Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Proposal: Ultra-Light Aerial Photography Camera

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MonsieurAnon, Mar 29, 2015.

1. MonsieurAnon

I have been following a number of threads on rcgroups, and in other places about the attributes that the perfect compact camera for aerial photography might have. While there hasn't exactly been a consensus, or enough interest to spur any of the big camera manufacturers into making something that caters for us, the following is what I see as a good summary of what people wanted:

• APS-C or similar sized sensor
    • Under 250g ready to shoot
    • Interchangeable lenses
    • Powered by main flight battery
    • Continuous shooting
    • Manual camera control
    • Remote shutter via RC channel
    • AV out

Instead of sitting on my hands, or settling for a camera that achieved some of these goals, I have been a little more pro-active. I have found / hacked / modified / wired together a prototype camera that meets all of the above goals, except for AV out.

The camera I started with is part of a series, or line of cameras that HAD that feature, but because I bought mine as a new model before there was a definitive answer online on the topic, I simply assumed that it would have it. As it stands, there are quite a number of second hand, older camera bodies available, and I am thinking of buying one, to complete the above list.

I already have everything that I need in the prototype that I've produced, as I do photogrammetry, and FPV isn't really relevant for that. However, I believe that a large number of people must have a need for a similarly light, large sensored camera, so;

If I were to attempt to manufacture these in small batches, how much would you personally pay for something like this?

I originally posted this over at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2379544 but didn't receive much of a response so I thought I'd try a different crowd.

2. Brent10

For me, the ability to shoot in raw format is essential. Also, it should be ruggedized to some extent to give it a better chance of surviving crashes. Depending on the features of the end product I might pay up to $300.

I have been looking at the Sony RX100 with the Dronexpert.nl adapter that allows manual control. However, that setup would approach $1000. Yikes.

3. N017RW

How about some photos of and from it?