Plane almost hit my drone!!!!!

Reaction score
I was flying at 210 ft drone was loading mission.Suddenly I hear a plane and here it is right on me in seconds.I couldn't move drone and the plane made violent turn and was solike close it blew lmy drone 20 ft..What the ****???.So fast as I was in small clearing in trees so not a lot of time to see.I got no video and no time to get I'd from the plane.I was in area where millionaires live.I had green light from use forecast and airmap app.Also from Dji app all said good to go as I have flown here many times.Question...Or statement..They would undoubtedly have blamed the bad drone for the crash if he hit my drone...He was probably a rich moron buzzing his house..Really 200 feet!!! FAA needs to keep better track of aircraft that break the laws they are supposed to be smarter than us dumb drone pilots..Yea.. So how does airport track this plane then it drops below radar and then reappeared?? HOW do they not see that??..

Last edited by a moderator:
That would depend on where airplane took off from?

( we have a closed community near by, that uses its roads as take-off and Landing strips, and planes ( small Cessna style mostly ) drive up and down the streets, you MUST yield to them if you are in a car. I've done construction work inthere before, only reason I know about it ) Fox Fire, in Sarasota, Fl. )

This being said
In Fox Fire ( here ) they mostly take off and land from the south ( natural wooded area south of them ) but occasionally (I'm sure weather is the cause ) they take off/land from the North ( although rare ) they go over my house, around 3-400' up, they are not on my DJI airport map, not sure why, but I usually fly lower than usual when I see small planes in the area!
So
If there is a private or community airstrip close by, causing the low altitude flight, he has no excuse, for that kind of BS'ery!

If there were a crash, your craft would have logged your altitude, and blame would be on pilot!

We have another problem with police helicopters, flying through around 200' all the time, but I can hear them coming in time to bring my drone to safe height, but still BS!

They need to pay less attention to drone pilots, and look into these actual pilots breaking the law, making us look bad!

This j-hole will now go to his flying buddies, and claim a drone almost hit him while flying today!
Never saying he was too low and breaking the law!

But I hear you
Sometimes the good guys suffer!
J Dot
:cool:

Reactions: DKG13CC and MTO
You should have listen the airplane... They are usually very loud. No excuses for you not to bring the drone down immediately you hear a plane approximating the drone. You are not wrong or right about flying in the area... But the right thing to do is to bring the drone down, period.

So an anonymous poster makes unsubstantiated claims and there are already judgements made regarding culpability???

LOL.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
You should have listen the airplane... They are usually very loud. No excuses for you not to bring the drone down immediately you hear a plane approximating the drone. You are not wrong or right about flying in the area... But the right thing to do is to bring the drone down, period.
Why are you placing blame? He said when he heard it , the plane came on him fast. Low flying planes don’t project sound like one flying higher. I have the same problem with a low flying helicopter. I also wear hearing aids. They only aid and not cure my hearing. With hearing aids you can’t tell sound direction. Lighten up .

I did look into helicopters and their set heights ( within the law ) and locally here, it is minimum 400'
So I asked why police choppers, were 200' or lower, they responded with,

400' is minimum distance from ground to successfully AUTO-rotate the craft in a landing due to engine failure. ( small commercial and private Helicopters ) this is while HOVERING!
( including NEWS, Police and private helicopters )
Now
Police choppers can fly lower, but MUST maintain FORWARD MOMENTUM, ( with momentum auto-rotate can work successfully at lower altitudes )
That is why you always see the police choppers moving, never hovering ( even if you watch COPS, on Tv, the heli shot is always moving, or at least circling around )

EMERGENCY CHOPPERS ( can operate in any circumstances ) any altitude. ( life-flight or similar rescue/emergency helicopters )

I was told it was MY responsibility to safely move my craft to make way for any POLICE OR EMERGECY HELICOPTERS, in my area REGARDLESS THE LAW!

I was told to report any other plane or helicopter flying lower than 400' to the authorities, but must include plane Identification numbers ( lol ever try reading the numbers on a plane as it zooms by? )

So now if I hear anything, I just bring her down!

Hope this helps
J Dot

Unmanned aircraft don’t have a pilot inside the drone... a helicopter or airplane have a pilot or people inside. The airplane with people inside have more rights in the air than a drone. You are risking lives there when an airplane or helicopter is flying very close to the drone. The right thing to do is bring the drone down for security reasons.

Reactions: Sagebrush
It would likely aid the discussion significantly if we knew where you were flying but only to the extent it may shed some light on whether we might expect the manned AC to operating in that area. The reality remains, UAV must always give way to manned AC, no exceptions.

Try the app - plane finder.
You can see (most) all planes and helicopters in the air, their tail, altitude, flight path and more.

Very handy for a quick ID of what’s above you.

Hi, I live in the North area of Pittsburgh. A week or so ago, it was a nice evening and I was going to fly, but then heard that the authorities were conducting a manhunt in the area. I did not fly. Always good to understand traffic patterns in the area, either routine or situational. They did catch the scumbag the next morning.

Rob

Try the app - plane finder.
You can see (most) all planes and helicopters in the air, their tail, altitude, flight path and more.
It's easy to get a false sense of security from the app.
The app can only give you data for planes that have an ADSB transponder.
So that's good for high flying airliners and only some of the many smaller planes - the ones that fly lower and are likely to be more of a concern.

Hi, I live in the North area of Pittsburgh. A week or so ago, it was a nice evening and I was going to fly, but then heard that the authorities were conducting a manhunt in the area. I did not fly. Always good to understand traffic patterns in the area, either routine or situational. They did catch the scumbag the next morning.

Rob
Very wise. I'm NW of the 'burgh and learned the first week of flying to stay clear of cops even when they are just hanging out at the donut shop.

Reactions: T3rdEye and KentA
I did look into helicopters and their set heights ( within the law ) and locally here, it is minimum 400'
So I asked why police choppers, were 200' or lower, they responded with,

400' is minimum distance from ground to successfully AUTO-rotate the craft in a landing due to engine failure. ( small commercial and private Helicopters ) this is while HOVERING!
( including NEWS, Police and private helicopters )
Now
Police choppers can fly lower, but MUST maintain FORWARD MOMENTUM, ( with momentum auto-rotate can work successfully at lower altitudes )
That is why you always see the police choppers moving, never hovering ( even if you watch COPS, on Tv, the heli shot is always moving, or at least circling around )

EMERGENCY CHOPPERS ( can operate in any circumstances ) any altitude. ( life-flight or similar rescue/emergency helicopters )

I was told it was MY responsibility to safely move my craft to make way for any POLICE OR EMERGECY HELICOPTERS, in my area REGARDLESS THE LAW!

I was told to report any other plane or helicopter flying lower than 400' to the authorities, but must include plane Identification numbers ( lol ever try reading the numbers on a plane as it zooms by? )

So now if I hear anything, I just bring her down!

Hope this helps
J Dot

I have read that except for takeoff, landing and emergencies, the minimum altitude for aircraft is 500'AGL and that was a driver for our 400'AGL limit... To provide a 100' buffer.

Nonetheless, we drone pilots are to always give way to any manned aircraft.

I only have one advice. Turn the S1 switch up (your mission is interrupted) and go quickly down with your drone.

Reactions: Flick6211
this week I was up around 315' looking at the abandoned marina about 3 blocks from my home.
the drone was i around 1400 ft away. I also heard an aircraft coming from the east of my drone I instantly started lowering the drone. But the plane was coming fast and low. My fanny puckered because I could not see it. Maybe 5 to 10 seconds after I first heard the plane I saw it for a split second. the drone was at 276' when I saw it! It was a seaplane not over the river but flying over the neighborhood a little over 300'.I got the drone low enough to not be able to see it with the drones camera. thank goodness. My fault, their fault If the plane had crashed because of my drone It would be hard to live with that on my conscience.

My fault, their fault If the plane had crashed because of my drone It would be hard to live with that on my conscience.
Not just that, you could be charged of the accident and spend a long time in jail if there are any dead from the crash.

I have stunt pilots who practice stunt maneuvers over homes at less than 1000 feet and fly over the marine sanctuary at altitudes that are below that allowed by the feds for this area but no one polices the pilots. There is no law enforcement for private pilots who fly recklessly or even under the influence which is also not uncommon. Small wonder that private plane crashes are 35 times that of commercial planes with their professional pilots.

This is what the CFRs say.

B. Over congested areas. ·Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2.000 feet of the aircraft. (c) ·Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In that case, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

So, it depends where you were flying. If you were in a city then yes the plane should not be that low. If you were out in the country, where no one was around, then the pilot can fly that low. IF he saw you, then he must climb or fly away from you.

Don

Reactions: Conn and FLYBOYJ

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl