Phantom 4 RTK

GCP's are still the way to go.
We still gather GCP and checkshot data on every job, but we can get accuracies with RTK/PPK (without processing with the GCPs) that are just as good as with ground control. The technology is impressive and it has allowed us to reduce our GCP density and spatial distribution. For some non-technical projects, we've taken them out completely.

At the moment, you can add an RTK (really PPK, but essentially the same for this discussion) to a Phantom/M200/M600/Inspire for about $6,000. This might seem like a lot, but in terms of a precision mapping instrument, it's fairly cheap. So, with an AirGon Loki and a P4P, you're looking at about $8k. I would imagine that DJI would have to beat that price AND include the post-processing software to be competitive. There's also the Klau for $12k-$15k.

Those of us that are in the mapping industry were really excited about the M210-RTK, but it doesn't allow for precise geotagging of the imagery, which is what we need for accurate mapping. It gives precise location data, but only in a relative sense and not to a base station.

I would suggest to look at new project DJI PANTOM 4 RTK/PPK
DJI PHANTOM 4 PRO RTK-PPK

Survey grade GNSS GPS/QZSS L1, GLONASS G1, BeiDou B1, Galileo E1, SBAS receiver built in standard DJI Phantom 4PRO body and integrated with 20 MP camera. It allows to record photos locations with centimeter level accuracy.

Now you can process data in Photoscan or Pix4D, etc. software and turn your images into highly precise, georeferenced 2D maps and 3D models without ground control points (GCP).

Attachments

• EA6E9149-15FC-4B0D-A2A0-6EC9CC7A97DB.jpeg
    EA6E9149-15FC-4B0D-A2A0-6EC9CC7A97DB.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 601
Yep, sure thing.
It's actually a fairly long article.

"On June 12, 2018, the Dajiang industry application official WeChat announced the official release of the Phantom 4 RTK UAV, which is said to combine the centimeter-level navigation and positioning system with the high-performance imaging system. In the compact and portable body, the aerial survey efficiency and accuracy are improved, and the difficulty and cost of operation are reduced."
"The Phantom 4 RTK uses a dual backup GNSS system. The high-precision GNSS system uses real-time differential positioning technology. The GPS/Beidou/GLONASS 3 system 6-frequency RTK provides centimeter-level positioning for the aircraft. Back up high-sensitivity GNSS systems to stabilize flight with weak signals.

Users can also choose a network RTK or self-erecting base stations to apply real-time positioning differential technology.

The system provides satellite raw observations and camera exposure files to support PPK post processing. It is not limited to communication links and network coverage, and the operation is more flexible and efficient."

"With the clock synchronization design, the Phantom 4 RTK's flight control, camera and RTK clock system achieve microsecond synchronization, and camera imaging time error is controlled in milliseconds."

"The Phantom 4 RTK market guide price is ¥23999."
= 3500 USD

At the moment, you can add an RTK (really PPK, but essentially the same for this discussion) to a Phantom/M200/M600/Inspire for about $6,000. This might seem like a lot, but in terms of a precision mapping instrument, it's fairly cheap. So, with an AirGon Loki and a P4P, you're looking at about $8k. I would imagine that DJI would have to beat that price AND include the post-processing software to be competitive. There's also the Klau for $12k-$15k.

Those of us that are in the mapping industry were really excited about the M210-RTK, but it doesn't allow for precise geotagging of the imagery, which is what we need for accurate mapping. It gives precise location data, but only in a relative sense and not to a base station.

Exactly what I'm using. Works great. Will have to see how the P4P RTK compares.

m200_loki_1.jpg

Hi guys, would appear there's a couple of reviews out there already for it:

Exciting times!

Hi,

I have some questions about the P4 RTK system that I'm a bit confused about.

I operate in Zambia and Zimbabwe and fly drones commercially here. Typically we use ground control points but the P4 RTK looks like a good drone to get.

1. Does the P4 RTK work with 3rd party base stations (topcon/trimble)? Or does it only work with the DJI D-RTK Base?
2. Wireless connectivity is a bit of an issue here, where I operate there is often times no mobile network coverage; we also don't have NTRIP or CORS networks that are constantly updating. The nearest I believe is TRIGNET in South Africa some few thousand kilometers away. How would I be able to make use of the PPK technology? Would I fly the mission as normal, and then post process the coordinates against an online source in the office?
3. Do you actually need a base station or NTRIP/CORS network connection? Could you not just fly the drone, and then on post processing compare drone values with an online source?
4. Any kind of workflow or links would be much appreciated.

I'd just like to confirm the above before I go off and buy the P4 RTK. Thanks to anyone who can assist.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have some questions about the P4 RTK system that I'm a bit confused about.

I operate in Zambia and Zimbabwe and fly drones commercially here. Typically we use ground control points but the P4 RTK looks like a good drone to get.

1. Does the P4 RTK work with 3rd party base stations (topcon/trimble)? Or does it only work with the DJI D-RTK Base?
2. Wireless connectivity is a bit of an issue here, where I operate there is often times no mobile network coverage; we also don't have NTRIP or CORS networks that are constantly updating. The nearest I believe is TRIGNET in South Africa some few thousand kilometers away. How would I be able to make use of the PPK technology? Would I fly the mission as normal, and then post process the coordinates against an online source in the office?
3. Do you actually need a base station or NTRIP/CORS network connection? Could you not just fly the drone, and then on post processing compare drone values with an online source?
4. Any kind of workflow or links would be much appreciated.

I'd just like to confirm the above before I go off and buy the P4 RTK. Thanks to anyone who can assist.

Hi, You can operate the P4RTK in PPK mode which does not require any real-time radio link. That needs a PPK post processing software which you can use the KlauPPK software to handle base station options, coordinate systems and long baselines.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj