Phantom 4 Pro V1 vs V2 range

Reaction score
Looking for the actual feedback from the pilots who HAD BOTH drones and can give some feedback as far as the range and video quality of V1 vs V2. Does V2 really fly further after the latest firmware update that increased the theoretical range from 7km to 10km vs V1 which is only 7km? How's the remote picture quality of V1 vs V2? Thanks

Reactions: Makadrony
I'm a V1 owner who has just acquired a V2. I haven't flown it yet and don't plan on testing the 10 km range any time soon.
FYI:
I've taken the V1 out to 7 km and returned with about 10% battery to spare. There's a video on YouTube of an 8.5 km return flight, with the battery at 5%. I've exceeded 8 km on a (planned) one-way trip and could have gone further had it not been for a stiff head-wind.
For maximum theoretical range on return flights, both drone variants have the same limiting factor - the battery. However, increased signal strength is a bonus at any distance. I was hoping to get this from the V2's Ocusync even before this range boost update. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeA138
I have V1.
I don't think these distances have any practical value at least in terms I'm flying the drone - taking pictures and videos.
So flying to 10% of the battery has no reasonable purpose for me. On some rare occasions I was forced to fly to 10% but usually I land at 30%.
But I would like to clear something. Is that distance related to the overall length of the flight or we are talking about the distance from the RC. In the first case, I can easily fly 6-7km and land at 30% but usually less because of frequent stops for taking pictures. In the second case, my max flight distance is 1.4 km when usually the video signal terminates. So obviously I don't care about 7 or 10 km. If it is important to someone then I think 8 km can be easily reached if the terrain is optimal but the signal will be lost much sooner.

I have V1.
I don't think these distances have any practical value at least in terms I'm flying the drone - taking pictures and videos.
So flying to 10% of the battery has no reasonable purpose for me. On some rare occasions I was forced to fly to 10% but usually I land at 30%.
But I would like to clear something. Is that distance related to the overall length of the flight or we are talking about the distance from the RC. In the first case, I can easily fly 6-7km and land at 30% but usually less because of frequent stops for taking pictures. In the second case, my max flight distance is 1.4 km when usually the video signal terminates. So obviously I don't care about 7 or 10 km. If it is important to someone then I think 8 km can be easily reached if the terrain is optimal but the signal will be lost much sooner.
We're referring to distances from the controller - possible only under the FCC standard. The CE (European) standard gives a reduced range.
I agree that these long distance flights have no practical value. You can't pause to admire the view! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: OzoneTech
I'm a V1 owner who has just acquired a V2. I haven't flown it yet and don't plan on testing the 10 km range any time soon.
FYI:
I've taken the V1 out to 7 km and returned with about 10% battery to spare. There's a video on YouTube of an 8.5 km return flight, with the battery at 5%. I've exceeded 8 km on a (planned) one-way trip and could have gone further had it not been for a stiff head-wind.
For maximum theoretical range on return flights, both drone variants have the same limiting factor - the battery. However, increased signal strength is a bonus at any distance. I was hoping to get this from the V2's Ocusync even before this range boost update. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Cool, let us know how it goes when you eventually try it out. Live feed on the V2 should be 1080 30p vs 720 30p on the V1 also. Let us know if you get less live view "flickering" at a distance vs the V1

I have V1.
I was thinking you should get a more stable, clearer picture with the V2 vs V1 on the live view. When I fly my V1, I start getting flickering on the live view when the drone is a good distance, maybe about a mile away. I always wanted to see how good of a picture you would get with a V2 and ofcourse if you get a longer flight distance since it was increased to 10km with the latest V2 firmware update. I would agree with you that when you are filming and taking pictures, distance does not matter that much.

Cool, let us know how it goes when you eventually try it out. Live feed on the V2 should be 1080 30p vs 720 30p on the V1 also. Let us know if you get less live view "flickering" at a distance vs the V1
Just tested the new drone and am very disappointed. I'm getting a slight yaw drift, sometimes present, sometimes not. But it's worse when I use the sticks to yaw: The response is inconsistent. The rotation slows, then speeds up, then slows again. Not always, but most of the time. Smooth orbits are next to impossible. And sometimes at the beginning of a yaw instruction the drone will actually turn in the opposite direction before correcting itself. This is a brand new drone body with the latest firmware, and I have four years experience flying the V1.

I didn't notice any picture quality difference, although the light was poor at the time and I didn't travel far. It would seem that you don't get the 1080p transmission when shooting in 4K. I can't comment on signal strength.

There are posts online going back four years with people complaining about the yaw. I can't believe DJI haven't fixed this!

If you are willing, you can try this: YAW P4P v2 Drift My Fix... Maybe Yours Too

It seems like V2 with yaw issue is a hit or miss. I posted in this thread a few days ago:

And one of the replies was that a purchase from B&H had no issues with the yaw OR maybe the user just didn't test it well enough, which is also a possibility.

What a bummer, I was thinking about buying a V2 in a couple of months, but, looks like the problem is still there.

Mine was purchased at B&H last year and have no issue with yaw. Hand-off sticks, rock solid stable.

I don't have anything specific to say about the range since I usually don't fly beyond 1 Kms or outside line of sight.

The differences between the 2 are subtle but noticeable. They aren't of the "V2 blows V1 out of the water" type.

V2 feels much more responsive, the controller connection is more solid and stable (this will probably have advantages for very long range operation). The camera systems are identical.

Reactions: gppms
Just an update regarding my new V2.0: The yaw problems I encountered during my first outing (detailed above) were only experienced once, and in passing (just after launch), during my subsequent two outings. In some ways, an intermittent problem is almost worse than a consistent problem. I will continue trialling.

I haven't attempted any long-range flights as yet, but my impressions of the V2's Ocusync are very positive. It's noticeably better than Lightbridge. At the margins of connection - typically with trees and other objects between the controller and the drone, the signal is stronger and the live view is more consistent. It's by no means revolutionary... but it is a marked improvement.

I like that the drone will automatically switch between 2.4 GHZ and 5.8 GHZ to get the best signal. It's easier than having to do it manually mid-flight. And sometimes you just forget that your bad connection is due to interference on the 2.4 GHZ band, and don't think to switch over.

Reactions: gppms
I have flown the V1 Phantom 4 Pro about 3 miles away from the remote and started to lose reception. This was in a wooded area. I felt I stretched its legs as far as I felt comfortable going.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav