Poor video quality during pan

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Using Litchi, I’ve been trying to get a 20 sec pan of an arc of 90 degrees taken from 30 metres altitude of my local area.

I’m using a Phantom 4 plus using two waypoints 4.4 metres apart and a cruising speed of 1.1 Kph.

WP1 is set to heading 155, POI – NONE and Gimbal pitch set to -15 and Interpolate.

WP2 is set to heading 245, POI - NONE and Gimbal pitch set to -15 and Interpolate.

Video settings 3840 x 2160 MP4 29.97 fps. Video coding H.264. NTSC . Shutter speed 60.

Focus mode AFC.

The actual pan when played back is a little under 16 secs but the close and medium distance scene is very poor quality and altogether disappointing.

The clarity is nowhere near as clear as the examples I've seen. As soon as the pan finishes the images are immediately back to their normal stunning clarity.

Is there anything anyone can suggest which will rectify the matter?

David

Do you get the same type of problem when using just DJI app on RC to record a pan of something else?
I think you mean, if I try to do a pan manually? I'm afraid my manual skills don't allow me to get the speed low enough or smooth enough to even try.

I'll try slowing the pan down to about 40 secs and see if that improves things. I'll let you know any progress.

I think you mean, if I try to do a pan manually? I'm afraid my manual skills don't allow me to get the speed low enough or smooth enough to even try.
Yes, manual pan. You should be able to do that with some practice but your suggestion to slow it down will let you know if that is the problem.

@davideo0
I not going to be much help, most of my missions I'm not using any POI, etc, since I usually loose signal 80% of the flight.
If your share your mission from the hub, like this.
Mission Hub - Litchi

Others can view it, actually edit it, re-share it back from their account.
They can't over-right your mission on your account.

Rod

I'm afraid my manual skills don't allow me to get the speed low enough or smooth enough to even try.
You should be able to slow down the gimbal speed in the Go app to make those smoother. I had to do that myself.
Also, how many frames per second are you shooting? When I switched from 24 to 60 I noticed a big difference in video smoothness especially with high motion/movement.

You should be able to slow down the gimbal speed in the Go app to make those smoother. I had to do that myself.
Also, how many frames per second are you shooting? When I switched from 24 to 60 I noticed a big difference in video smoothness especially with high motion/movement.
I'm using Litchi as I explained in my original post. You'll see I'm already using 30 fps and SS 1/60.
What I did was to increase the distance between the two waypoints and this slowed down the pan by a considerable amount. The result was much better quality images during the pan But it took 39 secs from start to finish which seemed rather a long time for a 90 degree pan. It was suggested by another person I should try increasing the shutter speed to something greater than 1/120. So I may give that a try to see if can get improved image quality without over extending the time for the pan.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT