Police handcuff, detain and ticket Part 107 Pilot under aircraft ordinance that does not apply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this is such a grey legal area, I don't see how police could arrest you unless its private property. Police Officers are not trained in various classes of FAA controlled airsplace. They couldn't tell you the difference from class C,E controlled airspace. I mean unless a control tower visually spots it and requests police contact.

Reactions: Ansia
Since this is such a grey legal area, I don't see how police could arrest you unless its private property. Police Officers are not trained in various classes of FAA controlled airsplace. They couldn't tell you the difference from class C,E controlled airspace. I mean unless a control tower visually spots it and requests police contact.
And yet, they did...

If you listen to the audio on the video, he's taking plays right out of the the "sovereign citizen" playbook. YouTube is loaded with these videos. Just search "Am I being detained?" (his own words). Had he not played that card, chances are nothing would have happened. He pissed those guys off with his questions.

In the end he claims on his channel the charge was later dismissed. But flying that close to a passenger train obviously raised some suspicion. He was stupid to think he would not draw attention and may have, in fact, intended for this to happen all along.

If you listen to the audio on the video, he's taking plays right out of the the "sovereign citizen" playbook. YouTube is loaded with these videos. Just search "Am I being detained?" (his own words). Had he not played that card, chances are nothing would have happened. He pissed those guys off with his questions.

In the end he claims on his channel the charge was later dismissed. But flying that close to a passenger train obviously raised some suspicion. He was stupid to think he would not draw attention and may have, in fact, intended for this to happen all along.
Show respect to the officer..... no matter how hard it is and prolly the situation will be fine.

Most county parks here in MI do not allow the flying of drones.

I've had police over twice in a year. The complaints flying over a house at 150 to 200ft. They complained I was spying, taking video and pictures, violating their airspace above their houses. I wasnt. Even if I was it's legal. I'm not in their windows. Police start by it violates ordinances to scare you. You tell them there are no ordinances. They agree. They tell me just be cool with it, what does that mean. The law is stay under 400ft. I'm nice to them, they say they have to at least show up if they get a complaint. They knock on the door twice then go away. If it's the same female officer I tell her she has an affinity for me and I like it. Cities, villages, etc dont know what to with it. If u live in suburbia and take off and fly 200ft. 99 percent of people are cool. There will always be those who ***** about anything. I had a angry guy stop by when I was outside. Take your phone out and start videoing him. They go away. Its just going to happen. If they shoot u down it's a felony shooting at an aircraft. Call the police. Happy flying.

I've had police over twice in a year. The complaints flying over a house at 150 to 200ft. They complained I was spying, taking video and pictures, violating their airspace above their houses. I wasnt. Even if I was it's legal. I'm not in their windows. Police start by it violates ordinances to scare you. You tell them there are no ordinances. They agree. They tell me just be cool with it, what does that mean. The law is stay under 400ft. I'm nice to them, they say they have to at least show up if they get a complaint. They knock on the door twice then go away. If it's the same female officer I tell her she has an affinity for me and I like it. Cities, villages, etc dont know what to with it. If u live in suburbia and take off and fly 200ft. 99 percent of people are cool. There will always be those who ***** about anything. I had a angry guy stop by when I was outside. Take your phone out and start videoing him. They go away. Its just going to happen. If they shoot u down it's a felony shooting at an aircraft. Call the police. Happy flying.

You really have to wonder what some of these people think they have that anyone would want to spy on?

Reactions: SIngerham
He pissed those guys off with his questions.

That is not justification for taking someone to jail under false pretenses. They could not tell him what statute he violated still they said they should take him to jail just to make him find his own way back. They were in the wrong.

"Am I being detained?" is a legitimate question

Well, as I see it. He could have folded up his tent and left, and taken up his corals with the park administrator's office during his spare time. But he chose to stand there and argue with a couple of beat cops that dont know the law, and probably didnt care to learn it. What the officers do know, is how to handcuff people and take them to jail, and let the prosecutors office sort out the rest. I believe its against the law to disobey a direct order from a police officer. So he should of simply said "I will leave sir, but I am going to appeal this matter to a higher authority."

If he would of done that; he would have avoided a ride in a squad car, and not of been without his drone for a whole month. So basically, he needs to forget about what he learned in part 107 training, and study some people skills.

City Ordinances are one thing. How is it any different than a Helicopter flying over with unknown intent? You can't shoot at a aircraft for flying over. Obviously if it comes into a hover over a residential home, then it is questionable.

I've had a USMC CH-53 Sea Stallion with 2000 HP each in 3 turbines fly over my place at 500-600 AGL. Shook the house and windows. I never once *******, rare site and welcomed. I would be annoyed by a drone to be honest, but if it was transitioning through airspace and not over backyard, I could care less. The news helicopters are like big drones also, they're equipped for electronic news gathering. If they're filming your place or neighborhood for the purpose of a story, they have freedom of press and 1st amendment, a drone should be no different.

The FAA has recognized UAV's or UAS under Part 107, thus making them an aircraft with the same protections no?

Last edited:
You cannot refuse a police officers request, demand or order within reason of course.

The pilot should have complied with the officer's request first and ask questions later. If and when the opportunity comes help educate the police. Because they may/probably not k ow the specific laws governing drone operations on any level.

Another problem is the complainter(s), they almost certainly don't know the laws pertaining to drone operation. They only believe the hysteria stirred up by the sensationalistic media.

After I finish this I think I'm going to cut and paste a few of the FAA regs and any local ones I can find on a piece of paper and have it laminated to carry in my drone case for situations just like this.

I have a printout that i carry
My flights in public parks are completely legal in my city and as such, do carry a print of the city web page stating just that for just such an "emergency!" I'm not worried by local law enforcement. It's the ignorant public that concerns me.

I’m curious how he’s got sound here. Says it’s from the drone still recording, but what drone has a microphone? Maybe it’s a GoPro that he had running on the ground while flying?

And as much as the cops are wrong, and arrogant buttholes- “ Question me and I’ll arrest you...”, the pilot here really did handle it wrong.
Fact is THEY have the power to arrest you, and will if they perceive you as being a PITA.
You say “ Sorry officer, I was under the impression that this was a legal place to fly. I’ll bring it down. Could you direct Me to where I can look up the ordinances so I don’t get in trouble in the future?”
Not as satisfying as showing them they are WRONG, but live to fly another day...
They aren’t going to admit to being wrong in public.
They want you gone, you Go.

I’m curious how he’s got sound here. Says it’s from the drone still recording, but what drone has a microphone? Maybe it’s a GoPro that he had running on the ground while flying?

And as much as the cops are wrong, and arrogant buttholes- “ Question me and I’ll arrest you...”, the pilot here really did handle it wrong.
Fact is THEY have the power to arrest you, and will if they perceive you as being a PITA.
You say “ Sorry officer, I was under the impression that this was a legal place to fly. I’ll bring it down. Could you direct Me to where I can look up the ordinances so I don’t get in trouble in the future?”
Not as satisfying as showing them they are WRONG, but live to fly another day...
They aren’t going to admit to being wrong in public.
They want you gone, you Go.
I thought I did hear them offer up a safe location where he could fly. The pilot ignored their offer to be smart.

I work as a ranger at a county park here in MI, and we do not allow the flying of drones or the operation of any other remote control vehicles. If I see someone flying a drone, I tell them to put it away or leave the park. Our job is not to worry about what the law is, but to do what our bosses tell us. When people are enjoying the park, we cant afford the worry of a half pound rock falling on their head. The officers were in the right, and he was in the wrong. Its people like this that bring a bad name to our hobby

Last edited:
I work as a ranger at a county park here in MI, and we do not allow the flying of drones or the operation of any other remote control vehicles. If I see someone flying a drone, I tell them to put it away or leave the park. Our job is not to worry about what the law is, but to do what our bosses tell us. When people are enjoying the park, we cant afford the worry of a half pound rock falling on their head. The officers were in the right, and he was in the wrong. Its people like this that bring a bad name to our hobby

But isn't a park considered " public space" thus you can only cite him for an ordinance ? If the pilot is compliance with FAA 107 regs, what legal standing do you have to enforce that? Let's say the park had no codes regarding UAV's, all you can do is use the color of the law to ask the pilot cease flying correct?

Your job is to uphold the law and defend the constitution of the state of MI and the U.S. Not your bosses. Don't get confused sir. I took the same oath joining the military.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herbied143
But isn't a park considered " public space" thus you can only cite him for an ordinance ? If the pilot is compliance with FAA 107 regs, what legal standing do you have to enforce that? Let's say the park had no codes regarding UAV's, all you can do is use the color of the law to ask the pilot cease flying correct?

Your job is to uphold the law and defend the constitution of the state of MI and the U.S. Not your bosses. Don't get confused sir. I took the same oath joining the military.
Except for the fact that he was not flying under part 107. This flight was for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.