Preventative Maintenance? DJI No Help!

Reaction score
P2V+ V3.0 here. I fly 3 batteries almost daily except in rain, excessive humidity, and heavy wind. How long can I expect these 4 motors to hold up. Should I swap them out eventually?. So far they sound, look and fly okay but 400 feet up is a bad time to need to change parts. I saw a YT vid of some guy using a cheap tach meter to check each motor's rpm. Is this a good idea? I called DJI and the "federal work study students" answering the phones are seriously lacking knowledge of their products.

Last edited:
The motors are brushless motors and should last a long long time. However as with every moving part there is wear and tear. With the motors it's the bearings. Just keep check on the by doing a toucheE feallie test. See that they turn freely and all have the same resistanc. Turn the shaft a listen for any scraping sounds or for grinding. If you get any abnormalities change out the motor. If the feal tight and act the same turn and no bad sound keep flying. You will get where you can tell when one is different and acting up. When I change a motor I change the speed controller with it (ESC). To me it's cheep insurance to keep my bird in good flying order.
To test the ESC I make sure they power up and start and stop the props at the same time. I use a laser tach to check the rpm at idle and at high speed every one in a while. If one of the motors is 100-150 rpm difference I change out the ESC and test again. Keep good props and keep the battery contacts clean and any residue cleaned with alcohol. Wipe bird down with mild soap an water and check screws for looseness. Keep the batteries cycled at 20 uses and clean contacts. Other than that I fly and have a lot of fun. I do a lot of autonomous flights do to my terrain. Have two birds and have had no major problems. Only crashes were pilot error. And all minor. I just remember what goes up must come down and I want it to come down when and how I want.... Enjoy flying!

Reactions: MikeTess
The motors are brushless motors and should last a long long time. However as with every moving part there is wear and tear. With the motors it's the bearings. Just keep check on the by doing a toucheE feallie test. See that they turn freely and all have the same resistanc. Turn the shaft a listen for any scraping sounds or for grinding. If you get any abnormalities change out the motor. If the feal tight and act the same turn and no bad sound keep flying. You will get where you can tell when one is different and acting up. When I change a motor I change the speed controller with it (ESC). To me it's cheep insurance to keep my bird in good flying order.
To test the ESC I make sure they power up and start and stop the props at the same time. I use a laser tach to check the rpm at idle and at high speed every one in a while. If one of the motors is 100-150 rpm difference I change out the ESC and test again. Keep good props and keep the battery contacts clean and any residue cleaned with alcohol. Wipe bird down with mild soap an water and check screws for looseness. Keep the batteries cycled at 20 uses and clean contacts. Other than that I fly and have a lot of fun. I do a lot of autonomous flights do to my terrain. Have two birds and have had no major problems. Only crashes were pilot error. And all minor. I just remember what goes up must come down and I want it to come down when and how I want.... Enjoy flying!
Thank you for this comprehensive reply.

Hey Roy, what did you mean when you wrote "Keep the batteries cycled at 20 uses..."? Is that the life of the battery, 20 discharge/charges?

After each 20 charges/discharges you need to run the battery down to 8% or to where it won't turn on again. Then fully charge to 100%. This helps to level out the cells and kind of rejunivats the battery. Do it every 20 cycles to help optimize the battery. Hopefully it helps to extend the life of the battery. It's found on page 10 in the manual.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj