Police handcuff, detain and ticket Part 107 Pilot under aircraft ordinance that does not apply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I have found info but not the specifics about reserving at least one park.

Thanks, I have found info but not the specifics about reserving at least one park.
If you haven't yet, ask him. I don't know how he gets them, but he knows a lot about laws. One thing you have to your advantage is that he's from Miami-Dade, so they should be the same as yours.

Show respect to the officer..... no matter how hard it is and prolly the situation will be fine.
There's that authority issue again. I show courtesy. Any authority the police have was given to them by us, so they need to be polite to us and we to them... just like you do (or should do) with any other person; but I will never advocate kowtowing and calling them "sir" and all that. Cooperate? Yes. Answer questions? By all means. Kiss butt? I think not.

Don't bother flaming me over this. I've had experiences with cops and rangers, too. All but one were very pleasant. In fact, they were usually very interested; saying things like "cool" and "I've been thinking about getting one." The ranger... not so much. He ordered me to "bring it in." I told him that was exactly what I was doing at the moment, as I was done. So, he told me again, to land. It's hard to be polite when someone is barking at you. Still, I wasn't rude, but I basically stopped talking to him at that point. I landed, packed it up, and put it in the car.

That was a state park and I now know that we mustn't fly in state parks.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's that authority issue again. I show courtesy. Any authority the police have was given to them by us, so they need to be polite to us and we to them... just like you do (or should do) with any other person; but I will never advocate kowtowing and calling them "sir" and all that. Cooperate? Yes. Answer questions? By all means. Kiss butt? I think not.

Don't bother flaming me over this. I've had experiences with cops and rangers, too. All but one were very pleasant. In fact, they were usually very interested; saying things like "cool" and "I've been thinking about getting one." The ranger... not so much. He ordered me to "bring it in." I told him that was exactly what I was doing at the moment, as I was done. So, he told me again, to land. It's hard to be polite when someone is barking at you. Still, I wasn't rude, but I basically stopped talking to him at that point. I landed, packed it up, and put it in the car.

That was a state park and I now know that we mustn't fly in state parks.
You sound like a fun guy...;)

Those are famous last words for people in YouTube videos who like to taunt cops. Many of those people end up going to the police station even if they haven't done anything illegal.
As we used to say...you can beat the charge but you can't beat the ride.

Reactions: Aumoe and N017RW
I've often heard the line about "better to ask forgiveness than permission". I think you're inviting trouble if you subscribe to that mentality. I think you should incorporate a common sense approach to these situations. You probably know in advance if there's a higher than normal probability of being confronted by L.E.O., whether it be local police, park rangers, security personnel, or others. In all but rare cases, I check in with whomever I think is in charge and explain why I'm there and create a transparent and cooperative approach to the situation. I even go so far as telling them that if there are any objections, I'll simply fold up my tent and leave. They usually give me the green light. If they decline and it's that important, you can always seek permission in writing at a later date.

Going against the grain just because you can won't get you far, and you're only inviting trouble and at the same time tying up public resources (cops are paid from your tax dollars). Those that do it simply to defy authority - picking a fight - need to take a time out and broaden their perspective. If you think it's ok to blame L.E.O. for drone law ignorance, consider your knowledge of the laws governing their day to day operations and the opportunistic, spring-loaded culture that aspires to one-up the very people whose job it is to keep us insulated from the bad guys. Don't die stupid....

So let me understand this if I get caught breaking the law and didn’t know that’s no excuse? But a person that is an Law Inforcement Officer doesn’t have to know the laws is that what you are saying. Second how do you enforce something that’s not a law? A office can not intervene an action until a law has been broken. They are not prevented crime officers. Again how can someone do a job when they don’t know what the law is. This is the problem they just arrest you because you don’t leave like a coward. Let me be clear if I am confronted by an officer I will get my crap and get gone as well but that’s not right that they can do this and be wrong and get way with it and never be corrected.

N017RW, I go to park website to see who manages it (state, county, city) I look for rules on park website, if I don’t see anything on drones I’ll call park and ask. You can use this link Municode Library to search for any city and county ordinances on drones.
I went to Crandon Park website where they had a $100.00 fine for flying drones, called park and asked if I could fly my sUAS and the lady said I could that her boss told her that municipality’s cannot make their own drone rules. That is correct for NAS but not for taking off and landing from within the park. Since I got the Ok got her name and went flying.

N017RW, I go to park website to see who manages it (state, county, city) I look for rules on park website, if I don’t see anything on drones I’ll call park and ask. You can use this link Municode Library to search for any city and county ordinances on drones.
I went to Crandon Park website where they had a $100.00 fine for flying drones, called park and asked if I could fly my sUAS and the lady said I could that her boss told her that municipality’s cannot make their own drone rules. That is correct for NAS but not for taking off and landing from within the park. Since I got the Ok got her name and went flying.

Thank you.

But my question is not about a specific park’s rules. But rather the idea/notion that one park must be reserved or allow drone useage.That maybe an Arizona only requirement.

It was based on post #55 which I may have taken out of context or otherwise confused or mistaken.

Or did not follow thread correctly.

Thanks for your time and don’t burn anymore calories on this one.

But thanks for your efforts and trying to help.

Cops, like pilots, are supposed to know the law. In fact that's one basic requirement for a police officer. New laws = more retraining.

giphy.gif

Reactions: dirkclod
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20