Purchasing soon, training options?

Reaction score
I'll be back in the US in 1.5 weeks and will be picking up a Phantom 3 at a local shop, along with case, spare battery etc.

Looking to purchase a training drone as well, one to get myself up to speed but also to occupy with 12 year old son whilst "daddy" plays with the real toy.

Question is is this a good training quad? And does it have the same orientation of controls as the Phantom 3?

Hubsan X4 (H107L)
http://www.amazon.com/Hubsan-H107L-...p/B00IZC6C8E/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

thanks

It does have the same controls if you leave it set as such. Many people get confused and reverse them due to the less than stellar instructions. As long as you pay close attention to the setup process, you'll be just fine.

I've used this very same Quad to practice "nose in" maneuvers. Also, the one time I lost GPS signal on my P2V+ V3, having some experience in "channel driven flight" saw me able to land my Quad and not wreck it.

Some will say a trainer Quad isn't necessary with these advanced Quads. I, on the other hand, think these smaller quads can do nothing if prepare you for situations one hopes not to encounter with their $1,000+ DJI quad.

Good flying for you man!

I still have my original Hubsan, and still love it.

Yes, the X4 uses a "mode2" controller, same as the P3's...

Get a set or two of extra props and a few extra batteries.

Fly, fly, and fl;y some more. Crash into your living room walls, terrorize the German Shepard,
and spook the canary !!!

You'll learn so much and have fun doing it. After two weeks of flying the Hubsan all the time (outdoors too) the P3 will seem like it's flying itself, but you won't crash because you became disoriented and cross controlled.

:harry

Reactions: BlackHawk388
This old geezer went out and got a couple of Hubsan X-4s with the HD camera from B&H in order to practice hand-eye coordination. They are beautifully made and a TON of fun, (flight time is about five or six minutes - so I also bought extra batteries along with extra props. )
Tip: 1.) there should be a prop guard under the packaging. Be sure to put it on !!! 2.) You Tube has a lot of videos on the Hubsan X-4. Check them out. 3.) The HD camera does a pretty decent job - I think you'll get a charge out of it. It can't be compared to my Phantom 3 Pro but look at the $$$ difference !!!

Syma X5C

2000+ Reviews mostly 5 star
This one is fun fast and durable! Replacement parts motors props you name it!
Mods Most flown small Quad on the market!

sysmax5c.jpg

Tons of cheap add-ons will be fun for a long time.
http://www.amazon.com/Syma-Channel-2-4GHz-Explorers-Copter/dp/B00MNG37C2

Syma X5C-1 4 Channel 2.4GHz RC Helicopter Explorers Quad Copter with Camera

In Stock

• A key 360o roll, continuous roll for perfect action and wonderful performance.
  • Build-in 6 axis gyroscope for precise hovering in the sky.
  • Various control options for those piloting the X5C. Up, Down, Left, Right, Forward, Backward, Leftward flight, Rightward flight.
  • Using spread spectrum technology for further remote distance, best anti-interference ability, least power consumption. you could fly more helicopters at the same time, its reaction speed is 100 times faster than other radio control.
  • It is a upgraded version of X5C equiped with HD Camera.Please know that the "X" of X5C on the plane is red.

Thanks another option.

Separate question

Looking at videos for Phatom 2, you have to do same hardware mods to the Phantom 3 controller to convert to mode 1. We here in Australia mainly fly mode 1.

------edit found my answer
"By default, the Remote Controller is set to Mode 2. This means that the right control stick controls the movement of the aircraft and the left control stick controls the throttle and orientation of the aircraft. These controls can be changed to Mode 1 or set to a customized configuration in the DJI Pilot app. This is only recommended for advanced users."

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl