Phantom crashing itself while landing - I've tried all I can think of

Reaction score
I am beginning to think my Phantom 2 is just purposefully trying to crash itself. I have a Phantom 2, no attachments except prop guards. When I first got my Phantom about 2 months ago it took off and landed perfectly every time. The past couple of weeks each time I try to land it, it spools up and flies in whichever direction it wants to. I have tried everything listed on this forum (besides hand catching) and nothing works.

I am not going to catch that thing, I just don't trust it enough. How can I land this stupid thing?? Should I remove the prop guards? do they cause some kind of wind current that pushes the phantom? Is there some kind of factory restore on the software that may help?

I have..

• installed all latest updates
  • wait until the phantom lights of green for ready before starting up motors
  • calibrate the compass
  • land on flat, short grass
  • take my time
  • use the left stick only for cutting the motors
If I am completely missing something please let me know. I have contacted DJI twice - once in May and once a week ago - without any kind of response.

The past couple of weeks each time I try to land it, it spools up and flies in whichever direction it wants to. I have tried everything listed on this forum (besides hand catching) and nothing works.

Please describe the above a little more. When does the "spool up and flies in whichever direction" part happen? How close to the ground are you when this occurs and what position are your sticks at?

A video would help immensely.

Please describe the above a little more. When does the "spool up and flies in whichever direction" part happen? How close to the ground are you when this occurs and what position are your sticks at?

A video would help immensely.
Thanks for the reply. I am scared to go out and try to fly it again. My prop guards are officially destroyed. But I can describe it better.

I am flying the phantom and I will slow it down to a stop about 9 ft in the air. I will slowly pull it down towards the ground while correcting its movements as it bobs in the wind that is being pushed from the ground towards the phantom. As it gets to the ground (about 3-5 inches from it) it will bounce up and down and skid around, I try to keep it sitting on the ground but it just won't stay. That is about the time the motors spool up very quickly and flip the phantom or throw it into an object. It all happens in half a second and I have the motors turned off by time the phantom is laying on the ground upside down or sideways. The whole time (besides when it starts flipping) I am slowly pulling the left stick down. Once it is in mid flip, I am pulling the left stick all the way down to shut the motors off. The motors seem to stay on full throttle while it is flipping over, and I have no control over it besides shutting the motors down using the left stick.

I've never flown with prop guards so it's hard for me to weigh in on ground effect. Perhaps someone with specific experience there can jump in.

Here's my input. Sounds to me like you're coming in too tentatively. Get her close to where you have a clean hover, maybe 1-2 feet. Then go full down on the left stick and keep it there until the motors stop. Commit and execute.

Landing on short, flat grass is good. Keep the video running. I'm not sure I'm picturing it right, if you've destroyed prop guards.

Consider hand-catching also. It's a necessary skill. There's a lot info on the forums, but here are the basics.

1. Turn the drone around so the camera is facing away from you. This way, you won't look stupid on video.
2. Put your quad in a clean hover, downwind from you.
3. Right hand grasps the landing gear as high up near the body as you can. Keep the rotors above your head. Left hand goes full down on the stick. Hold the Statue of Liberty pose until the motors shut down.
I grab the battery but that's a little closer to the blades. I've only given myself the Phantom manicure once.

That was probably the issue, I was afraid it would just smash into the ground or something. I took all the prop guards off and immediately noticed the phantom takes off much easier. I did try the hand catch and it worked beautifully both times. Without the prop guards it is much less intimidating and the phantom itself weighs a bit less. I'll stick with catching by hand and I won't order any new prop guards.

That was probably the issue, I was afraid it would just smash into the ground or something. I took all the prop guards off and immediately noticed the phantom takes off much easier. I did try the hand catch and it worked beautifully both times. Without the prop guards it is much less intimidating and the phantom itself weighs a bit less. I'll stick with catching by hand and I won't order any new prop guards.
Good to hear. I was not going to recommend it as you said you'd not do it. Hover jus about your head height, walk up to the drone and reach about and grab the landing gear right where it meets the body. Push the left stick down while keeping the Phantom stationary. Once you do it a few times its easy.

I cut off finger will grow back in no time. A damaged Phantom means you won't be able to fly. Easy choice.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj