Quick question: POI Intelligent Flight Mode

Reaction score
Hello, I'm fairly new to drones but a veteran in filming. I'm planning out some shots for a trip coming up and I had a thought.

I want to use the POI flight mode at the edge of a cliff that my subject is standing on. If I take off from the top of a cliff and my drone only thinks it's 40 feet in the air above my subject, when it finally makes it around to the cliff part where it's 500 feet above the ground will it know not to descend?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the internet. This in its self leads me to believe that... no, it will not. Figured I'd check.

Best,
j1n

Hello, I'm fairly new to drones but a veteran in filming. I'm planning out some shots for a trip coming up and I had a thought.

I want to use the POI flight mode at the edge of a cliff that my subject is standing on. If I take off from the top of a cliff and my drone only thinks it's 40 feet in the air above my subject, when it finally makes it around to the cliff part where it's 500 feet above the ground will it know not to descend?

Altitude if always and only based on the take off point. That is 0. Does not matter if you fly over a cliff or up a hill.

Altitude if always and only based on the take off point. That is 0. Does not matter if you fly over a cliff or up a hill.

You know, now that you said that. It just reminded me that GPS is calculating the height of the aircraft, not the VPS (on the bottom of the craft). So if I take off from 300 ft above sea level, and then start POI 50 feet above that, it will use 300 ft above sea level as 0 altitude and keep the 50 foot height?

If it takes off beside you and rises to 50 ft up, then you fly it away from you out over the 500 ft cliff drop off, it will say it is only 50 feet up.

You know, now that you said that. It just reminded me that GPS is calculating the height of the aircraft, not the VPS (on the bottom of the craft). So if I take off from 300 ft above sea level, and then start POI 50 feet above that, it will use 300 ft above sea level as 0 altitude and keep the 50 foot height?

Altitude is measured using the barometer, not GPS. Ignore seal level and everything else. Altitude is measured from the launch point. That is 0. Everything and anything other then that does not matter.

This raises a good question.
Take off at the edge of a cliff, and fly out 10 meters past the edge.
As we know, RTH will land on the spot (instead of flying horizontally to the home point when within (20, I think) meters of the home point.
This means the Phantom will descend looking for the ground.
Will it just keep dropping until it lands down below?

If it finds "China" , will it need a RMA?

Reactions: Solly747400

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik