Radio Range

Reaction score
Yes, I searched but range is too common of a word.
I've flown mine straight up till it was pretty tiny in the sky, but the phantom is pretty small, and white.
Has anybody flown to the range limit of the radio?
Is the range farther than you can visibly see the phantom?

if you are flying with the stock transmitter, the stated range is about 900 feet. yes it is rather small and difficult to spot if it is 900 feet straight up.

auck said:
if you are flying with the stock transmitter, the stated range is about 900 feet. yes it is rather small and difficult to spot if it is 900 feet straight up.

If I buy the Futaba, would it need modifications or have a longer range out of the box?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I'm a newb. The Phantom is my 5th Aircraft and my absolute fave hands down.

Yes with a different radio I would suspect that you will get a much better range. Don't forget that the range by line of sight is much more than ground level with the signal trying to go through a bunch of objects. You will be able to fly it way out of sight. I just installed a Aurora 9 in mine and it took a whole 30 minutes with no changes to the Naza program. The only thing you will need with a standard receiver is 6 servo extensions that have double male ends 3" long available on E-Bay.

well first of all, you might want to refrain from flying (and telling people) above the legal 400ft ceiling that's law in many countries.

900ft is the given range of the stock transmitter, but others have gone much further.
you don't really want to go that far tho unless you're flying FPV.

a different transmitter will go farther
and I've read that using a 6v lipo will have more power than AA's in the Futaba (there is a setting).

at that range, if you're interested in FPV, you'd want a fancier FPV Tx, and spironet antenna's.

Gizmo3000 said:
well first of all, you might want to refrain from flying (and telling people) above the legal 400ft ceiling that's law in many countries.

900ft is the given range of the stock transmitter, but others have gone much further.
you don't really want to go that far tho unless you're flying FPV.

a different transmitter will go farther
and I've read that using a 6v lipo will have more power than AA's in the Futaba (there is a setting).

at that range, if you're interested in FPV, you'd want a fancier FPV Tx, and spironet antenna's.

I just got my Phantom a few days ago and am looking at goggles now. I don't want to fly higher than 400 feet, I want to fly farther than 900 feet away. (I'm at 3000 feet to begin with so the clouds aren't that far away) Also, I'd like to have more channels. Thanks guys.

So far I have been pushing the stock radio range and am yet to go out of range. This video is the furthest I have been measured at 580m (1900ft) away from where I was via google earth and altitude Id only be guessing but around 50-70m (160-230ft) So all up that would be around the 650m or 2130ft from where I was. Flying line of sight and I had visual at all times but there are a few pretty big trees on the courses fence line, I may have been quite a bit higher then I think but I find it very hard to guess altitude and this was shot in 720p120 narrow mode.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf_AeQ07fPE[/youtube]

Pretty windy here and I put up a comparison with and without adobe warp stabilizer as it did surprisingly well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers