Please help Standard or Advanced?

I bought the P3S to take on trips/holidays where if I lost it, it wouldn't be (too) painful.

I think for the extra $ the advanced is excellent value. Having said that used P3S's retain their value fairly well *assuming* no accidents (although I guess that's up to the honesty of the seller) so I plan to eventually upgrade mine at some stage.

I was in similar situation. Had syma x5hc and got completely hooked with drone video/photography. Hence looked at DJIs. In UK price difference between P3S and P3A is quite a bit ie £250 at the moment. I just could not justify this difference. I wanted to get my one from reputable retailer - and got a good Amazon warehouse deal.
You're also right about UK laws - always keep in LOS, not in congested areas etc in my mind make any extra range/distance less attractive.
I think going from Syma to P3S is a good step, if I use this a lot and don't crash, might upgrade to P4 in future but could not justify anything more than £400 at moment.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: buntonn
I hope you got it back. The thought of having to just leave it there would upset me. The good thing about a phantom 3 is you just let go of the sticks and it will stop dead in the sky just like it has brakes...But only if you are quick enough to see the tree first.

Well my little Syma X5C-1 just ran out of juice an landed in the top of my neighbours conifer tree about 60' up :eek: So think I need to order a Phantom today as want it whilst we have these rare low wind sunny days in the UK.

I did manage to get it back. Winds overnight had brought it down a tad and then stone and some string to shake the branch. It was al down to gust of wind. X5HC really could not handle a light breeze.

Good news, keeping an eye on it, need wind to get it down though, nothing much for a good few days forecast now, rare that is!!

My brain is just going Std or Advanced on the Add to cart button...

Ok bitten the bullet, Advanced with two batteries and hardshell backpack (aircraft carry on friendly) ordered. I knew I would want two batteries, so it came down to £175 difference and I get a hardshell backpack so it had to be done. Looking out for courier tomorrow :)

£400 is allot if you have to try and persuade the wife into why you have to buy one.

Here's how I did it;) started showing wife drones, cheap ones of course and let her know I'd like to pick up the hobby. Little by little, she buys into it and buys me a $40 drone for XMass. I play with that thing all the time, keep it clean, etc. After a few months, I lose the cheap drone. Guess how understanding wife was when I said I was getting a P3A!?!!!? She still says "look where your hobby has taken you from that little drone I bought you-". I smile and give her a kiss ;)

Reactions: buntonn
Ok bitten the bullet, Advanced with two batteries and hardshell backpack (aircraft carry on friendly) ordered. I knew I would want two batteries, so it came down to £175 difference and I get a hardshell backpack so it had to be done. Looking out for courier tomorrow :)

Great stuff. Am sure you'll enjoy it!!

Hello, I have recently purchased a Syma X5c-1 to learn how to fly a drone. I am looking to purchase a Phantom 3 very shortly, the standard is perfect on budget and I feel it's got almost everything I will need, however before I purchase one I want to be sure there isn't a good reason I should not stretch for the advanced model.

I want to drone to have some recreation fun and not always camera/video usage. I also would like to take the drone on holiday to get some nice photo and video footage. I don't feel concerned about 2.7k video and not having 4k as right now my TV and computers are not 4K ready anyway. I don't know if that is the right attitude or not, but it's one for personal use and maybe some on social media. Who knows maybe 4k next time.

I have read a lot on the web and watched lots of info on youtube, to find out the following

Reason for going with the Advanced model.

Better remote
Can use my iPad Air 2 on the remote instead of my iPhone 6
Better flyning distance
Vision Positioning
Lightbridge for HD visual

Reasons to buy the standard version

New Law's restrictionins on distance now so the standard is far enough
Great starting Phantom drone for the cost
Remote is simple and iPhone 6 plus is big enough display.
Will be perfect for my needs.

I would really like to hear your views on this please before buying one.

Thanks,
Nick

Get an Autel X-Star Premium

After talking about the phantom 3 a lot to the wife with her saying "you already have a drone" I just told her i sold my ph2 on ebay and got almost enough to buy my ph3 and only needed to find £100. Then asked her how much her new handbag cost. You know the one in the wardrobe collecting dust? Job done.

I was all set to buy the Standard as it seemed to be perfectly adequate for what I might use the drone for. The most exotic function would be using the "follow me" function for taking overhead videos of motorcycle rides in the twisty Tuscan hills next year. So I did not want to spend a lot of money on a drone. The other function would be land and roof inspections of the house and outlying buildings on our property as we have several acres. The Standard seemed extremely great value for the money compared to any other drone on the market. However, I found a new (not refurbished) Advanced on Amazon sold by a DJI dealer for 100 bucks more than the DJI sale price for the Standard so I bit the bullet and spent the extra 100 bucks. Not sure if it was a wise decision for the uses I have, but we shall see. I certainly would not have paid any more of a premium over the Standard's price for the uses I am contemplating.

Reactions: proudman
Hello, I have recently purchased a Syma X5c-1 to learn how to fly a drone. I am looking to purchase a Phantom 3 very shortly, the standard is perfect on budget and I feel it's got almost everything I will need, however before I purchase one I want to be sure there isn't a good reason I should not stretch for the advanced model.

I want to drone to have some recreation fun and not always camera/video usage. I also would like to take the drone on holiday to get some nice photo and video footage. I don't feel concerned about 2.7k video and not having 4k as right now my TV and computers are not 4K ready anyway. I don't know if that is the right attitude or not, but it's one for personal use and maybe some on social media. Who knows maybe 4k next time.

I have read a lot on the web and watched lots of info on youtube, to find out the following

Better remote
Better flyning distance
Vision Positioning

Thanks,
Nick

My opinion, get the advanced. If for nothing else the light bridge technology. The distance may not be a factor, but having a more powerful transmitter can push through a neighborhood full of wife fi routers. I have heard so many stories and know two people personally who have returned the standard because of the distance. the advanced is not a ton more anyway. To me, the standard is a toy. The Phantom 3 Advanced and up you are starting to get into real drones or uas or whatever you'd like to call it. Good luck.

Better remote
Better flyning distance
Vision Positioning

Thanks,
Nick

BTW the Syma x5 was a good purchase!

I first bought the standard and after a few weeks was very sad that I had not took good advice and got the advance model, so sold the standard which is a very good machine, then got a advance, oh my god what a better drone, 3mile straight line flight, great video and photos, better remote, and mostly a lot happier me.... you won't regret going that little extra money, the rewards more than make up for it.
Handy tip, take out a catalogue called very.com you get 20% discount on your first order, buy the advance on there it saved me enough to go get a second battery, plus you get 12 months interest free to pay it, I paid £560 New not 699. A really good deal.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers