phantom - build from ground up

Reaction score
work in progress but i have managed to scavenge left over parts from a phantom 1.5 upgrade...

basically reworked the old v1.1.1 shell to accommodate the multistar 5200mah battery, sunnysky 2212 980kv motors with afro ESCs, and the naza m lite as flight controller. As for the transmitter - i used frsky d8r-ii plus with voltage and rssi telemetry. it is a tight fit with the wires running around!!

i have also put on a dys 3 axis gimbal with the gopro.

AUW without the props is 1400g inclusive of the 5200mah 3s lipo - i will be using 9x4.5 HQprops (APC style) which is in the mail.

I can probably lose some more weight by trimming the wires and soldering rather than using 3mm connectors. I might use lighter ESCs to shave some more weight! the DYS gimbal is also quite hefty but it does work fairly well in getting stabilised video (second to the h3-3d imho!)

check out the pictures

so far all the electronics works ok, though the motors are not as smooth as the DJI's - i can feel some vibrations as compared to the phantom which is essentially vibration free. will take it out for a spin when the props arrived, and see how it flies!

Nice work...especially the GPS mounting solution!

I ran those same motors on my 1.5 and still would be if I could use the DJI 9443's on them. I ended up going with the Graupner 9x5 E-props and they performed admirably. TBS sells them for $30 for a set of 4 (2 cw + 2 ccw) if you want to check them out. I eventually swapped in some E300 motors and 9443's and still use them now.

gemfan does have the 9443 props that is compatible with the sunnysky motors - i am deciding if i should get them!

...the props came in today but didnt have time to fly the phantom today.

realised the vibration from the motors were from poorly mount motors - they were nice and smooth after some adjustments and screws tightening!!

hopefully can bring it out for a flight soon!

Wtneo said:
gemfan does have the 9443 props that is compatible with the sunnysky motors - i am deciding if i should get them!

I know gemfan makes a few 9443 versions now, but I didn't know that either of the non-self-tightening versions would work with the sunnysky's!

Do you happen to know if it's these (carbon-nylon blend): http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=2750

..or these (just nylon): http://montorc.com/9443_Black_Props.aspx

If you can confirm which it is, I'll order them and test them immediately!

Took the maiden flight out today - some initial observations

The sunnysky motors run very smooth, fairly similar to the original dji motors. The controls are ok with my gains setting, so far good for AP flight.

The DYS smart gimbal with the gopro runs surprising well, got it cheap on the forum and there is zero jello with my hero 3 black running 2.7k 30fps :cool:

Flight time is less than desirable but the lipo i used is not fully charged. will use a fresh one and see how the actual flight time will be.

A short clip of the flight

No jello and fairly locked in - but probably will do better with some further tuning the alexmos pid settings

http://youtu.be/J7e12rENj48

**edited. uploaded to youtube at a higher bitrate

I've modded a Phantom Vision with a NAZA M v2 and a Graupner MX-12 HoTT 2.4 Ghz receiver.
Doing so I was also able to add things like the DJI iOSD mini.

I was thinking of mounting the GPS like you did, but as I wanted to keep the "clean" look of the Vision did not really wanted to do this.

After some rewiring I managed to put (read force) the GPS that came with the NAZA M v2 inside the shell.

Unfortunately I was having compass issues with it (toilet bowl effect).
The compass is inside the GPS module, and I guess all the electronics inside were messing with the compass.

The GPS from the NAZA M v2 looks almost the same (when opened) like the original one what was inside the Vision. The only thing missing was the compass part.

The connector on the standard GPS is not the same as the one from the NAZA M v2, but it does fit in the NAZA, and gave it a go.
Guess what.. It worked!

The Vision is now flying perfect. All I'm waiting for now is a SJ4000 camera what I'm going to hookup to the Skyzone 5.8G 200mW 32CH AV Transmitter.

My build can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28090

Noël said:
I've modded a Phantom Vision with a NAZA M v2 and a Graupner MX-12 HoTT 2.4 Ghz receiver.
Doing so I was also able to add things like the DJI iOSD mini.

I was thinking of mounting the GPS like you did, but as I wanted to keep the "clean" look of the Vision did not really wanted to do this.

After some rewiring I managed to put (read force) the GPS that came with the NAZA M v2 inside the shell.

Unfortunately I was having compass issues with it (toilet bowl effect).
The compass is inside the GPS module, and I guess all the electronics inside were messing with the compass.

The GPS from the NAZA M v2 looks almost the same (when opened) like the original one what was inside the Vision. The only thing missing was the compass part.

The connector on the standard GPS is not the same as the one from the NAZA M v2, but it does fit in the NAZA, and gave it a go.
Guess what.. It worked!

The Vision is now flying perfect. All I'm waiting for now is a SJ4000 camera what I'm going to hookup to the Skyzone 5.8G 200mW 32CH AV Transmitter.

My build can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28090

nice work! ...should try on a brushless gimbal!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl