Pulling my hair out over high ISO/grainy night shots - really love your input

Reaction score
Hey all - long story short, I'm using a P3P, and I've shot some dusk stuff at ISO 1600 before with great results, such as the second shot of this video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Shot video of the eclipse yesterday since I was lucky enough to be smack in the middle of it. Was on ISO 800, and the footage was incredibly grainy - I was really disappointed but used it anyway since I can't hardly reshoot it. Relevant portion begins at 0:48 in this video:

I'm really upset at myself for blowing my one chance to get incredible footage of this. The only thing I can think of is for the first video I used Color Profile "None", 0/0/0, and AWB, while in the second, I was using D-Cinelike, -1/-1/-1, and Sunny. Could any of that possibly have made the difference?

Even if there was more light in the top video section (not that I'm convinced there was), still doesn't make a great deal of sense to me why ISO 1600 could look so great and ISO 800 could be so grainy. Meanwhile, I'm seeing other footage online of drones flying in the middle of the eclipse and it looks great. Here's one that has a constant shot throughout - the exposure always seems to be just great, too; how the heck?

Thanks a lot, all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan