Radio Tower - Reccomended Distance

Reaction score
Wasn't quite sure if I should have posted this in help or disscusion, but I was thinking it was more disscusion...

Basically, there's a great spot where I would LOVE to fly my P2V+, it's basically a beautiful bluff above Lake Superior, and I'd like to stand on it and take a picture of myself... However, the catch is, there's a radio tower right there... I'm not sure if it's radio, cell, or TV... Basically just wondering what the reccomended distance to stay away from it is... I could maybe do 300' away... Let me know, thanks...

Wasn't quite sure if I should have posted this in help or disscusion, but I was thinking it was more disscusion...

Basically, there's a great spot where I would LOVE to fly my P2V+, it's basically a beautiful bluff above Lake Superior, and I'd like to stand on it and take a picture of myself... However, the catch is, there's a radio tower right there... I'm not sure if it's radio, cell, or TV... Basically just wondering what the reccomended distance to stay away from it is... I could maybe do 300' away... Let me know, thanks...

I'm not sure but I would contact DJI and ask them. Also go to the tower and read whatever signage they have and see if you can determine what exactly it is being used for. Then you can do research on the frequencies. I wouldn't trust being within 500' of it until I knew more about it but it's your bird and it all depends on if you want to chance interference or, forbid, a fly away.

Until you bump into it.
Generally most radio towers, especially communications, broadcast radio or TV will have no effect on the Phantom until you bump into it or a guy wire. There are some terrestrial telephone repeater towers that operate in the microwave C-band which includes the 5.4-5.8 GHz band for IEEE 802.11a Wi-Fi. These are the ones with the antennas that look like big bass drums or strange horns and they could cause you a problem if you fly through the beam.

Microwave%20Antenna.jpg

Cell Phone towers are also no problem as they operate at much lower frequencies between 698 to 2690 MHz (in the US). 4G operates between 2,496–2,690 MHz while our 2.4GHz (non-vision) controllers operate in the 2.4GHz ISM band between 2,400- 2,500 MHz, so there is a small bit of overlap. Since our controllers use Spread Spectrum technology (I suspect the Phantom uses DMSX protocol), this small overlap should not be a problem. I wouldn't hesitate to fly within 50 ft of one.

Cell_phone_tower_disguised_2008_640.jpg

Actually the Phantoms' use DJI's DESST protocol which is the same as Futaba's FASST.

Because of this it is easy for P2NV owners to upgrade their Tx by simply binding their Futaba FASST radio to the P2's Rx.

Pretty cool image.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers