Question re: Changing S1 & S2 Switch Functions...

Reaction score
I know this has likely been asked here before, but the forum's search feature will not allow you to search for keywords that are too short. (For example, you can't search the forums for "NAZA," "S1" or "GPS") So, I'll ask it here with apologies in advance if it's already been asked and answered.

I've been flying in the default Vision mode so far. Everything works perfectly. I've tested RTH (by turning OFF the transmitter) and it worked perfectly as well. I would like to be able to change the functions of the S1 switch to be GPS, ATTI and Failsafe in that order from top to bottom respectively, and activate IOC with the S2 switch. (Whether I'd ever use IOC I don't know. It would just be nice to have the option.)

My understanding is that the only way these two changes can be made is by using the Assistant software to switch to NAZA mode, and then change the settings of the S1 and S2 switches (and enabling IOC, of course). My understanding is that the S1 switch would then have a new function ("failsafe" in it's bottom position) and that the S2 switch would then have the ability to control the Home and Course Lock versions of IOC.

However, if I make these two change only, and no other changes, will the P2V still behave exactly as if it were still in the default Vision mode whenever both the S1 and S2 switches are in the uppermost positions? Or will it become a whole different craft in terms of flight controls?

I believe I read somewhere that the LED indicator light patterns on the craft (not the battery) will be different if set to NAZA mode. I can live with learning a new lighting pattern (if I can find a list of what they would be). If I'm better off just leaving the craft in Vision mode, and use the "turn off the transmitter" method to invoke the failsafe, return to home feature, I'll not change to NAZA mode.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Your right; if the switches are in the upper position you will not know any different. Just make sure when you turn on the controller that all switches are up, then turn on the Phantom.

I've had Nazam active for a few weeks now and I seldom use the IOC but being able to activate RTH without turning off the controller has been very handy when I've lost sight of the PV for whatever reason.

Morgan is spot on - both switches up and you won't notice any flight difference except the LEDs on the rear motor arms will give different indications then you are used to, including when doing compass calibrations. If you go to the DJI website and search their wiki for NAZA LED signals you'll find a quick reference chart.

I didn't think I'd use IOC much either, but I have found myself flicking the switch down to home lock more than once when I lost video/telemetry from the Vision whilst I was further away than I could see. It means you can pull down on the right stick and the aircraft will move towards you irrespective of which direction you are actually pointing. Once I can see the orientation I switch it off again - but I do like it as a feature for that very eventuality.

Pull_Up said:
I didn't think I'd use IOC much either, but I have found myself flicking the switch down to home lock more than once when I lost video/telemetry from the Vision whilst I was further away than I could see. It means you can pull down on the right stick and the aircraft will move towards you irrespective of which direction you are actually pointing. Once I can see the orientation I switch it off again - but I do like it as a feature for that very eventuality.

Huh', I will have to try that method of relocating the PV too. It would mean you have instant maneuverability on its return rather than it doing its own thing. I have had a close call with a seagull which would result in a crash for sure so being able to pull up or swerve would be handy - cheers.

I have used IOC a lot on my Phantom Classic and have it enabled on my Vision.
Very occasionally on both craft I have found it does not always work. Thus one of the checks I always carry out if planning to fly long distance or high altitude on either craft is to climb ahead beyond I believe the 10m point switch in IOC ,input left command and check for left flightpath. I then yaw through 180 degrees ie nose in and apply left command and check for left flightpath relative to me ie IOC working. I also do a right check and fwd aft check all while I have good visual contact. Once satisfied all is well I am happy to fly the Phantom as a dot. I would recommend this check as it would be prudent to know it works before you loose visual orientation and then need to rely on IOC backstick to get you home.
The other observation I have made with lots of Classic time pushing the envelope is that even though I have completed the above check if RTH is activated sometimes and i say again sometimes IOC ceases to work once you regain control of the craft so I always let RTH do most of the work so I can get good visual orientation before I take control .
I do find that I don't use IOC as much on the Vision as I do on the classic as I am often orientating via FPV and or the Radar plot.
I do however still do the check just incase the wifi link goes down and she s a dot in the sky.
Just my two cents worth
Happy New Year to all

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94