Photos of Violations

That only works 1X. The OP is going out searching for these closing his very own loophole.

Yes sir- I fully understand and agree with you. There "was" away around all this for the O.P. prior to his original post and those who know about law and prosecution understand what and where I'm going with it.

Reactions: BigAl07 and sar104
How timely! Just received an email from the FAA
FAAST Blast — Week of May 15, 2017 – May 21, 2017
Biweekly FAA Safety Briefing News Update

You and UAS

Did you know that any operation that changes the purpose of your drone flight from fun/hobby to “a job” could put you under part 107, even if there is no direct compensation? Get the facts by reading, “When Do I Need a Certificate: A Look at Hobbyist vs. Commercial Requirements for Small UAS” in the May/June 2017 issue of FAA Safety Briefing at: https://adobe.ly/2pTwaCN.

I just prepared a letter and sent it to the FAA, stating that I am getting ready to take the part 107 test. I explained exactly what I am doing (photographing violations of the LNG pipeline construction companys) I expect a reply will keep you all advised on a return reply.

Last edited:
That is an interesting use case. It's not really recreational under the FAA definition, and I guess that my concern would be retaliation on the part of the contractors in the form of reporting you for unlicensed activities. Once reported, the FAA has no choice but to investigate.
He never said he was recreational. He just asked if he is legal.

I just prepared a letter and sent it to the FAA, stating that I am getting ready to take the part 107 test. I explained exactly what I am doing (photographing violations of the LNG pipeline construction companys) I expect a reply will keep you all advised on a return reply.
I'll be interested in hearing their response. Bet you lawyer would have had a heart attack if you showed him the letter!! IMO, you just sent them a confession of illegal actions. Best guess is that you will get a strongly worded response to cease and desist until/unless you have your 107 certification. But be prepared, you could be fined and would have no defense since you have, in effect, already pleaded guilty!

Reactions: sar104
I'll be interested in hearing their response. Bet you lawyer would have had a heart attack if you showed him the letter!! IMO, you just sent them a confession of illegal actions. Best guess is that you will get a strongly worded response to cease and desist until/unless you have your 107 certification. But be prepared, you could be fined and would have no defense since you have, in effect, already pleaded guilty!

You're suggesting FAA is malicious - I just don't believe that. If they want to stop getting help from pilots they'll do what you said.

You're suggesting FAA is malicious - I just don't believe that. If they want to stop getting help from pilots they'll do what you said.
No, not malicious, but they are tasked with investigating and enforcement. There are potential penalties and I'm just pointing out that the OP's letter to them puts him at risk. Do I think they would impose a fine, no - but I would expect the 'stop' letter.

Sorry, there is no way that this could be accepted as 'hobby flying'. And don't assume that the FAA would look the other way just because you might be doing a good thing. A violation is a violation, 2 wrongs don't make a right and one agency, the FAA, rarely concerns itself with another. And you are hardly flying 'within FAA guidelines' if you are violating Part 107.

As long as the guy is not being paid and is enjoying it, it is recreational. I strongly disagree with the quoted comment. I'm a licensed pilot and a recreational UAS operator.

The OP is more likely to get his tires slashed (or worse) by the violating contractor than he is to suffer any problem with the FAA.

Maybe, but it has been stated by FAA personnel on numerous occasions that they don't have any discretion if violations are reported to them - they have to investigate. For most non-commercial use, no one is going to report you so it's likely moot, but in this case there may be a third party with ample motive to complain.
Yes, I dob people in if they are flying illegally. 15 so far and growing.

The FAA safety briefing article said, "...anything that takes the purpose of your flight from fun or hobby to “a job” could put you into part 107 even if there is no direct compensation."

My hobby is taking photos of conditions that maybe hazardous to the environment. My basement rec-room walls are covered with photos of these conditions I've taken over the years with my phone or my Phantom. I like flying trying to follow AMA guidelines. I usually take-off and land on a public sidewalk near the hazardous condition at a construction worksite. Although the Corps of Engineers have never instructed or directed me to take these photos, I enjoy sending them copies of my photos. It really adds a "fun kick" to my hobby. It's nice knowing there's no gain or even profit made from hobby. My real job as a beer vender at Bulls' games is quite different from my hobby.

The above story is fiction, but it represents how I feel the OP has a hobby and not a commercial endeavor requiring part 107 involvement. It's a hobby and there is no implied, indirect or expressed direct compensation. The "gain" is not quantifiable.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
1495935031993.jpg

A photo that was taken at a horizontal directional drill site. No silt fencing, no sediment samples taken this was a clean creek a few days ago.

Paid or no paid is not the determine factor, as long as it is for business purpose, it requires 107.

My comment...

"If you're not being paid and not supporting a business or occupation function"

I think I said that quite clearly in the second part of the sentence.

I get no pay from anyone.
I have no buisness of any sort.
I have no occupation I am retired.
I have taken over 1500 photos and have recieved not the first dime. I buy my own paper, ink and bullet proof vest out of my disability check. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: FLYBOYJ
I get no pay
I have no buisness
I have no occupation I am retired
I have taken over 1500 photos and have recieved not the first dime. I buy my own paper, ink and bullet proof vest out of my disability check. :)

You don't need to try to convince anyone here of anything. You started this thread by asking for opinions on whether you are breaking FAA rules. You received a mixture of informed and uninformed advice on that. Now you just need to make up your own mind, rather than arguing against the advice, because the advice is not going to change.

I am not trying to convince anyone. I was just trying to address some of the questions that was ask. And I do thank each and everyone on you imput and advice. I will continue to study for my part 107 and will let you all know what the reply was to my letter to the FAA was.

Thanks again,
Ronnie

Reactions: Rob Levine
I am not trying to convince any one. I was just trying to address some of the questions. And I do thank each and everyone on you I'm put and advice. I will continue to study for my part 107 and will let you all know what the letter to the FAA has to say.

Thanks again,
Ronnie

OK - fair enough. I think that many of us will be very interested in the FAA's response, and I hope that it is favorable. Good luck with the 107 - it's not difficult if you master the basics.

Reactions: Ronald Reedy
If one is in question of commercial use of drones, why not contact the FAA as "anonymous" with a scenario and ask for clarification.

For the most part there is no need to contact the FAA "anonymously". Their availability and willingness to answer questions may vary region-to-region, but for the most part a question like this should be answered easily by talking to a operations inspector.

I deal with the Denver FSDO several times a month, but again I maintain aircraft for a living. The people I deal with are very easy to talk to and quite helpful.

Going back to the original topic of this discussion, I see no foul in what your doing Ronald and even if one of those violators were savvy enough to contact the FAA and question your activities, I doubt your local FSDO would have the interest and probably lack the resources to pursue this. My 2 cents...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor