Propeller out Flying?

Reaction score
Today I was flying my Phantom and one of the propellers came out. Tnx GOD I't was only a few feets high. I always check them and others things before fly and the nut was tight. This have happend to anybody?

Is your's an early Phantom, fitted with all right-hand threaded nuts?

...The current versions, have 2 off left-hand threaded motors and 2 off right-hand threaded motors, which logically are always self tightening, rather than the earlier ones, which 2 off, could tend to undo by themselves.

oldengineer said:

...The current versions, have 2 off left-hand threaded motors and 2 off right-hand threaded motors, which logically are always self tightening, rather than the earlier ones, which 2 off, could tend to undo by themselves.

But that said, the earlier props are keyed/have flats. So provided that the nuts are reasonably tightened and the flats on the prop and shaft are a good fit, I would have thought that they would be unlikely to undo themselves.
But I've been wrong before ;)

discv said:
But that said, the earlier props are keyed/have flats. So provided that the nuts are reasonably tightened and the flats on the prop and shaft are a good fit, I would have thought that they would be unlikely to undo themselves.

...The current ones are also keyed. The keying only stops the props moving (as much) It's the L.H / R.H thread combination that's critical. i.e. the torque of the motor will spin off the nut in a instant (if its not super tight) if its R.H, but needs to be L.H.

I don't know if this will help any, but I have never had this problem. I installed star washers under each of the prop nuts and torque them down each time before a flight. So far, knock on wood, I have never found a loose nut.

oldengineer said:
discv said:

...The current ones are also keyed. The keying only stops the props moving (as much) It's the L.H / R.H thread combination that's critical. i.e. the torque of the motor will spin off the nut in a instant (if its not super tight) if its R.H, but needs to be L.H.

There seems to be 2 types of new prop. One type is as you say. But on the DJI site they show a prop with integrated prop nut with a sculptured spanner to hold the motor casing.

discv said:
There seems to be 2 types of new prop. One type is as you say. But on the DJI site they show a prop with integrated prop nut with a sculptured spanner to hold the motor casing.

...Forget the props, concentrate on the L.H & R.H threads... ;)

RodVa said:
Today I was flying my Phantom and one of the propellers came out. Tnx GOD I't was only a few feets high. I always check them and others things before fly and the nut was tight. This have happend to anybody?

If you have one of the early Phantom as I have you will not have the luxury of self tightening nuts by virtue of reverse rotation.

When I unboxed my Phantom from new the very first thing I did was throw away the silver domed prop nuts that came with it - I never flew my Phantom from new with the stock nuts.

Do yourself a favor and get some M6 Nyloc nuts. I bought 20 of them on fleabay for about $5.

You will NEVER have a problem with nuts coming loose again.

If you are convinced that all your nuts were tight before your flight the other issue that can cause this is a fracture in the prop hub itself. Sometimes a hairline fracture occurs from the top to the bottom of the hub due to general vibration and flight fatigue. If this happens then under further stress of flight the prop can shatter in two leaving the nut in place.

I have had one prop do this to me but since I do a pre-flight check on this sort of thing before EVERY flight (a hang up from my RC Heli flying days) I caught the crack before I flew :eek:

oldengineer said:

I have the latest Phantom the one with the two nuts black and two silver

The Editor said:
When I unboxed my Phantom from new the very first thing I did was throw away the silver domed prop nuts that came with it - I never flew my Phantom from new with the stock nuts.

Do yourself a favor and get some M6 Nyloc nuts. I bought 20 of them on fleabay for about $5.

You will NEVER have a problem with nuts coming loose again.

100% agree with this, best mod you can make and its so cheap and effective. Using regular nuts is just asking for trouble the new props and motors should avoid this with CW and CCW threads but any regular motors Nylock nuts are the go.

I use these, M6 from probolt:

http://www.probolt-usa.com/aluminium-dome-nuts-m6-din-1587-pack-x-10-red.html#.UYRITbRghyI

DOMENUT6-10R.jpg
nyn6-10bk.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl