Private Drone Use in North Carolina, Laws?

Reaction score
So I am new to the hobby, I live in North Carolina and I just bought a Phantom 3 Advanced. I have been reading conflicting and hard to understand laws that could be misinterpreted.
Its telling me that its against the law to use the drone for surveillance on any dwelling or person. Now obviously when I fly the drone It has a camera and i'm recording, but its not as if i'm hovering over someone or someones home spying. I am flying for fun, and I do this as a hobby and make no profit from it whatsoever.

Does this law apply to me? Can anyone more understandable of this NC law, give me some more guidance? I want to follow the law and be smart about this. Thank you in advance!

Ignore the fact that it is a drone/UAV, the use of airspace is under the jursidiction of the national/federal government whether you live in North Carolina or South Korea.

Instead, check up the laws in your state on photgraphing people, they will be hard to find. In the meantime the guiding principle is that people have a reasonable expectation of privacy so you should make sure you are not filming people who are somewhere that they think is private.

As mentioned, a link would save everyone a lot of time. I suspect what you read applies to law enforcement. Most cannot use in this way without a warrant.

Stop in the local Police Department and ask to talk to the meanest Superior Officer they have. Find out what you can do which will cause him give you grief. Then don't do that. ;)

I feel most of these new state laws will get squashed once they get challenged.
No state has authority to control the use of airspace.
Nor can a state deny a person the legal right to take photos of items in public view.
If all you're doing is just flying over a house or lots of houses, forget the law. Enjoy!
I'd say the law is looking more at, are you flying in a manner where you are deliberately trying to record a
person inside their home? Or while they're out in their yard?
Then, the state has the burden of proof of what you were doing.
For now, don't worry about the law and go fly the dang bird!

Reactions: tcope and IflyinWY

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav