Preflight Check list

BallisticPhantom said:
Buk so you wait for lock prior to doing the dance?

If I am going to dance, I just wait for IMU and Motor Arming then Boogie, I am unsure there is a reason to wait for lock as it will re-establish after the dance. Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks for the info Buk

Please note I said I was a noob and practice voodoo, meaning perhaps unnecessary procedures. Some where I read, do not disturb the Phantom while it is warming up and doing whatever locks it maybe doing. So after getting the series of green blinks and no more reds meaning satellite lock, then I move the Phantom around doing the compass dance and then finish installing the battery, turning on and starting the camera, powering the camera, video transmitter, voltage alarm and perhaps a headlight LED.

Then I start the motors, fly 3-4 feet in the air for a bit, then a little higher and try roll, pitch and yaw and re-establish hover and makes sure it hovers before flying. Thinking my voodoo will help prevent or reduce the chance of a fly away. That and keeping up to date with firmware (plus everything on other people's pre-flight checklists).

Hey Buk, VooDoo or Lucky Rabbits foot hanging off the GoPro to stop Jello, You brought up a good question that I had not considered which is why I put it to the masses for debate. Thanks again for the input

Lithium During your surrounding area check on the list do you think some space for you to put that down would suffice sun and wind direction? That way if you want to use it you can and if not it would not jumble up the list. Or do you think we need to add it as an item? Let us know.

BallisticPhantom said:
Lithium During your surrounding area check on the list do you think some space for you to put that down would suffice sun and wind direction? That way if you want to use it you can and if not it would not jumble up the list. Or do you think we need to add it as an item? Let us know.
I am honored BallisticPhantom that you are asking my opinion. :)
Here is an actual picture from my transmitter, I made this sticker before this topic was started.

1: Camera---------Means that check the GoPro Camera, make sure it is on and it is in my favorite Video mode.
2: Transmitter----Simply turn transmitter on
3: Battery---------Plug in the battery for the Phantom I.
----------------------Did not feel necessary to remind myself to wait for proper warming up, but always do.
4: Altimeter-------I have a small Altitude recorder, reminding myself to start it.
5: Camera start---Start recording in GoPro
6: Timer------------Start timer, as the picture shows I have a timer on the transmitter.

Lithium...That looks like a good solution for your specific set-up. And...it would be very hard to misplace it...!!!

It's important to realize that all of us have different equipment, needs and procedures, so these sample lists are just that, a series of "check offs" that can help us remember the many details that are easily overlooked when we are headed skyward.. I'd suggest that those wanting a shorter... or longer...list should take what they need from the multiple suggestions on this thread and create something that is exactly what YOU need... There is just no way that any one approach or list is going to be right for everyone.

We are trying to "cover all the bases" with this project...with the idea that it's better to have too much detail than to leave things out that might be very important to some pilots. I believe that most of us have good "cut and paste" skills, so feel free to modify any part of these check offs to suit YOUR needs, skills, gear, experience, etc. There have already been a lot of great ideas posted by group members....I know that I've learned a lot about the differences between the Phantom and the P2V and the many things that each of them need before lift-off.

Topeeka said:
Excellent thought, and one I've done a little bit on. It's far to easy to get so comfortable with flying a Phantom that one can forget something simple, obvious or basic....with unpleasant consequences. I like what has been suggested here, I would add that the P2V needs about a dozen different steps..establishing WiFi, selecting the app, doing whatever camera options are desired, etc. Most of these are connected to the FPV function. I'll be following this thread and be interested to read more suggestions.

Here are the steps I take when getting my P2V ready...these in addition to most of the ones in the preceding lists.

Check battery level of the uninstalled main battery and install it in the Phantom
Turn on range extender
Double check of the main battery level after installation in the Phantom
Turn on main battery (Enjoy the sound and light show!)
Turn on Controller (Listen for the confirmation beep...or double beep for FAA setting)
Activate "Settings" in iPhone
Under "WiFi", view "Choose a Network" (There may be a wait for the WiFI to become active)
WiFi for "Phantom****" should be active, if not, select it
Activate DJI app on iPhone
Verify battery power via app
Check number of satellites acquired
Check for installed SD card
If needed, verify camera settings, still, video, burst, ISO, tilt, etc.
No FPV image?? Remove lens cap from camera...!
Operate S1 switch 9 times
Perform Compass Calibration
Start video camera or intervalometer for stills...optional, but nice to have take off images at times...!
Double check for nearby obstructions, people, etc.
Ready, Set, Fly..!!

Hi Topeeka - good checklist which I would strongly suggest you change in one respect: NEVER turn on the aircraft without having the transmitter on first. If you do there is a chance of the aircraft receiver accepting control signals/interference from elsewhere (or even binding to another transmitter if you are flying with others). You never want the aircraft to get the chance to listen to anything other than the binding signal from YOUR transmitter.

Don't mean to get heavy about it, but if she gets a spurious signal whilst waiting for you to turn on your Tx that mimics the CSC followed by full power...

(This is good RC practice for anything that's remote controlled, on any control frequency, of any type).

Pull Up... A very good point...and one that I, as a very new flyer, had not considered. What my limited experience had told me was that the Phantom needed to be powered on so that the link to the WiFi and FPV could be completed. I've generally switched the Controller on just after the Phantom is powered on...but...your suggestion...is excellent and I totally understand why that change in sequence is good practice. I sure don't want anyone....or anything....else flying MY Phantom.

I will go change that In my original edit...thanks again... It's things like this that can really improve our understanding and help us all improve our skills and procedures...

Good Stuff Guys... Keep the Ideas coming.

Lithium Thanks for the Photo that's a great idea for the short list of Critical's. Especially with that stark white controller. Gives it a little in fill.

Topeeka said:
Pull Up... A very good point...and one that I, as a very new flyer, had not considered. What my limited experience had told me was that the Phantom needed to be powered on so that the link to the WiFi and FPV could be completed. I've generally switched the Controller on just after the Phantom is powered on...but...your suggestion...is excellent and I totally understand why that change in sequence is good practice. I sure don't want anyone....or anything....else flying MY Phantom.

I will go change that In my original edit...thanks again... It's things like this that can really improve our understanding and help us all improve our skills and procedures...

The risk is small, but if you can eliminate it easily it's worth doing. Thanks for taking my post as it was meant - sorry if it came across a little too heavy! :)

We know you did just did not have your Coffee yet... Grump :eek:

OK PU...! And not THAT "PU"..>G< You did NOT come across as "too heavy"...any message I get that is NOT accented with a blow with a 2X4 is appreciated...!

Nope, your suggestion was exactly on the mark...just one of those things that I had not considered at all. I know what 'worked' for me...and that is what I had posted. I think where I am located...in the U.S. MidWest.. the chances of having anything else in the radio spectrum that might interfere is less than in other locations, but doing it the "right way", sure makes sense to me.. You may have noted that I have made that change in the P2V list already...

Sorry about the sick child....I hope it's not a virus that can be transmitted over the 'Net...hope you both recover real soon..!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic