Phone alternative for DJI App?

Reaction score
Does the DJI drone need to be on the DJI app to fly manually? I tried to start it up inside the house with propellors off to see if it can work without the iPhone app. It didn't really work, but once I put the phone it worked. I know there are some metal switches on the top corners, do any of those help switch to manual or app mode?

Also do you have to use a phone or Tablet w/ cellular service for the app to work since it uses a map to guide itself home. Does the drone load the map to the phone or the map from the phone?

I was considering to get an iPod Touch and wondering if it can work without 4G network. Just because the app uses a ton of battery, would rather not have to use my phone if I don't have to. So that way I can leave my phone in my pocket and conserve its battery so I can still get calls during the day. Plus what if I get a call and it blocks my screen midflight or may be in the middle of "coming back home".

Does the DJI drone need to be on the DJI app to fly manually? I tried to start it up inside the house with propellors off to see if it can work without the iPhone app. It didn't really work, but once I put the phone it worked. I know there are some metal switches on the top corners, do any of those help switch to manual or app mode?
I know that in your other thread you said that you read the User Manual. Please read it again. The uses of the S1 and S2 switches are detailed in the manual.

Also do you have to use a phone or Tablet w/ cellular service for the app to work since it uses a map to guide itself home. Does the drone load the map to the phone or the map from the phone?
No, but if it's a WiFi only device, then you will need to cache the maps while attached to WiFi if you want them to come up when you are not connected.

I was considering to get an iPod Touch and wondering if it can work without 4G network. Just because the app uses a ton of battery, would rather not have to use my phone if I don't have to. So that way I can leave my phone in my pocket and conserve its battery so I can still get calls during the day. Plus what if I get a call and it blocks my screen midflight or may be in the middle of "coming back home".

My experience with my iPad Mini 2 is that the app does not use "a ton of battery" while using my Phantom. But no, there is no "4G" iPod Touch.

If you are using your phone, you could/should put it in Airplane Mode while using it with your Phantom to avoid distractions. You also could just dismiss the phone call if one happens to come in during the 18-20 minutes you are actually in flight.

I know that in your other thread you said that you read the User Manual. Please read it again. The uses of the S1 and S2 switches are detailed in the manual.

No, but if it's a WiFi only device, then you will need to cache the maps while attached to WiFi if you want them to come up when you are not connected.

My experience with my iPad Mini 2 is that the app does not use "a ton of battery" while using my Phantom. But no, there is no "4G" iPod Touch.

If you are using your phone, you could/should put it in Airplane Mode while using it with your Phantom to avoid distractions. You also could just dismiss the phone call if one happens to come in during the 18-20 minutes you are actually in flight.

I read about everything except those switches. And I did not need to use those switches during my first flight, most of it was manual flight, used the go home feature a few times just to get used to it. But didn't try the other automated features yet like follow me, circle me, or make a route.

Flying without learning all the controls and functions is just a disaster waiting to happen. If you get into a pickle and don't know how to recover just tell your Phantom good bye. Everyone on here has been polite and trying to tell you how important it is to learn all the controls and functions. If you don't next week your going to be on here asking how to repair it or how to find it when it flys away. Do yourself a favor and sit down and think. This is an expensive craft and I would believe you would want to be sure of your skills before having a mishap. But like all guys we want to do first and the read the instructions when something goes wrong. Not a smart idea with this type of craft.
Good luck and be safe.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl