Phantom 4 takeoff and flips

Reaction score
Hi I just bought a phantom 4 and didn't notice it has a crack on one of the arms. When it takes of it has no control at all and tips over immediately, should I replace the main board?? What would cause this???

Which direction does it flip forward, backward, left, or right?

Is it always the same direction?

Check that props on front left and right rear have the same pitch, and front right and left rear are the same pitch. Both front and both rear should have opposing pitch.

Not enough data for sure. Describe exactly how it flips as DoonMeister said.
And did you get any warning messages on the screen?
I think that the best you can do is to take it to the service for repair.

Which direction does it flip forward, backward, left, or right?

Is it always the same direction?

Check that props on front left and right rear have the same pitch, and front right and left rear are the same pitch. Both front and both rear should have opposing pitch.
At Phantom you can't put the wrong propeller on.

Seems you have a motor not spinning same speed as others. With prop off, try spinning each fast by finger to check for bad bearings in one or more. Hopefully you received a warning on screen. There are other things that control motor speed as well and logs may explain what’s happening at takeoff. Many previous posts explain how to retrieve them and post here for review (use the search function top of page).

Hi
When it flips does the broken arm drop in relation to the aircraft. It may have a damaged motor caused when the arm was cracked.

Make sure the propellers have the correct pitch direction and are installed in the right place. I don’t have a P4 and never looked at one closely, but based on my experience with other RC multi rotor and fixed wing RC aircraft, your description sounds like the pitch is wrong on one or more props and/or a motor is spinning the wrong way.

The previous owner may have replaced a broken prop with one with the wrong pitch, or they may have dismantled the cracked arm and plugged or soldered the motor in wrong, reversing it. To reverse a motor, swap any two of its three wires.

Make sure the motors and props are spinning the right way and the props are pitched properly before assuming something else is wrong. It is possible to reverse a motor in a flight controller’s firmware on some brands, but it doesn’t happen by itself and I don’t think DJI provides the software to do that, so it’s very unlike the motor reversed unless someone wired it wrong.

If the motors are undamaged, and the motors and props turn the right way, and the prop pitch is correct with respect to direction of spin, the next thing I would look into is a bad ESC.

Reactions: DoomMeister
I just got a Phantom 4 and I put all props on correctly checked the direction of motors etc, as soon as I applied power it just flipped. I looked at one prop and it looked fractionally different to the opposing one (tips were a few mm lower), replaced that one prop and it was fine.

I just got a Phantom 4 and I put all props on correctly checked the direction of motors etc, as soon as I applied power it just flipped. I looked at one prop and it looked fractionally different to the opposing one (tips were a few mm lower), replaced that one prop and it was fine.
One thing that I discovered that caused mine to flip once in a while was trying to take off on uneven ground. Even though the ground might look even there might be a little slope to the ground. I find it useful to get down to ground level and make sure the ground is level now. And another thing I use is a landing pad to keep debris and grass away from the drone.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic