question about the fc40 camera

Reaction score
I know the fc40's camera doesn't have sound so it can't be a mic (unless I'm missing something), but just out of curiosity, what on earth are those four little holes that are next to the lens for?

No sound on our version.

I think this camera is also sold under other brands and possibly could have sound enabled.

Interesting, I think I'll bring it to school tomorrow and let the electronics class look into it. If it was sold with a mic under a different name surely it at least has a way to install a small mic in it somehow. I'll try to update if I figure something out.

There was a thread here about this about a month or so back.

It quite possible its disabled in the firmware.

Well, if anybody's watching this thread, I completely forgot that we're out for break for the next two weeks so it might be a while before I can try to figure this thing out. However, if there's a way it can be done, between the green tec and cit classes, I'm sure someone will finally find out if it's possible or not.

As I said.

Go back about a month or so on this and find another topic titled fc40 camera.

It has lots of info and internal pictures etc.

Ive been in side mine and there is no mic any were in it. Tho if some one wants sound in there flight vids I'm sure it would not be to hard to just edit in a sound file of some motors running cause thats all you would hear if it did have a mic in it any way. :)

I'm actually GLAD it doesn't have sound!

Especially when trying to see those dog gone led's that are so dim and listening to me cuss! Otherwise, I'm glad because this way I can insert my own soundtrack! (Without all the CUSSING~!) :lol:

'm actually GLAD it doesn't have sound!

Especially when trying to see those dog gone led's that are so dim and listening to me cuss! Otherwise, I'm glad because this way I can insert my own soundtrack! (Without all the CUSSING~!) :lol:

lol ya same here. Tho I wish it could delay the start by a few seconds after pushing the button on the bottom to start the recording.

All my videos seem to start out a close up of one eye giving it the stink eye look while trying to see if the tiny led is blinking or not.

It is to equalize the air pressure depending how high you fly

Thats what i thought at first to. But its not at all even near air tight any way with the USB and the SD slot as well as the pin hole on the bottom. The pin hole tho may be an air hole But I'm pretty sure the 4 holes next to the lens was or is were a mic was supposed to maybe be designed to go or does go on the other cams the manufacture that makes them for dji may have as other options for there cameras. Tho there was talk before the FC40s came out that it was going to have sound. But DJI may may decided against it to keep cost down or so it dont use needed computing resources to also record sound.

J.James said:
All my videos seem to start out a close up of one eye giving it the stink eye look while trying to see if the tiny led is blinking or not.

HAHAH! Same here till I started using my Android phone with the FC40 app to turn my record button on. I was also VERY surprised at how utterly AWFUL the zoom is on that camera. Everything was blurred to the point of not even watching it anymore. Cleaned the lens thinking it might be smudged but still got really blurred video. Very disappointing.

J.James said:
But I'm pretty sure the 4 holes next to the lens was or is were a mic was supposed to maybe be designed to go or does go on the other cams the manufacture that makes them for dji may have as other options for there cameras. Tho there was talk before the FC40s came out that it was going to have sound. But DJI may may decided against it to keep cost down or so it dont use needed computing resources to also record sound.

According to the docs for the FC40 cam it was supposed to have a speaker there to provide a beep when it was activated. I've never heard anything though...

According to the docs for the FC40 cam it was supposed to have a speaker there to provide a beep when it was activated. I've never heard anything though...

I had always heard they initially planed putting a microphone in it. But an activation beep or beep beep would of been a good feature to of had.

J.James said:
It is to equalize the air pressure depending how high you fly

Thats what i thought at first to. But its not at all even near air tight any way with the USB and the SD slot as well as the pin hole on the bottom. The pin hole tho may be an air hole But I'm pretty sure the 4 holes next to the lens was or is were a mic was supposed to maybe be designed to go or does go on the other cams the manufacture that makes them for dji may have as other options for there cameras. Tho there was talk before the FC40s came out that it was going to have sound. But DJI may may decided against it to keep cost down or so it dont use needed computing resources to also record sound.

No, those holes are definitely for sound. There are more than 20 versions of this Aiptec camera and they all have sound enabled. The reason DJI disabled it in the firmware (really. I don't think this camera is any different from all the others, hardware wise) must be because by disabling sound, the wifi signal is only used for image data. Having sound over wifi adds latency and lag. I am glad DJI managed to get such a wifi performance with this cost effective little camera.

its not just disabled in the firmware there is no mic or any thing even resembling one inside the camera. Tho I agree sound would take up more bandwidth resulting in more lag

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl