PV Cases...

Too dark to fly after work during the week... so I get bored...

dji-case02.jpg

I'm also working on a 2' x 2' helipad, after busting a prop landing in grass that was just a tad too tall...

-slinger

gpauk said:
Yeah -- I always take off from my flight case, and land by flying up to me and take hold of the legs... I try never to touch the ground! :)

Okay... So you're holding one of the landing gear in one hand. How do you kill power? I'd like to be able to do the same thing...

-slinger

gunslinger said:
gpauk said:
Yeah -- I always take off from my flight case, and land by flying up to me and take hold of the legs... I try never to touch the ground! :)

Okay... So you're holding one of the landing gear in one hand. How do you kill power? I'd like to be able to do the same thing...

-slinger

Grab it in your right hand, with your left hand hold the throttle fully down for 3 seconds. If you're a lefty, learn to catch with the right. ;)

Yep this is the technique I've decided on. Dang thing tips over to easy on landing if the motors don't cut out right. For me that's about 20% of the time. Much easier to pluck it out of the air.
I've noticed that sometimes if I turn it over top facing down
It will kill the motors on its own. If not then I hit the sticks.

James

gunslinger said:
gpauk said:

-slinger

Heh. I often do the same thing. Tx hangs from my neck by a strap. I reach up with my right hand (I'm right-handed) and kill the motors with my left. Easy as falling off a log. When flying from my yard I will take off from a resin picnic table. SOMETIMES I land on it, too. Sometimes I just snatch it out of the air.

PF

This is the same case everyone else is useing and the battery and accessories only add another 5 lbs. I open the lid to face the sun to maximize the power I get from the solar panel and to alleviate any heat issues. It has USB ports so I can charge my AA's , wifi and smart battery

Attachments

• ScreenShot055.jpg
    ScreenShot055.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 351
  • ScreenShot056.jpg
    ScreenShot056.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 366
  • ScreenShot057.jpg
    ScreenShot057.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 354
I just got another email back from tradecraft cases, much like go professional cases they are in the final stages of development of making a completely new p2v specific case. They said that pre orders will probably happen in a week or so with cases shipping early December. Like go professional they also use the dense/heavier laser molded and cut foam in a weather tight case. They did not indicate what size the case would be vs their current phantom cases.

They said to keep an eye on their website for the latest info.

The cases that everyone is making with the pluck n pull foam look awesome by the way.

wildcatter said:
This is the same case everyone else is useing and the battery and accessories only add another 5 lbs. I open the lid to face the sun to maximize the power I get from the solar panel and to alleviate any heat issues. It has USB ports so I can charge my AA's , wifi and smart battery

Wow slick case. Seems like you have put alot of thought into it. You say its the same case everyones using? this

one.http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/2 ... C99C54F659 ?

Seems like a good price. I may have to adopt your set up.

James

Had a case laying around that fit the PV well. I bought a 4' x 8' sheet of insulation from Home Depot and doctored it up to fit the case. This is the result. It transports my PV nicely for now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 481
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 505
Dang nice case for 119 bucks! I like the compact size. I found an old EMS box at work (fire fighter). We were gonna toss it out because we have moved to soft cases. It's Orange but its a Pelican 1560. It looks almost identical to your case. I may purchase one in the future. The Orange case is fine for now but I wouldn't want to carry it around on a plane and its is kinda beat up on the outside.

James

just ordered this all the way from Singapore!!! Cant wait for it to come so that i can bring my PV to Palau for my dive trip!

What size are the cases you guys are buying in the UK. I cannot see one for the price you have quoted?
I suspect that the price has changed.

Geert:
How much padding does that case have on top and bottom of the PV? If it is 21cm thick outside, and the PV is 18.4cm from feet to top of motor shaft, doesn't seem like much room for case wall thickness plus padding.
I do like the idea of a little more compact case than some of the other suggestions.

coloradosky said:
coloradosky said:
I ordered this case yesterday:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/2 ... nfirmEmail

$55 with shipping!

Will let you know how it works out.

The case arrived. Laying the PV and controller into their places, looks like we'll have clearance with depth width and height. There are 3 layers of tight pluck foam, plus egg crate on top. 4 latches and a rubber gasket all the way around. Looks larger than carry on size (a negative in my book), so we'll see how well I can pad it inside and post that picture when done.

(in the picture I have removed one layer of foam, and the PV is sitting on 2 layers still in the case)

Now having used this case for a couple of weeks and several flights etc, I'd pick a case that was smaller and easier to travel with, and I would remove the props every time I packed it away for that smaller size benefit. This MCM case is probably too large for carry on, and just feels big. Prop removal and install takes all but 20 seconds, and I wish I'd kept the case smaller. I think 'setting up' the vision before flight by installing props is probably a good opportunity to handle it and get a feel for everything being right before flight, versus popping it out of the case and setting it down for take off. (I'm streamlining the process, but you get it).

Ya know, I kind of concur with this sentiment. I only have a Phantom (not a Vision) and the mcmelectronics case for THAT is even kinda big for distant travel. It's good for tossing in the car and protecting your gear, though. I grossly underestimated how substantial these cases are. I was quite surprised (pleasantly, at first) when I received mine. Now I realize just how heavy and thick-walled these cases are. They're built like the proverbial brick ****-house.

PF

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20