Random ATTI mode 2 times in one flight

Reaction score
I was flying yesterday and the P3A went to ATTI mode unexpectedly for about 5 - 10 seconds. Then it reestablished P mode. It happened twice the same way. I have flown this bird maybe 10 times and I bought it new. Prior to starting the flight I did compass calibration. I had full battery and full satellite positioning. I was about 2000 feet downrange. It happened at about the 10 second mark. The K-index was OK yesterday. Minimal wind (5 mph). What do I need to do to troubleshoot this?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Webby
I only calibrate it when I go more than 50 miles from the last calibration location. Is that the standard?

I was in a park, no buildings nearby. The closest car was probably 50 feet away. The only metal object that can recall that was anywhere near me was a metal railing, which was 6 feet away. Is that a potential problem?

I will do a better job in the future searching the posts before creating a new one.

I was flying yesterday and the P3A went to ATTI mode unexpectedly for about 5 - 10 seconds. Then it reestablished P mode. It happened twice the same way. I have flown this bird maybe 10 times and I bought it new. Prior to starting the flight I did compass calibration. I had full battery and full satellite positioning. I was about 2000 feet downrange. It happened at about the 10 second mark. The K-index was OK yesterday. Minimal wind (5 mph). What do I need to do to troubleshoot this?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
We have seen a sudden spike in reports of P3s rapidly switching between ATTI and GPS modes often combined with an increase in reported compass errors. If you don't mind, would you please let us know exactly which versions of FW you have on your AC and your RC as well as which version of the app? Please just don't say "latest" since that leads to guessing. Since compass issues are so serious, we'd like to be able to find something common in all of these sudden reports. Thanks.

Last edited:
App 3.0.2
AC 1.9.60
RC 1.8.0

I did another compass calibration "by the book". Upon launching and getting up to about 75 feet, ATTI mode again for about 5 - 10 seconds, then it reestablished P mode and I continued flying.

App 3.0.2
AC 1.9.60
RC 1.8.0

I did another compass calibration "by the book". Upon launching and getting up to about 75 feet, ATTI mode again for about 5 - 10 seconds, then it reestablished P mode and I continued flying.
Weird...
Can you see if it does it if you just T/O and leave it in hover 10 feet up?
Also try taking off in ATTI mode and then switching to P. If it doesn't switch to ATTI , try T/O again in P and see what happens. I had a similar issue a while back and this was what I did. Never had a problem since...

I will start doing that.

At this point, considering I have done the compass calibration "by the book", I wonder if I should trust this bird? Random ATTI mode is disconcerting and not something I think I should live with.

I will start doing that.

At this point, considering I have done the compass calibration "by the book", I wonder if I should trust this bird? Random ATTI mode is disconcerting and not something I think I should live with.
Just try my suggestion and see if it works.

OK, I hovered with no problem. Then I flew for about 15 minutes uneventfully. I switched to ATTI mode, flew for a couple of minutes, then back and P mode with no problems, nothing unusual. I will continue to monitor the issue.

OK, I hovered with no problem. Then I flew for about 15 minutes uneventfully. I switched to ATTI mode, flew for a couple of minutes, then back and P mode with no problems, nothing unusual. I will continue to monitor the issue.
OK, so you took off in ATTI? If not, please do this too and keep it flying locally (for your own piece of mind!) for a few minutes and then switch to P and it should now remain in P mode. Then for a final time just T/O manually in P; hopefully, you'll have it fixed.

Thanks. I will take off in atti mode and follow the instructions. Sorry I did not do that already. I know it is frustrating taking the time to provide instructions and I did not follow them. I will do better in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thanks. I will take off in atti mode and follow the instructions. Sorry I did not do that already. I know it is frustrating taking the time to provide instructions and I did not follow them. I will do better in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
LOL! No frustration. I just want to make sure it you do everything to try and fix your issue, mate!

I successfully took off in ATTI mode, flew for about 5 minutes, then switched to P mode. I have since flown the bird about 6 times. For the most part the flights maintained P mode, although today the P3A reverted to ATTI mode randomly for a couple of seconds each time, then reverted back to P mode. So still have no explanation for this behavior. I did switch to ATTI mode while in flight and back to P mode successfully several times.

One good thing that has come from this experience is that I am not longer intimidated by ATTI mode.

Does DJI allow dealers such as Carolina Dronz do diagnostics under warranty? Or does that have to go directly to DJI?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic