Phantom videos on Youtube

Reaction score
There's something I don't understand, and maybe someone can educate me.

At the end of just about every day, I go to Youtube to view videos. How-to videos, review videos, music videos, and more. I always type "DJI Phantom" in the search box, and set the filter to upload date to see if there's anything new.

There's generally three pages of new Phantom videos every day. Almost all of them are first flight or test videos, and it's rare to find something interesting. For example, if I do a search for "Phantom 3 unboxing", there's 549,000 results. The latest one today is from an hour ago, and the next most recent from 19 hours ago.

If I do a search for "Phantom 3 review", there's 1,460,000 results, with the most recent being 6 hours ago.

"Phantom first flight" yields 404,000 results, with a Phantom 3 first flight from 25 minutes ago.

Most of the recent videos have no views.

Phantom 3 unboxing and review videos were interesting early this year when the Phantom 3 was released. I know there's some great scenic videography mixed in with all of this, but it's simply too time-consuming to wade through it all.

Why upload videos now that are repetitions of repetitions of repetitions of repetitions?

Why do people still take photos of the Grand Canyon? Or the Eiffel Tower? Or the moon?

There's something I don't understand, and maybe someone can educate me.
Why upload videos now that are repetitions of repetitions of repetitions of repetitions?
Because ....

1. People think that theirs is interesting.
2. They want to share with other people ... particularly people they know.
3. Some people are trying to gain views on their channel.
4. Tons of other reasons.

Because ....

1. People think that theirs is interesting.
2. They want to share with other people ... particularly people they know.
3. Some people are trying to gain views on their channel.
4. Tons of other reasons.

That makes sense, more or less. I understand why people are taking videos. I do it all the time, but I don't have anything interesting enough from my Phantom to upload to Youtube.

That makes sense, more or less. I understand why people are taking videos. I do it all the time, but I don't have anything interesting enough from my Phantom to upload to Youtube.

That's the cool thing about YouTube, there's no requirement for how interesting something has to be to upload. I upload plenty of non-interesting stuff to be able to share them with friends (usually I'll keep it unlisted though).

Some people may upload first flight videos to YouTube for ease of sharing with friends. I should know, I just did this.

i like what i do that is why i upload my phantom videos. and i want to share the nice scenery (for me i like the content maybe you can like it or not) but the problem is you are right there are few good channels with different aerial content but it is hard to find them.
maybe the search is saturated with the Word "phantom.." because it is always the same keyword. do you have an idea which search term we can use to get known by the audience in youtube ?
i do nearby every 1-2 weeks a new video about (in my opinion) nice sceneries.
here is my channel tell me if you like it or not Phantom Boy be honest i have no problem. i always try to be better. and im always trying to be different.
@Monkeyleg

I think bearfoot summed it up... it's exciting to those people as it's a brand new toy to them so they think anyone who watches the video will feel the same way. If you were having a Lambo delivered to you home you might film and post it arriving as well. To someone that had had several Lambos... no so interesting. Just an example. Most of those "unboxing" videos are also easy to produce. You just let the video run, edit the start and end and upload it. When I put together my (mediocre at best) flight videos, it takes a long time to edit them together. This is why you see less of these edited videos being posted.

Copterfan, there is a gorgeous scenic video of Iceland somewhere in the millions of Phantom videos. It won an award of some kind. Maybe putting the word "scenic" in the title might help, although people recording video flying over their homes might call that "scenic' as well.

I know I'm stepping on some toes here, and also vaulting at windmills. Youtube isn't much different than Facebook except for the time necessary to upload a video. On Facebook you get to find out what cereal everyone had for breakfast. On Phantom videos on Youtube, you get to see what the driveways of millions of people look like.

I think what I should do is bookmark the home pages of makers of videos I like (such as Simon Newton). One thing that's helped is using negative search terms. If I enter "DJI Phantom -first flight -unboxing -maiden flight -impressions -review" it cuts down considerably on the number of results.

I use the search filters and that seems to narrow it down to more relevant and interesting vids. I also you use specific search terms, for example, "Phantom 3 river" That brought up some cool river aerial vidz...

I post on Facebook and YouTube mainly for family and friends. With YouTube it is easier to link sometimes. If most people are alike the everybody would be super excited to post a first flight video which will most likely be a video around their house. With me that means a shot of Lake Superior, which I can't get enough of. Freighters. Surfers. Endless beach. Oh...and numerous shots of my house and backyard.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers