Polor Pro Standard vs. Vivid

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying some polar pro filters. Amazon has a Standard 3 pack CP, ND4 & ND8 for $69, and the vivid series 3 pack ND4-PL, ND8-PL, ND16-PL for $99.

Is the vivid worth the extra $$?

I own the Cinema series shutter collection and absolutely love them. I believe the difference in price is due to a higher grade glass used, as well as a lifetime warranty.

keep in mind that the "vivid" series you mentioned are a polarized lens. if you're like me and not a professional photographer, I'd suggest going with the "Shutter" collection.

They're more user friendly IMO.

No need to dial them in, and less worries concerning the position of the sun.

Also keep in mind that the stock gimbal guard will not fit over the PP lenses. For that I highly suggest purchasing the PP gimbal guard.

Last edited:
Reactions: renegadecj
Thanks. I'm definitely not a professional photographer, but want to still take good photos/videos.

Thanks for the info on the gimbal guard as well. I didn't even think about that!

I own the Cinema series shutter collection and absolutely love them. I believe the difference in price is due to a higher grade glass used, as well as a lifetime warranty.

keep in mind that the "vivid" series you mentioned are a polarized lens. if you're like me and not a professional photographer, I'd suggest going with the "Shutter" collection.

They're more user friendly IMO.

No need to dial them in, and less worries concerning the position of the sun.

Also keep in mind that the stock gimbal guard will not fit over the PP lenses. For that I highly suggest purchasing the PP gimbal guard.

Is there a "standard" filter you leave on all the time, and then change out when there are specific conditions? In other words, do you ever use the stock lens?

Last edited:
I've found my ND4 never gets used, the ND8, ND16 and ND32's are what I'm normally using.

Reactions: antnyp85
Is there a "standard" filter you leave on all the time, and then change out when there are specific conditions? In other words, do you ever use the stock lens?

I haven't the experience nor the expertise to give you an absolute "go to" lens. But for me the ND16 seems to be a staple.

I do plan on picking up an ND8 in the near future as I feel I would then have all the lens options I will ever need.

In the Early Morning or when there is little sky in the Field of view ( focusing on a structure or Forest vs just having the Gimbal @ 0 degrees I usually use the ND8, Late Morning into the Afternoon I use the ND16. Also, I try to achieve 1/60 shutter speed when filming @ 30 FPS. So, I almost always shoot in manual. However, shooting in manual requires additional actions. You will only be completely properly exposed in one orientation. If you select the exposure for the sun behind you, and then you choose to rotate 180 degrees you will be extremely over exposed, Unless the blown out High key is what you are seeking then you will need to make in flight exposure adjustments (ISO or Shutter speed)

I would recommend you go with the shutter collection. They are straight nd filters that will help you dial in proper exposure more consistently than the vivid collection. With the vivid collection on each shot where the orientation to the sun changes you have to land the uav point the uav in the new direction you will be flying and rotate the polarizer ring to adjust how much polarization you want. It is a pain for recreational flying. If you don't readjust the polarization and just fly around, if there is a lot of blue sky in your shots the intensity of the blue sky will change during the flight across the image. Most effects you get with a polarizer filter can be obtained in post production. The straight nd (shutter) collection will allow you to compensate for the p4s fixed aperature and be more flexible with dialing in the iso and shutter speed you're trying to achieve. I have both sets and use the shutter collection at least 80+% of the time. Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more.

Reactions: antnyp85

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94