidding :evil:

I wont be updating for a while then..............

Fanti said:
NO MORE LONG DISTANCE FLIGHT WITH NEW FIRMWARE. MAX. DISTANCE is 2000 M :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :eek: :eek: :eek: :( :( :( :( :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
And you came to that conclusion, how?
There are "range limits" you can set, in Naza; by default, they're set at 2000M. But, read what is written in the box on the left. The aircraft will still continue to fly outside those parameters. Also, you can just go in and set those numbers to whatever you want, like 10,000 M. Doesn't really do a whole lot.

Little test with the BP and the Boscam RX-LCD5802, vTX has the Boscam TS58200 200mw on CH8.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO0RClicTeU[/youtube]

No question; the Boscam kicks it to the curb. The RX I have is a Boscam too!!

Question; How are you guys mounting your iOSD Mini, and your video transmitters on your Phantom 2's??? Pictures?

havasuphoto said:

Question; How are you guys mounting your iOSD Mini, and your video transmitters on your Phantom 2's??? Pictures?

I like to tinker and I mounted mine on the belly behind the gimbal - used Velcro so I could swap out things when I wanted. Antenna is pointed out the back (or down if I use an elbow).

havasuphoto said:

I like a clean look on the outside so I moved it inside the shell.

20arp1g.jpg

How do you update the firmware for your iOSD mini when it's inside?
Going to be calling in my order now(P2+H3-3D).....
I don't tinker-so I have to pay them to do all the install. I'm also mulling over the Bluetooth module, that allows you to program a flight route, and have it complete that autonomously.
Thanks
EDIT: Ordered my P2+H3-3D Today, from Dronefly. Also got the iOSD mini. Still looking for a video TX. Seems the one I have, the Boscam TS832, 32 channel 5.8ghz, is out of stock-everywhere.
So, I'm going to test one of the "Airwave" frequencies Tomorrow-5740M. I was using 5705M, and getting great range/reception. But, I see everyone else is using 5740M, so I'll give it a try. Already tested indoors and both TX/RX work fine on that frequency.

To my issue earlier in the thread..

A recap.

IRC600mW Tx, IOSd (installed in inside like above), and Black Pearl monitor.

Purchased IBCrazy Ultra Blue Beam antenna to try and improve on performance of stock antenna.

Was getting about 400m with stock, but down to 300m with the better antenna.

Verified install. Tried all the channels on the BP receiver (only 7 on mine).

Concluded it was the antenna. Returned them to the eBay seller (http://www.ebay.com/usr/fpvrc-store?_tr ... 7675.l2559, who I can highly recommend in spite of this). Got new pair. Same results. So. It wasn't the original pair.

The IBCrazy guy (also very responsive to my emails) says noise floor, but I don't think so, since I fly in a very remote area and all channels were the same.

Any other ideas before we chalk it up to these antenna not working with this combo and I just go back to stock and be happy with 400m of FPV?

Someone above mentions aiming their Tx antenna out the right side of the drone (others say don't do it). Should I try this?

Secondly, curiously, when I look at the two little blue LEDs on the monitor telling me which of the two antenna is being used, either the new one of the stock one, the light is more commonly on for the stock one, not the blue one.

Thanks.

havasuphoto said:
How do you update the firmware for your iOSD mini when it's inside?

Pop the top and plug it in. I did all the work myself so for me it's not very difficult. For those who had someone else install everything I can see how it could be intimidating.

Sounds like the Rx is in diversity mode and selecting the weaker antenna. Did you try manually selecting the correct antenna?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT