Phantom line-up is dead...

Michael Oldenburg from DJI essentially gives away what’s to become of the Phantom line during an interview at the Mavic press event in NYC: the new Phantom will be out before the end of year, it may see a slight size increase over its current body size and will be stepping into the shoes of the (commercial) inspire 1 (although probably not as big and definitely smaller than a M 600). the current inspire 1V.2 now retails for $1999 which is the prime price location for a phantom V with a 1 inch sensor Hasselblad camera with interchangeable lenses This will essentially be the end of the line for the hobbyists versions of the Phantom series, leading the hobbyist more into the Mavic series and more serious film makers into the phantom series.

TL;DR: instead of trying to make the Phantom more compact, they’re turning it into a mini interchangeable lens inspire and it’ll be out in the winter.

Let me tell you guys.....Im doing side by side lab tests in the next 3 days on actual resolution charts that CLEARLY show the P4P4 beating the crap out of the Mavic-II camera in resolving power. The P4P does a FULL PIXEL READOUT. The Mavic-II Pro does heavy line skipping in "FOV" mode and center cropping in "HQ" mode. Wait till you see the side by side tests.

I’ve been on the fence with buying the M2P because every time I see footage from the M2P it Is leaving a lot to be desired compared to the P4P. I look forward to your tests

Reactions: lasersbee
Michael Oldenburg from DJI essentially gives away what’s to become of the Phantom line during an interview at the Mavic press event in NYC: the new Phantom will be out before the end of year, it may see a slight size increase over its current body size and will be stepping into the shoes of the (commercial) inspire 1 (although probably not as big and definitely smaller than a M 600). the current inspire 1V.2 now retails for $1999 which is the prime price location for a phantom V with a 1 inch sensor Hasselblad camera with interchangeable lenses This will essentially be the end of the line for the hobbyists versions of the Phantom series, leading the hobbyist more into the Mavic series and more serious film makers into the phantom series.

TL;DR: instead of trying to make the Phantom more compact, they’re turning it into a mini interchangeable lens inspire and it’ll be out in the winter.
This makes perfect sense to me. Different markets, different drones.

I'm still amazed with what I get with the P3P at 4K and a Neewer 32ND filter.

Can’t believe how sensitive folks are in this place to a some very expected bad news
The news is not bad. You've just tried to make this expected event more important than this thread deserves.

All product lines change. My only surprise is that this announcement on the phantom did not occur the day the p4pv2 was released. It seems DJI decided to wait until the Mavic 2 series came out so they could lump it all together.

You are trying to create a massive mountain chain out of a tiny ant hill.

Love my p4pv1 and expect years of service, parts availability, and help from others here with this awesome sUAS.

Enjoy your 15 minutes.

Reactions: deltamike
Can’t believe how sensitive folks are in this place to a some very expected bad news
It's not bad news at all.
Was it bad news when the P1 & P2 reached their end of life?
It's just what happens with advancing technology.
I can't understand why you continue to try to spin this as something big when it's something nothing.

Reactions: deltamike and Hoss
Can anyone translate what exactly that notice (that purports from being from DJI but ....) says?

Chinese to English is tough. A lot can be read into these sorts of communiques if you're not careful.

For example, what does 'end of life' actually mean? That they're not selling them? If that is they case is anyone actually surprised? That they won't support them? That hasn't been DJI's way of doing things. They have actually offered some pretty good extended support - parts and such. So if you crash the thing, you can probably get it fixed. They won't be sending out more firmware versions - that may be viewed as a feature by many. DJI has never back ported features into older models (for example, tripod mode would have been pretty easy to back port into the Phantom III but that's not how DJI rolls).

So I'm not sure what the Sturm Und Drang is all about. People expecting a Phantom 4 version 2.4?
End of Life... means that they will no longer manufacture and sell the product after existing stock runs out. They will possibly still support the product for some years after the End of Life.

It's not bad news at all.
Was it bad news when the P1 & P2 reached their end of life?
It's just what happens with advancing technology.
I can't understand why you continue to try to spin this as something big when it's something nothing.

I understand the whole end of life thing but originally you said the article didn’t even say “ the Phantom line has ended” then you backpedaled and insinuated the publication is not being truthful , but the Phantom line is listed as EOL by DJI, so it’s easy to believe them when they say the “Phantom line is dead”
Until DJI announces otherwise I believe it to be true

I understand the whole end of life thing but originally you said the article didn’t even say “ the Phantom line has ended” then you backpedaled and insinuated the publication is not being truthful , but the Phantom line is listed as EOL by DJI, so it’s easy to believe them when they say the “Phantom line is dead”

Hilarious

The way you appear to be oblivious to what's been pointed out to you numerous times really makes it look like you are just trolling.
DroneDJ's sloppy writing had a couple of mentions of their feeling that a P5 is coming soon but you choose to ignore that and push your idea that the Phantom line is ended.
If you want DJI to make an announcement, just listen to this: jump to 6:00 to hear what you are asking for.

Reactions: TheKestrel
I have a P4P and an MP v1. I love them both so I'm definitely not a DJI hater. However, DJI is an even better marketer than they are a drone builder and right now many are acting like their trained monkeys as they quickly suck the oxygen from their competitors. Just saying.

I have a P4P and an MP v1. I love them both so I'm definitely not a DJI hater. However, DJI is an even better marketer than they are a drone builder and right now many are acting like their trained monkeys as they quickly suck the oxygen from their competitors. Just saying.
Competitors?
What company is competing with DJI?
The closest "competition" comes from tiny a company that just took 6 months to release their latest product after announcing it.
The only drone they sell is a knockoff of the Mavic that DJI released two years ago.

They're trying to follow Apple. For better or worse.

But I just don't see what the issue is here. The Mavic 2's are here. DJI is going to try to sell them.

The Phantom 5 / x / next gen isn't here yet. DJI isn't going to say much except the standard tech homilies.

The way you appear to be oblivious to what's been pointed out to you numerous times really makes it look like you are just trolling.
DroneDJ's sloppy writing had a couple of mentions of their feeling that a P5 is coming soon but you choose to ignore that and push your idea that the Phantom line is ended.
If you want DJI to make an announcement, just listen to this: jump to 6:00 to hear what you are asking for.

Lol he said he can’t comment on it , that proofs nothing at all , sorry

Reactions: anotherlab
Lol he said he can’t comment on it , that proofs nothing at all , sorry
You are very selective with what you choose to read or hear.
You've just confirmed that you're just trolling.
You missed him saying ...
(Rick) I've got to believe that the Phantom line is alive and well and we may see something coming in that space?
(Michael (DJI)) Yep, yep, yeah and I think you'll see a lot of innovation on Phantom especially as it relates to the commercial and enterprise industry. There's innovation happening there for sure.

You’re killin’ me, Smalls!

Line from the movie "The Sandlot," meant to show extreme frustration towards someone's ineptitude or clueless-ness, sometimes both. ‘You're killing me, Smalls’ definition by Urban Dictionary.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor