Phantom 4 Working w/ Slo-Mo In Post

Reaction score
Hi there,

I typically fly the Inspire 2 Pro, but I decided to whip out the P4 for a hike. I have been recently shooting everything in higher FPS so that in post I have the option of going slo-mo when needed. Having not used my P4 all that much I realized that when I shot in 120 FPS (Slo-mo) it actually fixed the video to be slo-mo. When I put it in premiere even with posterize time (24 FPS) and a 24 FPS project it seems slo-mo is still present. Was wondering if anyone had a solution to remove the slo-mo? I figured speeding it up would do the trick, but I need to sync audio and this is becoming challenging. Any ideas or leads would be greatly appreciated!

~Thanks

Hi there,

I typically fly the Inspire 2 Pro, but I decided to whip out the P4 for a hike. I have been recently shooting everything in higher FPS so that in post I have the option of going slo-mo when needed. Having not used my P4 all that much I realized that when I shot in 120 FPS (Slo-mo) it actually fixed the video to be slo-mo. When I put it in premiere even with posterize time (24 FPS) and a 24 FPS project it seems slo-mo is still present. Was wondering if anyone had a solution to remove the slo-mo? I figured speeding it up would do the trick, but I need to sync audio and this is becoming challenging. Any ideas or leads would be greatly appreciated!

~Thanks
Basically you shoot 120FPS you either need a 120FPS project to add the clip to then if all footage on the timeline is 120 FPS render/export to whatever your delivering (eg. 24FPS , 30 FPS) then the software will decide which frames to use. 120 divide by 30 is every 4th frame or 120 divide by 24 is every 5th frame.
Not sure how Premiere handles this. or if your project is mixed FPS and you use 24 FPS then adjust the speed of the 120 FPS footage to match what you want. 5 times speed equals real time
Try to use a multiple of your project.for 24FPS 24fps,48fps, 72,96 for 30 FPS 30,60,90

Ya audio will be off unless you use the 120FPS project or speed the video clip up 5 times for 24FPS or 4 times for 30fps

Basically you shoot 120FPS you either need a 120FPS project to add the clip to then if all footage on the timeline is 120 FPS render/export to whatever your delivering (eg. 24FPS , 30 FPS) then the software will decide which frames to use. 120 divide by 30 is every 4th frame or 120 divide by 24 is every 5th frame.
Not sure how Premiere handles this. or if your project is mixed FPS and you use 24 FPS then adjust the speed of the 120 FPS footage to match what you want. 5 times speed equals real time
Try to use a multiple of your project.for 24FPS 24fps,48fps, 72,96 for 30 FPS 30,60,90

Ya audio will be off unless you use the 120FPS project or speed the video clip up 5 times for 24FPS or 4 times for 30fps

I totally understand all of this, it's just I've never seen footage that was "hard coded" slo-mo. Basically, I was wondering if there is a setting for future reference or workaround for the fact it was already slowed down in post. In other words, I shot 4-5 minutes of footage, but the clip was already 8+ minutes due to it being slowed by the P4 OS. The math for some reason didn't work either, I tried speeding to 500% with the same idea you gave, but it was far too fast, 400% for whatever reason was the sweet spot where I synced to the audio. Even though the project is set in 24 FPS. It's just the P4, I've dealt with clips like this shooting at 120 FPS on the Inspire, or my Sony always yields real "Run time" with the ability to slow down in post.

I have the same issue when I take 120fps on my camera. No matter how I play it, it plays in slow motion. I think this is actually a function of the player/editor. It is set to show the video at 24 or 30fps so it automatically needs to slow down the clip. It would need to be set to drop frames otherwise.

I did a quick search and it appears that there might be a setting in Premier to adjust for this:

Working with 120fps video? | Adobe Community

Some more info but I don't know if it really answers the question:

Working with 120 fps Footage | Adobe Community

I have the same issue when I take 120fps on my camera. No matter how I play it, it plays in slow motion. I think this is actually a function of the player/editor. It is set to show the video at 24 or 30fps so it automatically needs to slow down the clip. It would need to be set to drop frames otherwise.

I did a quick search and it appears that there might be a setting in Premier to adjust for this:

Working with 120fps video? | Adobe Community

Some more info but I don't know if it really answers the question:

Working with 120 fps Footage | Adobe Community

Thanks for the tip, still doesn't work though, I tried interpreting the footage, it just made it slower and longer.

What worked for me is if you speed the duration of the clip to 400% and are using a 24 FPS timeline the footage matches the audio and frame rate of the other native footage. I'm working specifically on a music video, so having the client lip sync was obviously intended. so using that 400% speed bump played out just like 24 FPS, and was able to seamlessly match. I'm convinced this is not the "proper" way, but it is working for now. I really wish there was a way to change this setting. I know for a fact when I shoot 120 FPS on my sony and put it into 24 FPS timeline this has NEVER happened, same for the Inspire 2, only on the P4.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl