Plane almost hit my drone!!!!!

Sh** happens. In the days before cell phones (and drones) I'd often buzz my house at around 150 - 200 ft so my wife would know to come to the airport to pick me up. I know of a case where an Air Force pilot buzzed his home town in an F-16. Somebit** came flying down main street at less than 500 ft., pulled up over the top of the high school gym, lit the burner, and disappeared. I know of another case where a couple of guys brought a Cessna 150 down the main drag of their home town and, at one point, the wings were lower than the street lights. F-15s flying up the Med South of Portugal will often cruise along at less than 500 ft. I guess my point is: Drones are in their airspace as soon as they leave the ground, there is no right of way at that altitude. Chalk it up to experience and move along.

Just like when you are driving a car, it is always best to avoid an accident and not worry about who's job it is, ever, it's everyone's job.

Yes, a lot of pilots break the rules, and do crazy stuff. Look at this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(Assuming they haven't pulled the video after my complaint.)

That's our airforce here in Australia doing insane low level flying between buildings on the Gold Coast in Australia. I don't believe that sort of crazy flying would be permitted in most western countries after many serious accidents overseas over the years at air shows etc, and should be limited to flight simulators!
Stark raving mad, and dangerous even without the possibility of drones- but of course drones were very likely to be flying at that altitude, whether legally or not. Then of course there was the chance of sea birds including pelicans, which brought down a low flying F111 not too far South of there years ago, OR a medical issue or mechanical issue or pilot error, all of which happen.
However pulling high G's in among crowded buildings is in my opinion nothing short of criminal. I complained to CASA, but although agreeing with me, they just said we can't touch them, and have no jurisdiction. So I said : "So the airforce could fly over my place supersonic at 100' and the law couldn't touch them!" And they said yep, that's correct!", insane!
If drone pilots are flying 100% by the rules, it's about time the aircraft pilots took some responsibility.

Last edited:
If he was in uncontrolled airspace and not near built up structures both horizontal and vertical according to regulations you can legally fly at ground level. Or he may have been training for forced landings or a field inspection prior to an unplanned landing. All kinds of reasons and very legal.
In virtually all cases, very illegal!
(BTW I do know what I'm talking about as 26,000 hour airline captain!)

Drone pilots break the rules but so do aeroplane pilots, like Mark above who admits to buzzing his house at 150-200'. You can't do that, it's illegal, period, and had he hit a drone (or something else, eg: a bird, a power line etc) the fault would lie 100% with him. Obviously we drone pilots need to do the right thing, and do our very best to avoid aircraft (especially considering for example a helicopter which could be emergency services and therefore flying at any altitude), but so do recreational pilots, and if they break the rules, that's where the responsibility lies, end of story!

Last edited:
Reactions: T3rdEye
I've written the following many times in this forum. Helicopters, unless they are flying under FAA Part 135 (carrying passengers commercially) has no minimum altitude under FAA Part 91. Even under FAA Part 135 the minimum altitude is 300' AGL.
FAR 91.119 (d) states Helicopters If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface - (1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA. The routes are normally close to Major Airports.
When flying helicopters I've crossed the United States Coast to Coast and all the way through Central America to South America cruising at 300' AGL legally. It keeps me below most fixed wing aircraft yet it's a comfortable altitude to autorotate in case of an emergency. When flying heavy multi-engined airplanes I try to get above18,000' ASAP. No matter if a drone pilot feels that his or her drone has the right-of-way he or she will be at fault even if the drone is being flown commercially in case of a collision. Until the Regulations are changed accept reality!

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
I live in the Los Angeles area, there is low flying air traffic all the time. I just keep an eye and an ear out for them and if any even come around my flight area I get low ASAP.
Gotta just be ready all the time.

This is a very good discussion and I’m glad that Don quoted the actual regulation.

Pilots often fly under Visual Flight Rules and are responsible for separation from other aircraft. We take on the same responsibility.

Definitively drone have to give way to manned aircrafts whether big or small. If one thinks about it with common sense, first thing to do before drone lift off is to assure yourself
you are alone in the vicinity and having LOS will prevent surprises of that sort.

Reactions: With The Birds
Definitively drone have to give way to manned aircrafts whether big or small. If one thinks about it with common sense, first thing to do before drone lift off is to assure yourself
you are alone in the vicinity and having LOS will prevent surprises of that sort.
That is the easy part. It is not definitely and not assured. I still play hell trying to get out of the way of the helicopter that keeps buzzing my ridge. One time I was higher than the copter when he came. Scares me major. Fortunately we weren't directly in each other's path, but too closd for safety. Yes, I could see my phantom 4 and I was under 400ft. I'm under no restrictions and lots of forest. Well one, my buddy has a private airfield nearby. We fly at his place sometimes. I was waiting for DJI to shut me down for taking off on an airfield. Lol

This is what the CFRs say.

B. Over congested areas. ·Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2.000 feet of the aircraft. (c) ·Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In that case, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

So, it depends where you were flying. If you were in a city then yes the plane should not be that low. If you were out in the country, where no one was around, then the pilot can fly that low. IF he saw you, then he must climb or fly away from you.

Don

If an Airplane or Helicopter Pilot sees a drone common sense would dictate that the pilot should avoid the Drone to prevent in-flight damage to the Aircraft that he or she is flying but the pilot is under no legal obligation to veer off or maneuver to prevent a collision. Usually the pilot will have seconds if even that depending on the aircraft and the airspeed being flown. Also if you are miles away from a town, city, etc don't assume that there are no fixed or rotary aircraft flying low. I live up at 8,000' ASL in the middle of nowhere up in the Rocky Mountains and had just landed my Inspire when all of sudden a V22 Osprey came over the ridge behind my house at approximately 150' above the 120' trees on a training mission. I started flying in the 1950s when there where no drones, hang gliders, etc. The sky now is crowded down low now.

Reactions: BigAl07
If an Airplane or Helicopter Pilot sees a drone common sense would dictate that the pilot should avoid the Drone to prevent in-flight damage to the Aircraft that he or she is flying but the pilot is under no legal obligation to veer off or maneuver to prevent a collision. Usually the pilot will have seconds if even that depending on the aircraft and the airspeed being flown. Also if you are miles away from a town, city, etc don't assume that there are no fixed or rotary aircraft flying low. I live up at 8,000' ASL in the middle of nowhere up in the Rocky Mountains and had just landed my Inspire when all of sudden a V22 Osprey came over the ridge behind my house at approximately 150' above the 120' trees on a training mission. I started flying in the 1950s when there where no drones, hang gliders, etc. The sky now is crowded down low now.
I am struggling to imagine a circumstance where a pilot might not take the see and avoid option when it was safe to do so.

I just had near miss with a Baltimore City police helicopter last week....I was hovering at around 275' and the helicopter came out of nowhere....I was surprised how quick it came up on me....It headed straight for the drone...It was hard to tell if the helicopter was slightly above or below me and I did not have the video running at the time unfortunately. ...He flew slightly past, then stopped and hovered, as if he were looking at the drone, or me....I made no control inputs and stayed in the hover mode....After a few seconds he just flew away...I brought it down and hung around about 30 minutes, but nobody showed up so I figured I was not in trouble....There is no way that copter was above 400' I believe.....Did I do this right?

I just had near miss with a Baltimore City police helicopter last week....I was hovering at around 275' and the helicopter came out of nowhere....I was surprised how quick it came up on me....It headed straight for the drone...It was hard to tell if the helicopter was slightly above or below me and I did not have the video running at the time unfortunately. ...He flew slightly past, then stopped and hovered, as if he were looking at the drone, or me....I made no control inputs and stayed in the hover mode....After a few seconds he just flew away...I brought it down and hung around about 30 minutes, but nobody showed up so I figured I was not in trouble....There is no way that copter was above 400' I believe.....Did I do this right?
There is no minimum altitude for helicopters. Visual line of sight is there so you can see and avoid obstacles and other aircraft. You should only fly in and from locations where you can clearly scan the airspace for other aircraft, it is always the responsibility of the UAS pilot to yield to manned aircraft.

Wow, that would limit a lot of flying in WV. I would have to be on top of the highest ridge and it would be clear of trees. With WV. Being about 85% forest, that would be a hard one. That would totally solve my problem with the helicopter coming over the ridge without me knowing it. I just wouldn’t be flying.

Works good with cars too. They have to Give way to pedestrians. Don’t drive in cities. Too many obstacles you can’t see around. A pedestrian might run from behind one in front of you. So make sure you are in a clear open field and you can see pedestrians better. Or the pedestrian can use a little common sense. Cooperation on both sides helps.

Also remember, there is going to be a greater use of commercial drone in the air also, deliveries, etc. No easy answer. That’s why the FAA has their hand full.

Wow, that would limit a lot of flying in WV. I would have to be on top of the highest ridge and it would be clear of trees. With WV. Being about 85% forest, that would be a hard one. That would totally solve my problem with the helicopter coming over the ridge without me knowing it. I just wouldn’t be flying.

Works good with cars too. They have to Give way to pedestrians. Don’t drive in cities. Too many obstacles you can’t see around. A pedestrian might run from behind one in front of you. So make sure you are in a clear open field and you can see pedestrians better. Or the pedestrian can use a little common sense. Cooperation on both sides helps.

Also remember, there is going to be a greater use of commercial drone in the air also, deliveries, etc. No easy answer. That’s why the FAA has their hand full.
Silly comparison with cars, but that aside, by all means fly where you can't see the airspace and take your chances. I'm pretty confident that what I said is sound advice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers