Propellers

Silent Props? No such creature for Phantom series of aircraft. Mavic Series have "Reduced Noise" props but that are not for Phantoms.

Their is silent propellers.

Don't get me wrong I would LOVE to see some (as I'm sure many of us would) but I've never seen (aka heard) silent propellers for a Phantom sUAS.

Any chance you've seen some "Silent" props for other sUAS? I'd love to see them and check them out myself.

PLEASE prove me wrong. . .

Reactions: joeyjan19
An article in the past boasting that fact of silent propellers.
It's physically impossible to silence spinning propellers.

You can only reduce noise via various methods, most notably tapering the edges and molding the airfoil shape to fit the specific speeds and loads expected.

Recently Twitter user / semi-confirmed leak source OsitaLV posted pictures of what he thinks are the props of a P4P V2.0. His leaks have been pretty close (some spot on), so maybe we'll see tapered props on the next iteration.

OsitaLV on Twitter

For now, you got what you got.

Reactions: D_B
It's physically impossible to silence spinning propellers.

You can only reduce noise via various methods, most notably tapering the edges and molding the airfoil shape to fit the specific speeds and loads expected.

Recently Twitter user / semi-confirmed leak source OsitaLV posted pictures of what he thinks are the props of a P4P V2.0. His leaks have been pretty close (some spot on), so maybe we'll see tapered props on the next iteration.

OsitaLV on Twitter

For now, you got what you got.

You need to see what the Coast Guard has.

I personally didn’t see or hear it but a fellow I know flew it several years ago for the CG and said it was unbelievable. All black for night operations, and his word was “ silent”

Sorry, my cat did it again, powered by 2 PT-6 turbines but they were muffled somehow and the propellers he said were in his words “ different “I’m sure he wasn’t supposed to say to much but his stories were interesting.

I have the low noise on my mavic and wondered about the same thing on the phantom however to be honest I am not always in favor of the lower noise level. It does make locating the bird more difficult as it has to be much closer before you hear it. Aside from being more stealthy around people I prefer more noise in open areas.

Reactions: BigAl07
Curious. Just can't quite visualize why the Coast Guard would need stealth capability whopty-copters.

Curious. Just can't quite visualize why the Coast Guard would need stealth capability whopty-copters.

When pursuing go-fast boats at night they can be effective at surprising the smugglers which gives them the obvious advantage. The additional sound reduction from tail rotor-less aircraft makes them difficult to locate over the sound of the boat’s engines.

The additional sound reduction from tail rotor-less aircraft makes them difficult to locate over the sound of the boat’s engines.

that makes a HUGE difference in the amount of sound and the "type" of sound the Helo gives off.

Ocean liners for one they catch them dumping toilets before docking, drugs, any type of smuggling into the country. The CG is out there a lot more than you might think. They often fly, how can I say this, at night around certain countries south of us to intercept human and other goods being moved at night. I hope I don’t get a knock at my door for bring this up.

Ocean liners for one they catch them dumping toilets before docking, drugs, any type of smuggling into the country. The CG is out there a lot more than you might think. They often fly, how can I say this, at night around certain countries south of us to intercept human and other goods being moved at night. I hope I don’t get a knock at my door for bring this up.

These are fixed wing twin engine turbine aircraft, they have high lift wing devices, radio altimeters so they can go very slow and just feet above the water, so radar is not a factor and being as quiet as they are detecting them is very difficult.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.