Quiet Down that Noisey Drone

Reaction score
I am an old catamaran sailor the the props on my V2+ remind me of the dagger boards and rudders on a high performance cat. We used to spend a lot of time sanding the leading and trailing edges of the blades to assure the least amount of drag and make the boat faster - it works on drones too.

Use 400 or 600 grit wet sand paper to round and blunt the leading edges of the props. Take out any seams or rough edges - make them smooth, round and blunt. Use the same to sharpen the trailing edges of the props. If you really want a quiet bird, sand off the DJI logos too. You cannot even hear my drone unless you are within 50' if it is hovering.

You can probably use your wifes clear nail polish to fix scratches and then lightly sand.

Shhhh its quieter now.

Paul

Very good information to share. :) We might be able to survive as a hobby with help like this.

What about the balance of the props?
Wouldn't you loose it?

I cheated with my p2v1...I use my old 8" props from P1.1.1 I had.

When flying around house or later in evening so not to bother neighbors I put them on.

It flies fine and is far quieter!

Reactions: IflyinWY
I am an old catamaran sailor the the props on my V2+ remind me of the dagger boards and rudders on a high performance cat. We used to spend a lot of time sanding the leading and trailing edges of the blades to assure the least amount of drag and make the boat faster - it works on drones too.

Use 400 or 600 grit wet sand paper to round and blunt the leading edges of the props. Take out any seams or rough edges - make them smooth, round and blunt. Use the same to sharpen the trailing edges of the props. If you really want a quiet bird, sand off the DJI logos too. You cannot even hear my drone unless you are within 50' if it is hovering.

You can probably use your wifes clear nail polish to fix scratches and then lightly sand.

Shhhh its quieter now.

Paul

Could you post a picture of the final product?

Reactions: Ron Davis

Shhhh its quieter now.

Paul
Is anyone out here really tried this on P3 or P4?

P4 blades mount differently are they still balanceable?

Sent from my SM-G935V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Is anyone out here really tried this on P3 or P4?

I'll just mention that I tried this with my P2v+ and did not notice any difference. I did not change the leading edge of the prop. It did not change the noise level at all. I also pretty much call BS on not being able to hear any Phantom from 50' away.

Reactions: crash1sttime
Perhaps the OP could post a video of his supposed stealth quad.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31