Photographing churches - A little help please

Reaction score
I have a question surrounding the aerial photographing of churches. Over the years (and as a hobby), I have photographed likely hundreds (if not 1000's) of churches. All with permission from each church and all without compensation. Moreover, in the vast majority of instances, I would - as a gesture of thanks for allowing me to photograph - email the church a few images in turn.

My question is this, given the scenario above - and applying it to drones - would I now need to acquire a 107 to do the same thing from the sky? I want to be in compliance but am unclear as to whether 107 applies in this instance given as I am not charging nor accepting compensation for said imagery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Not a lawyer, but based on past examples like the FAA fining someone $55,000 for giving away footage, I would be very careful here. You could create a web site to show your hobbyist photos and let the church know about that site. If they want to download any of the images, that would be their concern.

Reactions: KentA
My question is this, given the scenario above - and applying it to drones - would I now need to acquire a 107 to do the same thing from the sky? I want to be in compliance but am unclear as to whether 107 applies in this instance given as I am not charging nor accepting compensation for said imagery.
There should be no problem for you.
It's your hobby and there's no law against sharing photos.

The Caterina case mentioned above was a strange one.
It was two years ago and searching for further information brings up no additional information.
Here's what he was actually charged with: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2853123/FAA-Accusation-2.pdf
There have been nothing else of a similar nature despite hundreds of thousands of drone flyers engaging in their recreational drone photography..

There should be no problem for you.
It's your hobby and there's no law against sharing photos.

The Caterina case mentioned above was a strange one.
It was two years ago and searching for further information brings up no additional information.
Here's what he was actually charged with: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2853123/FAA-Accusation-2.pdf
There have been nothing else of a similar nature despite hundreds of thousands of drone flyers engaging in their recreational drone photography..
Much appreciated.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel